All Topics / Help Needed! / Paying interest only?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of c-manc-man
    Participant
    @c-man

Hi,

I've noticed on all the home loan calculators that it gives you the option to pay interest + principal or just interest.

How does this work? Do you have to rely on yourself making extra repayments to pay the principal off? Any benifits / pitfalls of doing it this way?

Cheers,
    C-man

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi C-man

Generally speaking, interest only with an offset account will provide all the benefits of a P&I loan but with greater flexiblity. However, it's not for everyone – particularly those who aren't disciplined savers and will simply pay the bare minimal interest repayments each month.

What is the purpose of the loan that you're looking to take out? Owner occupied or investment property?

If owner occupied, do you think it will ever turn into an investment property down the track?

If an investment property, do you have any non deductible debt such as an owner occupied home loan, car loan, personal loan, credit cards?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of c-manc-man
    Participant
    @c-man

I have a personal loan and that is all.

I would like to go straight for an investment property as it would be cheaper for me to rent a place and own an investment property then live in a PPOR. Unless I live in it for the minimum required time and then change to an IP?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Hi c-man. That is what many people on this forum do for their first property- buy an IP but live in it for a short time (say a few months) and then move out so it is CGT free.

Participant
    @c-man

So buy the first house with your FHOG and then move out asap and make it an IP? And that will avoid Capital Gains Tax?

Participant
    @c-man

also what is the minimum time required to live in the house? I have read 2 years?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

For FHOG you will need to read up the office of state revenue for the rules. In NSW I think it is you need to live in the house for a minimum of 6 months commencing within the first 12 months of settlement.

I am pretty sure there is no time limit for claiming CGT exemption- just stick to the rules for FHOG and you should be fine.

Cheers,
    Luke

Participant
    @jamie-m

If it's an IP and you have non-deductible debt then I'd be looking at setting up the loan as IO with an offset. Wouldn't be a bad idea to speak with a decent broker about your plans.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of MozyMozy
    @mozy

My financial adviser tells me to buy an IP paying IO,not really keen on that,it is easier on the pocket though,but wouldnt be better business if I pay Interest and Principal as well?

Cheers…

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Mozy sounds like you should be getting a new Broker on board.

Cman as has been mentioned previously there are 2 points to bear in mind.

1. With the FHOG you need to occupy the property for 6 continous months commencing within the first 12 months.

2. With the Stamp Duty concession this will vary from State to State. In Qld for example it is 12 months but this may be different in Vic or NSW.

You may loose the Stamp Duty concession if you buy an investment property first but with the FHOG you will still get this.

There are the odd lender who will do 95% on a standalone basis without any genuine savings so this might be an option.
    You could take the SD Concession meaning less required deposit pocket the FHOG and use it for your first IP.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    Personally i would

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Mozy wrote:
    My financial adviser tells me to buy an IP paying IO,not really keen on that,it is easier on the pocket though,but wouldnt be better business if I pay Interest and Principal as well? Cheers…

Hi Mozy – here's a blog entry on the topic that you might find useful.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.