All Topics / General Property / The lowest maintenance house type for an IP ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi All,

What is be the best type of house to look out for as an IP, that would typically needs the least amount of maintenance.

Would brick be better than timber for the structure, a tin roof over terracotta tiles, aluminium windows instead of timber frames ?

I did a searched through the forum headings but didn't find much, I would appreciate any input or advise.  

Thanks.

Profile photo of MenunesMenunes
    @menunes

As I’m in the NT info will probably vary from place to place, but…
    I wouldn’t touch timber framed houses, steel only, brick even better.
    Tin roof over tiles.
    As for windows aluminium all the way!
    We have a strict building code here due to cyclones & hassles with termites, so I think it’s the area and cost of build rather than preferred options of the property…
    Probably no help to you at all!!

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Menunes,

On the contrary, any info is useful for making a decision on future properties.

Some areas I guess will be dependant on their environments, but we are trying to seek good long term house type that would have minimal repairs.

My next project is looking at being in Darwin with the new prison, any tips on good areas to live ?

Thanks.

@menunes

To live or invest in…? Big difference between the two…

I’m probably a little biased but palmerston is the go to live, as with any areas there are good and bad. Steer clear of the older suburbs (moulden, driver) newer suburbs are nice, but over priced (belamack, roseberry) nice houses available in Bakewell, durack, gunn.
    If you are looking at the northern suburbs don’t go to karama or it’s surrounds…

The market is a little weird at the moment as we have just had the Inpex announcement so house prices raised, dropped, skyrocketed, stable, now awaiting another boost. Don’t really know where it’s headed.

Lots of potential to invest, if only vendors sold for the price the house was actually worth rather than what they expect after Inpex move in (2014-6)

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Menunes,

Thanks for the Darwin info, we would be renting up there as my employer pays the living away from home allowance.

We checked out house and rental prices up there, I'm guessing that most houses come with gold toilet seats ?

So far for the low maintenance house : Brick, tin roof, aluminium windows.

What about inside : Tiles over carpet, blinds over curtains etc ?

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I guess it can depend on the location and enivronmental factors.

Our sturdiest IP which doesn't require much maintenance is double brick, tile and wooden floors. We replaced the kitchen and bathroom when we purchased it. Haven't heard too much from tenants over the last three years.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the input:

So far for the low maintenance IP house : Double brick, tin roof, aluminium windows, tile and timber floors.

@menunes

Sorry, no – no gold toilet seats, just ridiculous rents. In saying this though, ridiculous house prices to go with it…
    There are comments nearly on a weekly basis of tenants going off at the “greedy landlords” for charging so much, but really as an investor who wants to foot the bill for someone else living in your house?

As for interiors, anything that won’t rot is ok. Carpets, timber, vinal don’t last as long as they should due to the humidity. We have 6 months torrential rain so there is no way to keep everything dry enough to last. At a push you could probably get away with carpets to the bed rooms as southerners like it, but from a cost perspective I wouldn’t bother. If they want something soft under foot tennants can buy a mat…

If you are looking at renos, factor in “Darwin time”. Wet season (october-may) can’t get trades in as it’s too wet, dry season (may-october) they are too busy…
    Prices for anything are over and above what you would expect to pay anywhere else as we pay excessive freight bills on EVERYTHING.

In saying all that though, I love it! Been here many years & can’t imagine living anywhere else. I mean really… Where else would you get a newspaper that will have a croc on the front page EVERY day? Lol

Profile photo of gnggng
    @gng

Aluminum frame will transmit heat/cold more easier than wood.

Have a look here for comparison. http://windows.build.com.au/types/frames

Cheers,

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I feel you are going to greatly restrict yourself by looking for a house that is double brick, with a tin roof, with aluminium windows and tiled floors.

We have units, villa's and houses (of all materials (brick, timber, fibro), some with carpet, some polished floorboards, some tiles). No one stands out as far as needing more maintenance. Admittedly we've held most for less than 4 years.

Look art buying something solid and keep up any maintenance before it gets to be a big job. Find something under market value that way you have some pocket money for those odd jobs.
    Generally speaking though, units have less maintenance (some is also covered by body corp).

Participant
    @dubstep

Thanks gng,

The link was good but I noticed the timber option was pants in the low maintenance division, I would put the fibreglass option up there though !

Thanks Catalyst

Good advice about limiting options, but I don't have blinkers on when it comes to making a good investment choice.

I'm just looking to develop a basic criteria for the perfect low maintenance IP. My preference would be for a house over units, villa's and town houses. ( personal choice only )

So far for the low maintenance IP house : Double brick, tin roof, fibreglass windows, tile and timber floors.   ( What's next ) ?

Participant
    @dubstep

OMG, that sounded really arrogant of me !

What I meant to say is, I wouldn't have the blinkers on looking for just the perfect low maintenance house, I would always review the available property options for each particular market place before making investment decisions.

I'm no expert, that's why I joined up to this site. Sorry for the bad attitude in the last post.

So far for the low maintenance IP house : Double brick or steel frame, tin roof, fibreglass/aluminium windows, tile and timber flooring.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:
    I feel you are going to greatly restrict yourself by looking for a house that is double brick, with a tin roof, with aluminium windows and tiled floors.

I agree with Catalyst. A sturdy IP is always good but when shopping for a property there's other factors that should probably take precedence. Such as the location of the IP – is it in a growing area? Will you be able to attract decent tenants? What's the yield like? Can you add value? How is it priced relative to other properties/pass sales, ect.

If you narrow it down further and look for something that's double brick, tin roof, etc – you'll probably cop a dose of analysis paralysis and won't end up buying anything.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Jamie,

I agree with your comments, are there any growing areas that could be recommended ?

Thanks.

Participant
    @dubstep

I have just pinched a note out of forum topic: Will adding landscape to property make it worth more in the long run ?

I hope you don't mind waydo77.

"waydo77"  made the the comment : If its your ppor and you don't plan to sell for a few years make sure what you landscape will last without too much maintenance, eg colorbond over having to paint something yearly..it all adds up

I think that is a good point to add to the low maintenance IP house ! 

So far for the low maintenance IP house : Double brick or steel frame, tin roof, fibreglass/aluminium windows, tile and timber flooring.

External: Colorbond fencing and low maintenance yard and drive.

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi All,

I have just pinched another a note from the forum topic: Window coverings

Kate recommended : 

I would recommend plantation shutters – they are fixed to the window frame so they can't be pulled and there are not cords either, the only problem is they are on the expensive side, but probably worth it so you don't have to change them again for a while.

So far for the low maintenance IP house :
    Double brick or steel frame, tin roof, fibreglass/aluminium windows, tile and timber flooring.

External:
    Colorbond fencing and low maintenance yard and drive.

Internals:
    Window coverings : Plantation shutters.

Plantation shutters

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

dubstep you know what NT stands for? Not today not tomorrow not Tuesday not Thursday next time! So good luck with tradies! Why not go for a unit that would be a hell of alot easier to maintain in the long run

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Grandos Champos,

Today not tomorrow

Our IP's are in mining towns that have never even heard of units, it takes 6 hrs to drive out and do maintenance or inspections, so we aim to make the houses as robust as possible.

We are drawing up a game plan before we carryout any future renovations, so any advise from the experienced investor, for low maintenance options is appreciated . 

Not today not tomorrow not Tuesday not Thursday next time  ! !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.