All Topics / Help Needed! / Disappointing building inspection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of wblackwblack
    @wblack

We've received a disappointing building inspection report, not the end of the world, but some issue that don't sit well with us. If we did want to walk away from the contract, what issues would allow us to do that, and how bad do those issues need to be? Our main concern at this point are some drainage issues under and around the house, not critical, but they rated a mention and a 'be aware' flag. Another concern is that the builder has used 'cypress' stumps, yet it's a house of under 10 years in age. Obviously a cost saving for the builder at the time, but not a tab we really want to pick up sometime down the track.

Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Sounds like you should do two things. Talk to your solicitor and talk to a builder. These reports can be worded harshly to cover the ass of the building inspectors should things go wrong. I cant imagine there would be too many issues with a house under 10 years old. I could be wrong tho.

Get in touch with the building inspector and ask him about your concerns. If you are still worried get a inderpendant builder to quote on repairs. That should give you an idea on costs.

Get in touch with your solicitor, usally they will have a look at the inspection report and advise you from there.

Failing that,  in future make sure you have a cause in the contract that you will buy subject to pest and building and I always put finance. And dont sign anything until these things are in place.

Cheers Good Luck.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

As g0biin said above, chat with a builder and solicitor. When inserting the building and pest clause in the contract in the first place you can get your solicitor to word it correctly for you, or use something along the lines of "to the purchasers satisfaction". Then if you are not satisfied you can walk easily. Apart from the stump issue (which is up to you), if the drainage issue is able to be fixed, you may ask the vendor to pay for this, or deduct an amount off the sales price.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.