All Topics / Opinionated! / Vested Interests in the Real Estate Industry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Hi everyone

I came across this article in a Real Estate Agents Group and thought I would post it here for comments

http://theconversation.edu.au/a-toxic-mess-vested-interests-and-the-real-estate-industry-5905

The suggestion by the writer is that more regulation will fix the problem – I think this is incorrect. What needs to happen is the public needs to be more educated and understand that Agents are working for the Vendors IE the people that pay them.

What does the forum think?

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

The real estate industry in IS heavily regulated despite what some may say. We must adhere to a strict code of conduct and  take in thousands and thousands of pages of legislation to ensure we meet all requirements in our everyday jobs. We are actually bound by legislation to act in the best interests of the seller at all times – with huge penalties for not adhering to this.

There are 'cowboys' out there – but I'd argue that is just like any other industry. The problem with real estate is that it so heavily impacts on people's lives when they have a bad experience or have been lied to by an agent.

Within the industry there is currently a huge push by a majority of agents to clean up the public view of the industry by being more transparent. I for one am on the bandwagon big time – because I was brought up to be honest with people no matter the consequences (i.e. possibly losing a listing to an agent who quoted an unrealistic, higher figure) and I've found I get a positive response.

I could blab on about how the article is using international examples for local industry performance but it's an opinion piece… Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I agree with you KeyStrategies, it is about people recognising the role of an agent.

If you want sound financial advice – go to a financial planner and also refer to your accountant.
    If you want a real estate agent to find you the best deal as a buyer no matter which agency the listing is with – get a buyer's advocate.
    If you want advice on selling and market trends – go to a real estate agent with a good reputation…. and ask the right questions, see this post for examples https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4344370

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    Kristin Simondson PBRE wrote:
    The real estate industry in IS heavily regulated despite what some may say. We must adhere to a strict code of conduct and  take in thousands and thousands of pages of legislation to ensure we meet all requirements in our everyday jobs. We are actually bound by legislation to act in the best interests of the seller at all times – with huge penalties for not adhering to this………….

I agree with you KeyStrategies, it is about people recognising the role of an agent.

If you want sound financial advice – go to a financial planner and also refer to your accountant.
    If you want a real estate agent to find you the best deal as a buyer no matter which agency the listing is with – get a buyer's advocate.
    If you want advice on selling and market trends – go to a real estate agent with a good reputation…. and ask the right questions, ……

Finally an Agent that seems to get it, A Vendors Agent MUST act in the best interest of the Vendor (seller) when will buyers begin to understand this – Education NOT Regulation is the answer.

As for going to a Financial Planner to get sound financial advice I'm not so sure of that. Read this article for more Information http://www.hotspotting.com.au/article/2332-investors-being-robbed-blind-by-advisers

Cheers

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Hi Forum

Here is a Scale of Fees that Real Estate Agents Charge on selling a property

http://www.realestatefees.com.au/

Property Marketers and Investment Groups on the other Hand are being paid anywhere from $25,000 to $40,000 (and possibly more) to market and sell properties for Developers. Ask yourself why is it that the Property Marketing Companies (PMC's) only sell NEW properties. Their answer is Better Value, Better Growth prospects, Better Depreciation – But Never the fact that they charge and receive Commissions that the average person would consider to be grossly excessive and that the buyer ultimately foots the bills for.

What are your thoughts on the commissions charged by Agents and Property Marketing Companies?

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a
    Kristin Simondson PBRE wrote:
    …If you want a real estate agent to find you the best deal as a buyer no matter which agency the listing is with – get a buyer's advocate…>

Great advice :)

People should know better… but they often don’t is the issue, a combination of effective regulation and education has to be part of the answer.

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre
    KeyStrategies wrote:

What are your thoughts on the commissions charged by Agents and Property Marketing Companies?

Marketing and selling properties OTP is extremely time consuming and difficult in today's market, often involving setting up an on-site sales office that is not paid for by the developers. In this case I believe high commissions are necessary as the selling agent needs to recover the costs of set up. If however a financial planner or investment group (not a licensed real estate agent) is paid these kinds of commissions then I agree it may be far too much.

But we don't get the whole picture here… how much are the properties? Where are they located? Are the developers desperate to sell the last percentage to gain finance? Any of these factors could justify large commissions to anyone who finds a buyer and refers to their sales department. Tip – never buy a property though a group that is not licensed!

I can only comment on commissions charged in Victoria as I am not fully aware of interstate fee structures (i.e. who pays advertising etc.). Our charges are 2.2% including GST (which is fairly standard for metro areas) with vendor paid advertising. Any negotiation from there depends on the property's value and whether they have been a long term client etc. but at the end of the day the time and effort in selling a property in such a tough market shouldn't be underestimated.

Why I don't charge 1.1% and no one should: because it's not worth my time and I have a policy of exceptional service – you can't offer exceptional service for discount rates, it's just bad business practice. A lot of agents are discounting at the moment, but they work on volume – sell asap for whatever price is closest to the vendor's aim.

Regional and outer Melbourne agencies charge more for a few reasons – distance between the property and their office, average days on market for properties are higher and less buyers in the market makes for harder work. We sold our house in a rural area a few years ago and paid 3.9% plus advertising of $2000 on a $450,000 property. Houses in the area were averaging 120 days on the market at the time and most agencies were charging 2.5%… But I had a deal with the agent that if it didn't sell within 120 days they would pay advertising. The agent had it signed sealed and delivered within 3 weeks. Did we pay too much? Maybe. Did we get exactly what we wanted? Yes.

When selling, it really is quite simple… The market is rough at the moment so whilst paying more commission may seem undesirable, keep in mind – you are not the only client the agent has, so if you're paying minimal commission expect minimal results from most agents. Sad but true.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Key Strategies

1. your rates for Sydney are high, I would be surprised if I could find an innercity agent who would be game to charge any where near 2% (excl adverts).
    2. Yes, project marketing does cost more, I have seen plenty offering 4 or 5% comms for deals OTP (register the buyer).

Kristin

1. Agreed that divestment of rural property does take longer, 4 months is not unusual. Must have been a corker to have sold yours so quickly but if the price was right what is a few % points between friends?
    2. Great point regards % comms paid to agents, pay peanuts you get monkeys. Just like offering small incentives if a certain price is reached, make it worthwhile ie 20-25%, then you may see a bit more activity (but it is up to the buyers on the day as to how high they will go).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.