All Topics / Help Needed! / Serviced Apartment – Owner Occupied

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of FirstTimeInvestorFirstTimeInvestor
    @firsttimeinvestor

Hi all,

I’ve done quite a bit of reading and understand the general pitfalls of investing in a serviced apartment. However I can’t find much information on Serviced Apartments (SA) that can be owner occupied. I understand the potential risk with SA but if avoided and picked carefully I’m still optimistic that a big gain can be made. For example, I am looking at a few SA whose lease expires in 2 years. It is over 50sq metres in size and is situated close to public transport. It is priced at 300k but similar residential apartments near that suburb go for about 450k.

Is my optimism naive or am I right in that there is a high risk/high reward potential with SA if navigated properly? If there is high risk but high reward, what are the key factors that I need to consider? Would it be the following below?

– Ensure that the SA can be owner occupied at end of lease or within 90 days of purchase?
    – Ensure that council zoning will allow the SA to be used as a residential property?
    – The block of land has a high number of owner occupancy?

I guess I’m looking for advice to say YES there is potential as long as X factors are right, or a NO that SA cannot be converted to a residential property with residential-like capital growth.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

Why are you so focused on Serviced Apartments anyway if you know the risks?

Profile photo of FirstTimeInvestorFirstTimeInvestor
    @firsttimeinvestor

Hi Aaron,

I guess I’m still optimistic that if navigated properly, in 2 years of purchasing this unit its resale value would be potentially 50% or higher. It’s also in an extremely convenient location close to Sydney CBD and I wouldn’t mind living there for several years.

Essentially I see it as a high risk but extremely high reward potential. I understand its high risk but that is why I am trying to see whether it meets all the green lights. If there is a red light and a road block to seeing this investment being converted to a residential property I’m happy to walk away from it, but right now my mindset is that this is being overlooked and has great potential.

Does anyone have experience in purchasing a Serviced Apartment (SA), converting it into a residential property and then seeing its capital growth grow at rates similar to the market rate?

Profile photo of vinaysalian17vinaysalian17
    @vinaysalian17

Hi,

Did you end up investing in SA. Please share your experience.

Thanks,

V

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.