All Topics / Help Needed! / Please help I’m new :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Johnny24486Johnny24486
    @johnny24486

Hi all im 25 years old and have $100,000 left on my mortgage. The house is worth around $250,000. I’m currently renting it out for $275 a week. I’m living at my parents at the moment so I’m putting most of my income on the mortgage. I would love some opinions on what you think I should do?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Stop paying money off your mortgage and put it in an offset account instead would be a good start.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Hi

welcome to the forum !

I think you should speak to  a finance broker to see how much you can borrow.
    as Luke said stop paying money into the mortgage, instead put into offset account.

Once you have idea how much can you borrow, then you can start to look for the property within the price range.

I think it's a starting point.

I hope this will help

Good luck  : )

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

The boys have stolen my thunder.

With a decent amount of equity in the property it is also important you structure the loan correctly to ensure going forward is not happered with cross collateralised loans.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Johnny24486Johnny24486
    @johnny24486

Why should I put it into an offset account?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

To keep the funds fluid.

Once you pay down the loan you can redraw the funds and then claim a deduction on the interest.

If you decide in the future to buy your own PPOR you would want to minimise the non deductible debt and maximise the deductible debt. The net interest savings with an offset account is the same but it gives you choice.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @luke86

Putting money in an offset account will save you money when the time comes when you need a sum of cash for personal expenses. If you pay the money into your investment property loan, you would need to redraw the money from the loan to pay for your new car or new house to live in. Because it is redrawn, this counts as new borrowings. As the money is for private use the interest will not be tax deductable.

E.g. 1) You owe $100k on your investment loan with another $200k sitting available as redraw. You withdraw $200k to buy a house to live in (not an investment) bringing your loan balance back up to $300k. The interest on the original $100k is tax deductable as it is for an investment property but because this is counted as new borrowings, the interest is tax deductable as the purpose of you reborrowing the $200k was not for investment purposes.

E.g. 2) You owe $300k on your investment loan and have $200k in your offset account (same as example 1 but you have paid the extra money into an offset account instead of into the loan). You take $200k out of the offset account to buy your new house to live in. The interest on the entire $300k loan balance remains tax deductable as you have not reborrowed the money for personal use, and the reason why you have this $300k loan is to buy your investment property. This saves you $4200 per year compared to example 1 above, assuming marginal tax rate of 30% and a interest rate of 7%. This really adds up in the long term!!!!

Best to talk to a finance broker like Richard to make sure your structure is correct and to ensure your structrue is correct for all future purchases.

Cheers,
    Luke

Participant
    @luke86
    luke86 wrote:

E.g. 1) You owe $100k on your investment loan with another $200k sitting available as redraw. You withdraw $200k to buy a house to live in (not an investment) bringing your loan balance back up to $300k. The interest on the original $100k is tax deductable as it is for an investment property but because this is counted as new borrowings, the interest is tax deductable as the purpose of you reborrowing the $200k was not for investment purposes.

Sorry, the last sentence of that paragraph should have said:

The interest on the original $100k is tax deductable as it is for an investment property but because this is counted as new borrowings, the interest is NOT tax deductable as the purpose of you reborrowing the $200k was not for investment purposes.

Participant
    @luke86
    luke86 wrote:
    luke86 wrote:

Sorry, the last sentence of that paragraph should have said:

The interest on the original $100k is tax deductable as it is for an investment property but because this is counted as new borrowings, the interest is NOT tax deductable as the purpose of you reborrowing the $200k was not for investment purposes.

Bad day. It should have said:

The interest on the original $100k is tax deductable as it is for an investment property but because this is counted as new borrowings, the interest on the $200k that you redrew is NOT tax deductable as the purpose of you reborrowing the $200k was not for investment purposes.

Note to self- proof read next time.

Profile photo of Johnny24486Johnny24486
    @johnny24486

That’s disappointing to hear considering I’ve payed close to $70,000 off the mortgage in the last 18 months

Participant
    @luke86

Look on the bright side- you have managed to pay off $70k in 18 months, and only owe $100k on an investment property. There are plenty of people in worse positions than yourself!

I am sure a good mortgage broker can help you out with your future loans and structures to make sure you are being as tax effective as possible (of course tax is not the reason for investing, but you may as well structure yourself to be as tax effective as possible).

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of AndyDonnellyAndyDonnelly
    Participant
    @andydonnelly

I think you are in a very good position to leverage yourself into more properties.

Many people at your age are in personal/luxury debt. ( card loan, personal loan,…etc)

visit some mortgage brokers, have a chat with them. Then you can gain more knowledge and confidence to move forward faster than just paying your existing mortgage.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Johnny24486 wrote:
    Why should I put it into an offset account?

Hi Johnny

Look's like it's already been explained but if it helps, I wrote this article for Australian Property Investor magazine on this subject.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an offset account?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

It's an account you put money into, and the balance of it is treated as though you'd paid it off the mortgage (so you pay no interest on your mortgage as per however much is in the offset account).  So let's say your mortgage owings are $300k and your offset account contains $40k.  Your mortgage will be charged interest only on $260k.

The difference between simply paying your $40k onto the mortgage itself versus putting in an offset account is:

– In an offset account, you can withdraw the money whenever you want, to use for whatever you want, without anyone's permission and without paying a fee

– If you stash your money in an offset account but are generally not able to control the desire to withdraw it and use it to buy a new plasma or a new pair of shoes, then maybe it is not an ideal option for you

– If the money is in an offset account, you can withdraw it years later and use the money as a deposit on a new house; be it an investment property or a home for you to live in.  Either way, it leaves the house you are moving out of with as much debt as possible; and shifting your cash reserves to your new house.  This is important if the new house is one you will live in.  Because mortgage interest on your home residence is not tax deductable (so it's best to have as much of your cash as possible in your home, and leave the debt for the investments)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.