All Topics / Overseas Deals / Where to spend 100,000 USD?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    kylermrice wrote:
    I haven't read any posts by me?  Lol, u have commented on them before. 

Yessssss (duh!), I haven't made this connection between the first part of your nick and the last. :) I'm good that way.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of pmackpmack
    @pmack

has anyone had anything to with the st louis or memphis markets?

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Those markets are ruff but you can find good deals. 

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

The best way to look at how to spend your 100k is to look at the overall trendline of the various areas.

Dayton Ohio looked cheap to me .. but the overall trend is down.

Detroit Michigan was considered crap by a lot of people but if you buy wisely it has an extraordinary upside. Its not dead yet.

Atlanta Georgia is a mixed bag. Overall trendline is still heading down .. but its got potential.

Los Angeles CA is down and heading further down. Because of irrational government and taxes.

Las Vegas is oversaturated and overpopulated to needs and requirements.

People are speaking with their hip pockets and moving to areas where they can do business still. So you'll find areas like Arizona and some parts of the midwest are taking off. Follow the money … and you'll make money.

Just remember .. until the handout mentality stops in the US you'll have large ghetto communities that no self respecting middle class member of society wants to live around or near. They avoid them like the plague. So cheap in those areas just really means UNWANTED. Look for areas where people are upgrading .. demolishing or vanquishing their ghettos and you'll see room for price movements.

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs
    kylermrice wrote:
    Those markets are ruff but you can find good deals. 

If kyler says something is ‘ruff’ it should not be attempted under any circumstances without highly competent adult supervision.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Xdrew

good post…

every market has its good and bad,

What your seeing right now is the US investor stepping back into the game… Off shore investors had a nice run with little to no competition in some of the better markets you mention. And from my perspective if I look just at my company we were chugging a long at 7 to 10 deals a month.. Now remember we keep them all…

Inventory is low in the better markets.. With Fannie and Freddie selling big packages to Hedge funds. .Who for the first time ever have decided to buy and hold single family residences. There is a package of 600 homes that Colony capital is bidding on in Metro Atlanta right now I expect they will get them…We have been approached to help them with about 10% of them…So thats 600 homes that heretofore would have been let out on the open market… Phoenix is experincing the same thing. The Columbia endowment just closed on 500 homes. And Aussies can’t compete with these companies they bought them for 80 cents on the dollar and a 6% cap… Hard to compete when most Aussie’s want 15% plus…So to get those 15% plus an investor is going to have to go into the less desirable areas, because they cannot compete with bigger US players that have decided to enter the fray.

And it was like a light bulb switched FEB 1st. I had about 22 houses in my inventory and I matched each of them up to a partner investor in about 10 days and I have demand for 20 plus a month right now…I have to spread that between our markets, so we keep pace with rental absorption…And I have to say I have some of the best guys in the industry on the ground as our equity partners… I wish I had thought up this model years ago I would not have gone through all the rental hell that comes with land lording from Portland Oregon….Give some equity and spread the wealth around let your team members on the ground make some up side and overnight your properties are performing far superior than what you would expect… I love having this huge portfolio and never once in a week dealing with a tenant issue.

At the end of the day good bad or whatever if your 6,000 miles away from your asset you need a great team on the ground.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    pmack wrote:
    has anyone had anything to with the st louis or memphis markets?

We buy in Memphis,,, St. Luis I had bad lending experiences its akin to the roughest parts of Detroit if you go for low end stock.

there is one US company in particular that I have seen that works Memphis and they REALLY Puff there Net yields in their advertising..

Like 30 to 40% net yields. So I personally dismiss them out of hand.

Memphis I know very well have done a lot of business there,,, You just have to be very careful of the Aussie Spruiker working in areas like Frazer and Southhaven.. Again I had loans on properties there took them back.. And could never collect more than 4 to 6 months rent in any one year.. constant evictions etc.. So total money loser those are. Get out to the East side of town and pay 60 to 100k and you will get some decent homes.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.