All Topics / Opinionated! / Western Sydney – Blacktown or Granville?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Michael_CaoMichael_Cao
    Participant
    @michael_cao

Hey Guys,

I hear that western sydney is the place for IP due to house/unit shortages and population growth (and much more), and also being close to Parramatta of course!

I was contemplating between Blacktown or the inner suburbs closer to Parramatta like Granville. It sounds like there is more talk and hype on Blacktown, but shouldn't I value suburbs with closer proximity to Parramatta? Surely there would be more demand to live closer to the central economic hub district.

Currently, I am looking at a unit in Granville, and a unit in Blacktown, most units in Granville are fairly old, and Blacktown has many developments happening and newer built real estates.

Granville is about 3.2kms away from Parramatta!!!
    Blacktown is about 15kms away from Parramatta!!!

What are your thoughts?

Profile photo of ScottsdaleScottsdale
    Participant
    @scottsdale

Hi Michael,

I've been tracking both suburbs over the last year or so due the their affordability and proximity to the CBD and it seems as though the two are frequently touted as being good investments. Blacktown does indeed receive more attention but I think this may be due to the size difference and number of properties on the market, it has around 280,000 residents whereas Granville is a much smaller suburb with nearly 23,000 residents.

Both feature in the 'Annual Hot 100' of this months API with Granville receiving a 4 page assessment of its pros and cons (Blacktown was featured in the Dec 2011 issue). Personally I would be looking to take advantage of the 'ripple effect' that should occur in Granville seeing as it's only a 30-40min train ride into the city and its closeness to Parra is definitely a a big positive. These kinds of suburbs usually become gentrified and slowly begin to demand higher prices as time goes by (Redfern is a perfect example of this).

Old units aren't necessarily a bad thing, if they are structurally sound then they might be perfect for a reno that generates a decent equity gain (and possibly positive cash flow… if you're very lucky!).

Have you been to either suburb yet and talked to the REA's that work in there? If not, it would be a great idea to do some personal recon and find out some information first hand.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

Hey Michael,

I grew up around Parramatta so I know the area well.

Apart from that experience, I'm also an active positive cashflow property investor.

I've checked out Granvillle and Blacktown areas, and generally, I've found more CF+ properties around the Blacktown area. So if that's more of your strategy, then around Blacktown would be good.

Although I think it may also have to do with the fact that the Blacktown are is much larger area than Granville (therefore, higher potential supply) as stated above.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

You need to evaluate what things you believe will drive price growth in the two respective areas.  For example, when a new road is built in a town, it makes it easier for the residents to commute in and out of the town, and may make it faster to commute to work in the city.  Thus the desirability factor of the town can increase. You also want to evaluate what the demand is for rentals in a town, versus the number of properties available for rent.  If there are more properties available for rent than there are prospective tenants, then you might find yourself having to discount your rent to attract a tenant.  You want to understand how much out of pocket (or ahead) you will be after the rent money has been eroded by mortgage payments, and paying the bills such as insurance. You also want to evaluate how you can immediately add value to your property, thus making it worth more money, and being able to hike up the rent.  Can you renovate?  Can you add a granny flat to the backyard to enable a second tenancy on the site?

These are the sorts of things you want to evaluate.  Don't get too caught up on whether you should stick like glue to suburbs close to Parramatta.  Stick to facts and numbers.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I think Derek is on the money re his comment about Granville's proximity to the City and the ripple effect. The only problem with Granville in the past has been its crime rate. That's changing now but there is a far way to go. Its also a major station and as pointed out before very close to Parramatta. There is still a lot of not only investors but also PPOR's buying in the area.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.