All Topics / Help Needed! / investment property in brisbane city CBD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of saqibsaqib
    @saqib

Hi

I have a very simple question. I am thinking to buy an apartment studio or 1 bedroom in brisbane city with a hope that prices will go up in nrxt 5 to 10 yrs. I am buying it simply because i can only afford a mortgae of $150k to max $180k so hence buying an investment property.

Is it a good idea? I hoping that my rent will cover the mortgage repayments and in future i will sale it and buy owner occupied wheb i can afford it.

Cheers

Profile photo of zimbyzimby
    @zimby

Have you considered Body Corporate Fee’s in the CBD, some are around 6k a year.
    I’ve heard a good saying on the forum here ” Hope is not an investment strategy”
    We’ve just been looking at properties in the cbd and found there was limited haggle room, properties in the sub 500k seem to be doing well and selling fairly quickly for pretty much on sale price.
    Another good piece of advice i’ve picked up from here is that you make your money when you buy.
    Make sure you get a good Mortgage Broker, our broker saved us around 3-4k in LMI, His name is Richard Taylor(qld007 on the forum here)
    We moved a little bit Further out(Taringa) and Picked up a 3 bed 2 bath(122m2) for 370k with body corp $2.5k a year an currently rented at $470( due for an increase as current tenant has been in there for 6 years)
    Hope this helps :)

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

you should explore other options including consulting with a great broker i would suggest alistair perry http://www.perryfinance.com.au

I would be happy to have a chat with you about strategies

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

saqib

Dont settle for what isnt right in the first place.

Studios and 1br have a high turnover rate of tenancies (unless you get incredibly lucky with your tenants). Thats going to affect your bottom line as that means additional property fees (letting and reletting) that cost you and get deducted from your rents.

Good property investing remains the idea of purchasing something which someone else will find desirable in two or three years time. Otherwise you are just riding the property against inflation. And for that you will be waiting a while …..

You can only afford 150k-180? Good. Then the rules STILL apply .. regardless of how small the startup capital is.

I have a five year snapshot on a deal i made in 2006. I lined up a series of 6 possible purchases and made what I thought would be the right long term choice. To sum it up quickly .. it was. The other purchases would all have gone up between 60k-100k in the five year period. As to my purchase .. its gone up 280k in that same five year period. And i've borrowed against that already.
    Amount borrowed for purchase???? 208k  Estimated resale now @500k

Was it a once off? Since i have done it MANY times since .. the answer is no. But here is the same advice I use again and again. Buy value. Buy position. Buy as much property as you possibly can for your dollar. And make sure you keep what the property will cost you on a weekly basis in perspective.

Dont let an inital low borrowing figure lead to you making a bad purchase simply because thats ALL YOU CAN AFFORD. Thats rubbish. Bad purchases happen because good people make uninformed and uneducated decisions. If you need to learn what the right decisions are .. investigate that. There are lots of good books (insert Steve's book promo here) that you can grab to find out whats right to do. Or just follow the links in the forum to get an ounce of good advice.

Also if you are feeling that your initial borrow capacity stifles your chances of buying what u want … grab a friend and go in with him. Increase your buying power by either increasing your work cashflow or finding creative ways to put a solution together. Dont let a low startup and borrowing scenario stifle your investing creative genius. Think smart.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Saqib

Hate top say i know the sort of property you are looking at in Brisbane CBD and think you will struggle to finance such a deal without a decent deposit.

I would be looking outside the CBD if you are looking for something with a bit of growth prospects.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of saqibsaqib
    @saqib

Thanks guys for your valuable input…so what other areas you suggest me which are in my budget with future growth?

Cheers

Participant
    @qlds007

May i ask how you know that $150-$180K is your limit ?

You certainly wont get anything much in Brisbane for that much.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of saqibsaqib
    @saqib

Thats what my affordability is at the moment cant afford the repayments for more than that. Yeah thats why i was thinking tobget atleast an apartment in the city as market is low at the moment and i dont wanna miss an opportunity.
    Thanks for your feedback

Cheers

Participant
    @qlds007

I think if i was only able to afford the monthly committment on a $150K property i would either look at bedding down and doing some serious saving (as i mentioned you wont be able to borrow a very high lvr against a inner city cbd apartment so will need a decent deposit) or altrnatively look at buying a regional property and rent it out for investment.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.