All Topics / Value Adding / Who can determine if renovation is possible

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of nathan89nathan89
    @nathan89

Hi all,

I've been looking at a house in Brisbane that I think has good renovation potential. I have a few ideas for what I think would be good for the house but since this will be my first renovation I am unsure of some aspects. Ie; if I can remove walls or if they are load bearing, if I can add another toilet and if I can turn a laundry into a bathroom. Just wondering if someone out there could tell me who would be the best person to speak to regarding this. I was thinking maybe an architect? Also would they come and look at the property even though I am not the owner yet?

Thanks for your help

Nathan

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

you could probably talk to someone from Archicentre, they have a range of architect who can prepare a roughy for a small cost

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Any residential builder or half decent carpenter could answer those questions. Getting one there without the likely prospect of compensation for their time would be the tricky part. You might have to consider providing incentive.

Profile photo of emz03emz03
    @emz03

moxi10 is right, i would go to a builder over an architect, since they would be the one actually doing the work. They will have a good idea of what is possible and costs associated. Definitley will need to provide an incentive for them to look at it – I'd pull out the yellow pages and call around, see what you can come up with.

Having said that I'd be very reluctant in recommending any structural renovations if this is your first time. I'd stick to cosmetics until you get the hang of it.

Profile photo of nathan89nathan89
    @nathan89

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a builder who was happy to come through for $100. Unfortunately what I would have liked to have done wasn't feasible. Think I may need to start off with something a bit simpler to get some experience under my belt. So good having forums like this available though!

Cheers,

Nathan

Profile photo of Kailyn LawKailyn Law
    @kailyn-law

It sounds like this project is a little big for a first timer.  Start with something simple to get your feet wet.  You may make a little less profit but it will be very good experience.

Profile photo of StreakerStreaker
    Participant
    @streaker

I agree with Kailyn. If you're new to it all, it'll be a much less stressful venture if you start with something that only involves cosmetic changes – especially if you intend to do some of the work yourself to cut your costs. You'll learn a heck of a lot that will put you in good stead for when you do get hold of something that needs structural work.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

just an idea but in the future if you’re looking at buying a house and getting a structural report done, go there with the inspector and walk around with them, ask if things could be possible.

well done on your adventure. $100 was a small outlay, but hopefully you learned from the builder and have more knowledge for next time.

Good luck!
    Emma

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.