All Topics / Value Adding / Entire Subdivision Flowchart & Costings – Melbourne – Free Downloads!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Please note:

This is no longer available.

Thank you

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Also I forgot to add yes it is forwarded from Logan City Council in QLD to Maroondah Council in VIC, however I was told that the principals are somewhat similar.

Cheers,
    Ashley Stacey

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Stacey,

That’s an excellent stencil to refer to when considering sub-division especially those of us who don’t have a lot of experience in developing and would like to start or at least look at purchasing something now for future development.

A couple of questions Stacey if you don’t mind.

Once you’ve found a suitable site, how do you calculate whether the development would be worthwhile or not? It just appears there is a heck of a lot of things to consider it’s confusing. How do you know the end product will give you the desired result ie. profit?

I may have located a suitable site on a large block but there is a sewer running east to west along the block…is this a normal occurrence? Or should you be looking for a site without a sewer pipe running down the guts?

Jack

Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Jack,

First name’s Ashley by the way (common mistake) :)

For a typical project a customer would send their property details and desired goal for the development.

Next the zoning of the site is searched here: http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/jsp/map/PlanningMapsIntro.jsp This is a free service for anyone to use and is definitely worth looking at (for Victorian residents). You can click on the property information tab to see a summary of the zoning requirements. If you do a google search of Clause 54 and 55 you should be able to find the complete documents (for those with a bit of spare time). A quick look at nearby subdivisions will give you a good idea of the potential.

In terms of looking at potential profit, you’re best off contacting a local real estate agent. Surveyors are rarely told how much the property was bought or sold for.

Anyone can take some quick measurements off Nearmap / Google Earth to get a rough idea of the square meterage available. For example, in my projects I’ll just about always call up council, or a town planner (for example Breece on here is fantastic) and get additional opinions. If it’s looking like a tight fit for a new dwelling then we will consult my Building Designer to come up with a solution. As with most surveying/development companies the initial research and consultations are at no cost (not to advertise here!).

In all developments and property alike it is vital to surround yourself with a wide range of experts. I have other professionals consult me about the surveying aspect and I’m always happy to call around and confirm things I may not be 100% on. There are many variables in developments so it would be unwise to have an individual take control.

Anyway in regards to your easement query, it depends on the type, location and your budget. There are ways to tackle easements if it is getting in the way, but ideally yes you would like it at the back of the block. I would suggest giving your local council and water authority a call and see what actually is in the easement.

I hope this sheds some light on your query :)

Cheers,
    Ashley

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Ashley,

That’s a big help mate.

Seems so complicated starting out. My idea was looking to buy something with sub-division potential with an older style property on it just to pay the way until sometime in the future (10 years) and I return, knock down and develop the property.

I’ll keep reading there’s some great information in here.

Thanks again for tackling my questions it’s much appreciated.

Jack

Profile photo of emz03emz03
    @emz03

fanastic tools ashley, very much appreciated :)

Participant
    @stacey-surveying

No worries at all, I’m always happy to help out with queries regarding development etc. There’s just about zero information on the internet about these processes (I suspect because most surveyors are terrible with technology!) :P

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7
    Stacey Surveying wrote:
    Hi Jack,

Forgot to add I’ve got a subdivision flowchart also uploaded for free download. It’s useful for typical projects in VIC.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ad2pbd2cerbk6l7

Cheers,
    Ashley

Thanks Ashley!

Great tools mate.

Jack

Profile photo of dragon_v723dragon_v723
    Participant
    @dragon_v723

Thx Ashley for the uploads

Geez just shocked by the subdivison cost estimated almost 70000!!!! is that common for like a typical 2 lot subdivion on a 700sqm site? as I was thinking of subdividing and selling the new lot but dont think I can come up with 70000 cash or equity….

Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Dragon,

These costs are definitely on the higher end of the scale, and I know that there are multiple items here which could have the costs reduced from researching / using good contractors (The survey costs should be 60-70% of what I’ve been quoted!). There are multiple items which wouldn’t really apply in the subdivision itself, for example:

– Driveway construction isn’t really relevant in subdividing itself, more of a building item.
    – Drainage typically undertaken in building, along with connecting utilities to the building footprint.
    – Field Survey in Stage 1 would be 1.5-1.8k, not 3k.
    – Field Survey in Stage 3 would be around $2k, not 5k.

As a general consensus from clients a 2 lot subdivision if you do your research properly would be about half that. I’ve seen a few people saying on here that they’ve done it for ~$30k to get to the ready-to-build stage. Obviously with an ideal site for subdivision it would bring costs down as opposed to say a site up in the sticks. I’d use this as more of a gauge to see the stages broken up from the flowchart I posted.

Cheers,
    Ashley

Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Profile photo of SensibleSensible
    Participant
    @sensible

Hey Ashley,

I’m bummed that I didn’t know about your free flowchart back in 2011, but I was looking at more reno projects at that time. Now, I’m in the process of subdivision and building a unit at the back of my property.

Just wondering whether you would have that flowchart still available? And I’m also looking for a building surveyor that can work with me now that I’ve got town planning approval and working drawings done.

Thank you,
    Kenneth

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.