All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying new unit or old unit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of vongitovongito
    Participant
    @vongito

Hi all,

I am looking to invest in a 2 bedroom unit in Liverpool NSW.
    At the moment I don't know whether it would be better to buy an off the plan, a pretty new unit or an old one.
    How do you usually decide which one you would go for?

The median price is around $250K and I may be interested in buying either an off the plan which is above $400K or a unit at around $330K

Thanks for your help

Alex

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Alex

Guess no one can give you a right or wrong answer but i think it all down to value for money.

In buying a second hand unit you have something to gauge the price against and that is comparative sales in the area.

When buying off the plan you are usually buying a property at a fixed price in the future.
    One issue we are seeing in a lot of OTP properties is the valuations are not coming in at purchase price.

You are relying on no changes to the market between Contract date and a future Settlement date.

On an existing property your Mortgage Broker should be able to order a valuation upfront for you once the Contract has been signed
    and at least you can see what the valuer thinks of the property prior to exchange of contracts.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

yeah. if you buy a totally new and off the plan unit, then there's no historical data about the place to help with your investment. Although if it's off the plan and nearby other similar units in the neighbourhood, then that might help give you a better understanding of the potential returns and investability

Profile photo of vongitovongito
    Participant
    @vongito

Thanks all for your answers.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Why would you want to pay $70,000 more for a new unit? In 5 years time they are both older units. So you are willing to buy something that is almost double the median of the area. Very risky. 

Be VERY careful when buying off the plan.
    For $330K you can get a house in Liverpool. Do some more research.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.