All Topics / Help Needed! / councils rates upon purchase. are they tax deductable or part of the base cost for CGT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of here to learnhere to learn
    @here-to-learn

i have been told conflicting things re claimimg the council and water rates that were paid in advance on settlement of the purchase of an investment property. 1 they are part of the base cost so therefore cannot be claimed until the property is sold. 2. they are claimable in the first year as they are an expenditure against the investment property. who told me 2 diffrent accountants.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I would gravitate towards the one who says its a holding cost. At the end of the day it might make a couple of hundred $ difference but I would prefer to be claiming rather than amortising the cost.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

I’d be in agreement with the second option as well…

For the first option:(quoting from ATO website) The cost base and reduced cost base of a property includes the amount you paid for it together with certain incidental costs associated with acquiring, holding and disposing of it (for example, legal fees, stamp duty and real estate agent’s commissions). Certain amounts that you have deducted or which you can deduct are excluded from the property’s cost base or reduced cost base.

So u see that legal fees, stamp duty, commissions etc can be added to the cost base.

As for council rates, see: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00270214.htm&page=9&H9

Here you will clearly see that council rates are deductible immediately in the tax year they were incurred.

I might suggest accountant #1 may not be the best partner for a property investor…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.