All Topics / Help Needed! / Native Tree

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of synericsyneric
    Participant
    @syneric

Hi All,

Can someone please give me some advise on this?

I have an old house sitting in a large block of land in Sydney about 1100 sqm. It had some termite damage on the house but we already fixed it up. The trouble is there is a big old native tree right in the middle it. At the time I was thinking of doing the right thing, so I submitted a tree removal form into the local council and said it’s within 3 meters of my existing house a couple years ago. It caused a lot of drainage problem, lots of leafs stuck into the gutter, possible termite damage and possibly catch fire on a hot day. The council came took one look at it and said nope not good enough reason. They rejected the cutting of the tree. Now, I’m on the record and they know I want to get rid of the tree. Hence, no stormy day with the tree stuck by lightning for me…

I have heard from a friend, perhaps if we submit a development application I could possibly negotiate to trade this tree for a few smaller native trees at the back of the house. Is this possible? Other than subdividing with the tree right in the middle, are they any better way to get rid of the tree?

Thank you!

Syneric

Profile photo of BonhamBonham
    Participant
    @bonham

I happen to live in the Bushland Shire of Sydney and have had many years dealing with this council over many trees both within my property and on the adjoining council/national parks managed land.

Had 2 x 100+ foot high native trees within 3 metres of house slab and had them cut down without acquiring permission as it was legal to do so. 

Had another 100+ foot high native tree within 6 metres of house slab removed after much debacle with council tree preservation officer. 

Similar scenario, had termite infestation due to flooding stormwater from neighbouring property.  To rectify the situation, had to re-landscape and install new driveway with drainage pits etc.  The problem tree was interfering in every aspect of the rectification process and designated area.

After applying to council.  They totally rejected the removal of tree.  Had to employ a fully qualified Arborist to examine the tree and write a full report on it.  They confirmed that the tree had borer in it and that it was an immediate threat to our property.  The report cost several hundred dollars about 10 years ago.

An Arborist Report is your only hope, if the tree poses any dangers to life and/or house.

Had similar issues with trees overhanging our house from neighbouring council property and they did not hesitate to remove them completely and they were all protected natives.

Good luck.  Council Tree Preservation Officers obviously don't live with such dangerous specimens standing over their own houses, otherwise they would be far more compassionate and understanding of the fear and dangers these monster native trees pose.

Profile photo of synericsyneric
    Participant
    @syneric

Thanks for your excellent advise!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.