All Topics / Commercial Property / Self Serviced Apartments/Hotel/Student leases

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Devious05Devious05
    @devious05

I wonder if someone can assist me with following.

I've been researching small units to buy as a PPOR  and have come across a number of investment apartments that seem to almost pay for themselves completely with the rental earned.

Example: http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/VIC/Melbourne/?adid=2009264953
    Some say tenant pays all outgoings as well. Others mention 15-20 year leases to Quest/other hotels etc so seems to be very secure ie no worrying about getting new tenats in. Others are in student buildings right next to Monash etc so I presume they would be very secure tenant wise as well.

Can anyone tell me the downside to each of these investments? I realise there has to be something otherwise why would anyone be selling it?!. But they seem too good to be true thus the skepticism.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Finance and re-sell cost ( capital growth); in Summary

– you need a deposit of 20%+ ( so no 90-95% LVR loans etc…); this drops down quite a bit based on size
    – Good income and strong employment
    – Rental will be discounted at 70% as a min
    – Not all banks will do this sort of security
    – Size- should be larger then 15 sq meters
    – Configuration of the unit will play a part
    – Valuation; need to have simliar unit sold in the last 3-6 month

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Agree with above. Watch for management charges also.

In 2008 I was looking for a an apartment in inner Sydney. I looked at this type of property and yes they "seem" impressive.
    In the end we bought a very small 1 bedroom unit in Potts Point. 2008 was a good time to buy and we got it under market value.
    In 3 years it has gone up 50% in price. The self serviced apartments have hardly gone up in price in the last 3 years.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Yeah I reckon that the management charges for self serviced apartments and hotels will be what can eat away at your earnings. Make sure to consider their impact on your calculations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.