All Topics / Help Needed! / Need help – peeling paint in bathroom. Should I repaint or tile?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi everyone,

I painted my property only a few months ago and as you can see in the pictures the paint is peeling. You will also see a crack in the wall, which is fine but I think this contributes to it. Also the fact is that in winter the bathroom fogs up even with our exhaust fan on, so I will also consider relocating the exhaust fan to right above the shower (its current behind the light in the photo)

We are considering tiling from the current tiles to the roof, it would cost to much to do all the tiles again and this is just an IP.

We are moving away from here and dont want to have to worry about maintaining this every year so looking for a long lasting solution.

Should we paint (use a professional) or tile to the roof?

Or are there any ideas that people may have in mind?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/photo15mp.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/photo16b.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/photo14vg.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/photo13l.jpg/

Thank you very much

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

What is causing the paint to peel? Poor preparation? Cheapest paint?

Paint is generally a reasonable finish in bathrooms provided you use a fungicide additive.

Profile photo of SezSez
    @sez

Hi Joe,

First question – did you sand back, properly seal and prepare the wall before using a mould / moisture resistant bathroom paint?

If no to any of these questions then do a repaint – make sure everything is prepared properly, you use a seal and proper paint on the walls and ceiling. If you repaint the walls you will likely have to do the ceiling too as this will start to peel and crack as well if the walls have already started.

Proper ventilation is key too – how old is the exhaust fan that is in there? Perhaps a new one is required? If you are getting a new one put in make sure it is connected to the light switch so when renting the property out tenants can't have a shower with out the exhaust fan on unless they want to shower in the dark :).

Re-tiling shouldn't be required – perhaps get a handyman in to do the painting job as they often get jobs like this one!

Good luck!!

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Thanks for comments guys and very good idea about the exhaust fan. I just cleaned walls sugar soap and painted over existing paint and filled in cracks with sealer. Well getting a painter over on Friday re quote we’ll see what he says.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Use a semi gloss as well or gloss paint. In fact in a rental these are best throughout, as marks wash off easier. You may never wish to live in a glossed up house yourself but doesnt matter for renters. Saves you time and money in the long run.

A good extractor fan over the shower will get rid of 80% of your steam and moisture problems and as suggested, connected to the light switch.

Sand back, reseal and good paint ( gloss or semi ) – new extractor fan and you should be right.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors… with a Sense of Humour.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Ventilation is a major issue in a lot of bathrooms.

I just did up a bathroom that really was shot to pieces. The landloard was a genius (previous landlord). He painted the bathroom EVERY new tenancy. GENIUS. Thing is .. being a bathroom .. there was mould that sat under the paintwork. Result? Frequent and consistant mould. Peeling paintwork from mould explosions. Brittle paint from moisture produced by the mould. And tenants who had breathing issues as a result.

700 bucks .. scraping back ALL the seven layers of paint on the roof, a new load of paint on the ceiling AND the walls .. anti moulding primer underneath the second coat .. and what do you know? A bulletproof finish.

The next stage is to implement proper ventilation out the existing window so the room breathes properly. Thats another expense for another day.

If you do a bathroom .. make sure its done properly. That way you only need to do it the once. And yes, mould can be a major culprit in paint deterioration. So solve it by ventilation or giving the room a proper finish. Either way will negate the issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.