All Topics / Value Adding / Major reconfiguration

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

I’m looking at a property in Crows Nest where the current layout is awful.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-duplex+semi+detached-nsw-crows+nest-108146176

There are also other issues like the access to the “attic”/second story.

The current price is sound $900k, with a 3rd bedroom/decent bathroom it would be $1.2 million.

I’ve only ever done cosmetic renos, never structural. How painful would it be to move/insert a bathroom (where none currently exist) and kitchen?

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

The answer to this (how painful), is about $ 150k and 2 months, including plans!

Profile photo of spoonicusspoonicus
    Participant
    @spoonicus

You are looking to renovate the two most expensive rooms, but 150K does seem fairly steep. How many quotes did you get?

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

150k is massive in price. How many investments do you actually have to idea of outlay like that ?

Biggest problem for bathroom removal and move, is where the plumbing and sewerage is on the house.

If its on the same side, its fine. I did a full bathroom, installing a toilet (never had a toilet, it was 2 rooms away on its own) and its actually cheaper then you think, only depending on the circumstances. The most expensive part is resetting the gully's and massive V connection to existing sewerage, thats if your fortunate enough its on the same side of the house. This should only be around tops $3000 to do it, thats them digging it up, connecting the gully up again, piping and filling it back.

And another thing, is it slab? or floating floor or partial? Hopefully theres only dirt under there and sleepers with just brick footings, it makes it a whole lot cheaper and easier.

If its on the side of the room you want the toilet, look for old plumbing system, sometimes the old water guttering in the slab outside usually leads back to the gullys, and thats if its not blocked either (Its an easy test with a karcher gerni). If you find this, you may need to install a new gully and then drop the connection in, again your looking around $4000 for it.

The kitchen on the other hand you may need to get them to draw it up, so everything comes up plumb, especially if this is your first time and you could of got away with it organizing trades yourself. Just make sure its a licenced plumber ;)

By looking at the images, dont move the kitchen? Just remove them hidious tiles/vinyl..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.