All Topics / Help Needed! / Making an offer

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of SimkySimky
    @simky

Hi Everyone,

I asked a while back about your thoughts on a property that I was considering buying that was next to my mums place.

A 4 bedroom BV at $376,000 , thoughts were to hold on to the property for future development a long way down the track.

I have taken your advice and just looked at the property as a stand alone and still think it might be a good deal.

The Median Prices in the area are around $420,000. This property needs a fair bit of work especially the bathroom, it would need to be completley replaced, there is no heating (none) and there is lino on the floors not to mention huge trees all around it.

The Vendor has not bought anywhere yet and I though of making an offer of around $345,000 with a 120 day settlement and option for rent back to make it more attractive.

I always hesitate when it comes to price and making an offer.

Is there any advice you can give me as to make sure I am not making mistakes ??

Thanks

Simone

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Simone

I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste a response I just made in another thread.

Hi again

You just need to work out the price that you're willing to pay.

To come to that price, you need to do a heap of research on the area, property, comparable sales, vendors reason for selling, etc.

Once you've determined the price – base your negotiations around it.

Personally, I wouldn't start off with a ridiculously low offer because you risk losing credibility.

Instead, start with an offer that allows for a couple of increases which will eventually see you hit your limit.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SimkySimky
    @simky

great advice Jamie thank you

@simky

Just got a call from the agent and they have dropped the price again down from $390.000 to $367,000 now $359,500. 

The Vendor has not purchased yet and it seems like he wants to sell. 

We would need to renovate the property as mentioned in my previous post, would you get an inspection done ? The gutters would need replacing and the roof restored (a guess) , there are also lots of trees around the property that I would want to remove. 

I really would nto to pay more than $350,000 for it, I spoke to another agent in the area and she said that you would not be able to get another 4 bedroom home in the area for under $400,000 although there is another newer property up the road at around $370,000  

Its a 70's brick veneer and in your opinion if the median price for the area is between 400-420 then what else shoudl I be looking for, the area is relatively close to schools , shops transport , it is however on a main road with lovely views.

I have been told to check out the area and property prices, I have done that ,so what am I missing, what am I not thinking about ? 

It would still be a buy and hold for quite some time , renovations to the point of making it livable and comfortable but not through the roof until the time comes to either fully renovate and sell or knock down and devewlop with next door, The rent would only be around $350 pw.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Simone

Profile photo of garrymacgarrymac
    @garrymac

Hi Simone

I would be careful buying on a main road because you limit your market when re-selling – many folks will not buy on a main road. Also be careful of median prices as they only give an indication (a starting point). Medians tend to provide more information about what’s been selling rather than what a particular area’s property is worth.

Ask the Sales Agent to provide you with a report identifying recent sales in the area OR you could order an online report that will give you suburb, street and specific property data. Once you get your report(s) check out comparable properties nearby in terms of where they are and what they sold for. It’s always wise to go see those properties to gain an understanding as to how they compare to the one you’re looking at. The fact that the property you’re looking at is on a main road means it is not worth as much as comparable properties that are not (on a main road). Good luck!

Cheers
    Garry

Profile photo of matthew.fmatthew.f
    @matthew.f

Hi Simone,
                    It sounds like you have been contemplating this purchase for a while now and have not made an offer or any progress.
    Consider the following:
    – Are there many properties for sale that you can somewhat compare or under offer in this price range.
    – Have they been sitting for sale for a long time (I can check this for you)
    – What is your budget (high and low) – eg. $280-370k
    – Is your absolute priority this one, as it needs work. Will you really want to purchase this property knowing the immediate or short term work required. If so, thats great

The rest it sounds as if you have done your due-deligence. Remember you can only do due-diligence on the past. Projections, forecast etc are really just educated opinions. If this is long term for you 3+ years, which it should be, the marketplace looks after itself. What matters is that you can comfortably service this property if unforeseen circumstances arise.
    eg. rental return (is their a strong rental market).

Remember, you have to be in it to win it. As a serious buyer you must be ready to pounce at a moments notice.
    – Have your finances sorted (pre-approved as a minimum)
    – Know your terms and conditions (finance, b & P, settlement time frame)
    – Know how to negotiatie (or know someone who does)
    – Remember it is not only the price that is negotiable, terms and conditions are as well

<moderator: delete advertising> At the end of the day, if this property does not meet your criteria in terms of needs, price, figures etc. do not ponder. Move onto the next one as this really is a buyers market and an exceptional opportunity to build wealth.

<moderator: delete advertising>

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Simky wrote:

would you get an inspection done ? 

Absolutely! This is money well spent. If possible – try to be present during the inspection so you can have a quick chat with the inspector. If you can't be present, give them a buzz afterwards to quickly discuss the report.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@simky

Thanks Matthew,

I think at this stage hubby has gone cold on this property, it was mainly due to the fact it was next door to my mothers property and that we would hope to develop in the future (long term).

I think we may be better finding cheaper options at this stage and give it a miss for some more short term gains ??

We are such newbies at this and have alot to learn.

I am intrugued by what you do though sounds very interesting

I keep hearing about all this financial woe that we are all going to face in the near future and feels like its getting all to hard.

Regards

Simone

@matthew.f

Hi Simone, Whether you think you are right or wrong… your right. Although the prospect of purchasing next door to your mothers sounds great, investing requires no emotion. Have you read Steve McKnights books? Great concept. Talk about bullet proofing or recession proofing your portfolio. Great read.

<moderator: delete advertising>

Regards, Matthew Frost

@simky

LOL, Its too late at night for me to fully understand what you just said.

Although I would not like to admit it I think I was emotionally involved on the idea of the development not so much the actual financial situation "right now".

I have not read Steves Book yet although I have had it for quite some time, I am planning on making it a priority .

I met Steve when I was having my first baby , his wife and I were in Baby classes together.

Yes we plan on doing just that cashing out on our other IP , paying off our mortgage and setting ourselves up for some more options in the near future. ..

I will check out your site , thanks

Simone

@garrymac

Matthew, I have to ask…if you are paid by the selling agent, how are you working in the best interests of the buyer?

Garry

@matthew.f

Hi Garry,
    Thank you for your question… As the conjuncting agent their is no conflict of interest. I provide all the services that a buyers agent does, without the fee.

Regards,

Matthew Frost

@garrymac
    matthew.f wrote:
    Hi Garry,
    Thank you for your question… As the conjuncting agent their is no conflict of interest. I provide all the services that a buyers agent does, without the fee.

Regards,

Matthew Frost

Mmmm, interesting answer Matthew. You’re still being paid by the Sales Agent who is paid by the seller. There seems to be a conflict there. Anyway, good luck to you!

Cheers
    Garry

@matthew.f

Hi Garry,
    Thank you for your kind words. As stated the arrangement would not be under a buyer’s agent authority. This gives the opportunity for people who are not in the financial position to employ the services of a premium buyers agent, to seek assistance.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.