All Topics / Help Needed! / Best Investing mentoring program

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of EdmundStEdmundSt
    Participant
    @edmundst

Hello,

I am looking to build on my small portfolio whilst minimizing the risk of purchasing a lemon. My current approach has been one of pure luck – similar to 'throwing blindly at a dart board' and hoping for a good result. Fortunately, I managed to get a good result although made some basic mistakes a long the way. I am interested in signing up to a mentorship program although with so many options available these days, I was wondering if I could get peoples advice or experience on this subject..?

What are people thoughts on which is the best investment property mentorship program?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Edmund

I don't know much about mentors or mentoring programs but if I was going to opt for one, I'd look into what Nathan Birch has on offer. He posts on this forum and walks the talk.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of KlahKlah
    @klah

It really depends on what type of strategy you are going to use, eg, development, cash flow, renovating, flipping etc. Until you have a clear goal and objective then your just going to go around in circles. What type of strategy where you thinking of?

Profile photo of EdmundStEdmundSt
    Participant
    @edmundst

Thanks Jamie and Kaylah.

My Strategy is definitely cash flow.

Profile photo of garrymacgarrymac
    @garrymac

Hi Edmund

There is little doubt that a good Mentor is invaluable. However I’m sure the folks on this forum will be happy to help.

Given that your strategy focuses on strong cash flow, be careful to do the numbers – or if you’re inexperienced in terms of the calculations, have your accountant do them for you. There are many claims of ‘positive cash flow’ property in the marketplace when in fact they are not. Also there are many definitions of positive cash flow so make sure you have a good understanding of what you’re getting into.

One suggestion you might look into…purchase a house Sydney’s ‘Western Growth Corridor’ and construct a garden cottage (granny flat). As long as you pick your suburb carefully (and the property meets the necessary requirements of course), capital growth potential is good, tenant demand is high and cash flow is strong. As to whether or not it’s ‘positive cash flow’, well that depends on a number of variables including who/what type of structure owns the property, your marginal tax rate (if purchased in your own name), age of the property, rental for the house and garden cottage, etc.

Cheers
    Garry

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Hi Edmund,

I saw my name was in this thread so I thought I would give you 3 key things if you follow wisely you will be armoured to build your portfolio.

1) Buy below market value, this way you will build a buffer of equity into the deal, minimise risk, and help you move onto the next deal easily.
    2) Ensure stung cash-flow so your properties don’t erode your lifestyle choices, because at the end of the day its a business and needs to be treated as such. Successful businesses don’t lose money, why should property.
    3) Don’t bring emotion into the deal, buy on numbers and your comfort zone.

As stated above ensure you look at cash-flow before tax, including all expenses such as rates, strata, management, insurance etc.. and don’t incorporate tax deductions and even include your deposit in your mortgage calculation costs.

Here is this weeks BRW segment I did on it – http://tv.brw.com.au/video/167974

All the best,
    Nath.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Nathan makes an important point above; don't incorporate tax deductions in your calcs.  You'd come unstuck if there was a tax law change.  Only recently there was a tax law change that meant that one of the types of trust structures can no longer distribute profits to children tax-free.  That would make a big difference to the end result.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Further to that Jac, if ones goal is to create income not to work then you are defeating the purpose as you won’t pay tax if your not working and you would become negative and property wouldn’t be able to support your lifestyle. Tax is ok, but as a bonus not as a driver.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Indeed Nathan, indeed!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of CarolynCarolyn
    Participant
    @carolyni

Hi Edmund

We too were looking about 18 months ago about how we broaden our understanding of property investment after only having purchased a negatively geared property.

We signed up to the RESULTS program starting July 2010. Since then we have purchased multiple positive cashflow properties in NZ, Australia and the US. But more importantly we have walked away from many deals because from the program we know what will be a lemon. We know how to complete due diligence – which comes back to the numbers but involves much more than this.  We can contact our coach if needed to walk through our analysis and thinking.

The RESULTS program is one year’s duration and we’ve also signed up to the graduate program for this year based on what we have got out of it.  The program involves access to a coach as well as self-paced learning supported by webinars and quarterly get togethers. The coaches are active property investors with a range of skills between them. You get a designated coach with access also to an expert in property development if this is the strategy that you are using.

A few things that we thought we'd mention specifically from our experience:

– The goals and the mindset that you have play a large part to your success and we have found that our confidence and focus continue to increase with the program

You get the skills to do to the work yourself. The coaches will not do the work for you however will support, question, guide and challenge you so that you make the calls that work based on your goals.

The program focuses on education rather than the coaches securing commissions or kick backs for referrals or things that they on-sell to you. This gives us a real level of confidence about the integrity of the program.

– The Get Togethers are great – both from a content perspective but as importantly in getting connected with like-minded people. The group inspires us enormously (you get to hear about the deals that some of them are doing) and helps to push your thinking or action further along.

– The program is big on accountability – we have formed an accountability group with a few participants from the program so that we can provide each other support as well as track our progress against our goals and actions. This has helped to further boost the success we have had.

Their website is http://www.resultsmentoring.com – there are several testimonials on the site which will give you different impressions beyond ours. From our experience, we feel that we have got a return on the investment that we made through the program many times over.

Good luck in your investigations and property investing.

Profile photo of r.crawford51@gmail.com[email protected]
    @r.crawford51-gmail.com

HI Carolyni
    Wow thats so exciting to hear!!! Good on you!
    me and my partner are going to the RESULTS full day workshop in sydney in Nov. cannot wait. We are renting at the moment, have a deposit saved for PPOR but prefer to begin investing while we’re young and no commitments except for full time work.

If i may – can i ask how long it took to become so established? We’re aiming for the cash flow from property to replace our incomes and desire $100, 000 per yr before we quit work.
    We want to know if the early bird is ideal for RESULTS – as you get access to the education but mentoring doesn’t start until June 2012.
    We live in COffs harbour – is it still easy enough to do the program if your not in a capital city??

hope to hear from you soon!
    Are you sure your not interested in mentoring yourself ;)
    rach

Profile photo of CarolynCarolyn
    Participant
    @carolyni

Hi Rach
    The Nov session with the RESULTS team is a great idea – I'm sure that you'll get tons of info from it to further cement your thinking. You'll also be able to get a feel of the coaches themselves and make a call from this as to whether they are a team who you can have confidence in to mentor you. Good on you for thinking of starting investing young and before you get in debt to your PPOR.

We did sign up to Early Bird last year – but we didn't pull our finger out anywhere near early enough to make the most of this. We wish that we had this time again as it would have allowed us to have fast tracked our involvement in the program proper. It meant that when we could access our coach from July, we were still reading – not ideal! The guys focus a lot on goal setting at the start and breaking down your longer term goal into your 7,30,60,90 days as well as the strategy that will get you moving toward these. Another learning from our end – we didn't apply these disciplines systematically for quite some time – and have noticed how our investing has really started to take off with the focus that we now have really through goal setting and an accountability team that we are part of.  We're very much on the property investing journey still rather than being established already – and we are still making some mistakes  and learning from these.  We're having lots of fun doing it all – which is great!

With living in Coff's it will mean travelling to Syd or Mel for the Get Togethers (4 in total a year alternated between cities). It means that there is additional cost but the benefit of being able to catch up with the coaches for the session and the broader RESULTS community outweighs this in our view. For access to your coach, you can do this all by phone (which is what we have done). People involved in the program are scattered everywhere across Aus (and a few fom NZ)  so I wouldn't let the regional area put you off.

Have a great time in the November session
    Carolyn

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I think getting a mentor is a top idea! For me, I get my mentors by reading books and articles from top investors who have proven results.

Make sure your mentor has PROVEN RESULTS.

All the best,
    Mattsta

@r.crawford51-gmail.com

Great advice Mat – books are great and im voracious for info! but its so hard condensing it all and getting one solid idea…
    I spose its good combining them all to have an edge -but just to start – i'd love some guidance

Wow carolyn thanks so much for your reply!!!
    this may sound awful – but my family are not very supportive on this diea. While they want to get out of the rat race they are very against the idea of paying someone to help. personally i think i'd prefer to pay $6K and get help rather than trek through blind. My partner is slightly dubious on it -but yes we can see when we get there in NOV

Thats awesome about goal setting -we're very committed to that and try to write down our goals every day – but its so hard sometimes! because theres so many options i get swayed on goals – but having help would be ideal

I dont mind travelling if its only 4 times a year…i have family in both cities.
    Would you say your much closer to your goal after the program? or only slightly?
    I am 22 and we want to retire through property by 25….A positive cashflow of $100K at least. DO you think this is too ambitious?

We both work full time but my partner has agreed that once we get property rolling and do our first deal…i'll immediately cut back work…to focus more on investing while he continues to work and pay rent 

Were you working full time while you did those deals and got mentoring? if os how did u balance all yor commitments such as work, family, exercise etc.
    IM sorry to ask so many q's but i've love to learn from people who have gone before me. I think its awesome what you guys have done!
    rach

Profile photo of matthew.fmatthew.f
    @matthew.f
    Kaylah wrote:
    It really depends on what type of strategy you are going to use, eg, development, cash flow, renovating, flipping etc. Until you have a clear goal and objective then your just going to go around in circles. What type of strategy where you thinking of?

Absolutely spot on here. Don’t jump the gun and steam role forward without knowing the destination.

If you are keen to get the ball rolling fast. Don’t delay. Read a few books on different strategies… Start with Steve Mcknights. Get an understanding of what interests you and relates to your succession plan.

Plenty of Googling for you.

When you know your strategy I will be happy to source property for free thats suits your criteria. For free.

Regards,

Matthew Frost

http://www.freepropertybuyersagent.com

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Thats awesome about goal setting -we're very committed to that and try to write down our goals every day – but its so hard sometimes! because theres so many options i get swayed on goals – but having help would be ideal

So what are your goals? Other than the one below?

I am 22 and we want to retire through property by 25….A positive cashflow of $100K at least. DO you think this is too ambitious?

So how are you going to make $100K a year in only 3 years? It's fine to have goals but you have top have an idea of how you will go about it. Not just pick an age and a figure and say "that's what I want". Sorry if that sounds harsh. If you do have a plan on how to achieve that I take my hat off to you and concede that you do NOT need a mentor.

We both work full time but my partner has agreed that once we get property rolling and do our first deal…i'll immediately cut back work…to focus more on investing while he continues to work and pay rent
    rach

How are you going to fund these investments if you are not working full time? or are you on amazing money?

BTW I'd speak to Nathan. He made his first million at 21. He's 26 now.He really knows his stuff.

@r.crawford51-gmail.com

Wow you guys have pearls of wisdom. thanks for lending your time to reply!
    We are remaining to work full time until we get our strategy rolling.

While i have read many books – and i mean a lot, i’d like someone to help me clarify things.
    While we want 100K in passive income, I want to source deals that provide cash flow each week and also deals that provide lump sums of cash to invest in bigger and better things. WHile we might begin in residential property – single family homes to begin with, apartment blocks are down the track.
    While this goal sounds fine – making it into reality as you know is different. so a mentor can help clarify these a bit better.
    The deals that provide lump sums will be split into further property deals and also a share strategy (haha dont worry its not trading)..its a business start up.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

I am not sure why you are posting here asking about a “Mentoring Program” when isn’t this what Steve McKnight offers? He seems like a great bloke to me. Why not sign up to his program? There are many students who have succeeded in this program.

@r.crawford51-gmail.com

Steve MCknight  doesn't offer a mentor program does he?? I thought he just did the occassional seminar?
    i'd be VERY interested if he did run mentoring!!!

@r.crawford51-gmail.com

I think the investment program that he endorses is reults….which is what i want to get into

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.