All Topics / Help Needed! / Home & Land Package

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of sha2011sha2011
    @sha2011

I have an inspiration to buy a property which is Home & Land package type. For the bank I have to show that as IP and later convert into PPOR (that’s why I bring to forum before I go to bank) & this is going to be my first property. In this case,

a)       What is the general practice during the construction time is it I have to commence repayment? (Because Bank’s point of view this is IP not PPOR)

b)      Any issue arise when I going to claim First Home Grand and Bonus?

c)       is it  legal to do so?

d)      Pls advice if any other factors I have to consider?

Cheers

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Which state ?

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of sha2011sha2011
    @sha2011
    Participant
    @shape

Hi,

a) Not to sure what your trying to ask??? also all banks are different how they view a construction loan.
    b) I would be a bit careful here, what you declare to the bank will go directly to OSR- so in the forms if YOU say it’s for investment or declare potential rent etc…you may forfeit the FHOG. There have been cases where buyers declare to the bank as an IP to pass serviceability but later apply for the FHOG via OSR directly, OSR was forced to do a “investigation”.
    c) Legal for you or the bank? i can’t see anything illegal from either party from what your telling us so far…unless you provide a bit more details.

As long as you can service the loan + no declared rental income then your fine…but
    1. Don’t declare as an investment- the bank will still accept it as an PPOR ( only diff is rent you pay currently won’t be removed)
    2. Don’t declare any potential future rental

I have not seen a bank reject the follow 2 options above ( especially if you can service the loan) , it’s up to you declare purpose not the bank.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@sha2011

Thanks Shape,

If I explain little bit more my first question

a)      During the construction period I have to pay part payment only (eg; once foundation complete, first floor complete, roof complete & Balance ect). This process take around 9 months as per my discussion.  I am wondering how & when repayments have to start. Ie after house ready to occupy?

c)      Any legal issue I have to face, due to apply investment property and occupy myself and apply for FHOG!!

If I declare as FHOG at beginning of application, approved amount is around 300K (for my income 63k) but I needs another 55K (total expecting amount is 355K).

And thank you very much for enlighten me about OSR and Bank how closely work. This may be answer to “(c) “?

Thank you very much

Participant
    @shape

That’s right, construction loan is paid as progressed payment, you start paying the mortgage once you get your 1st set of payment, so over the 9 month period, you will start with a small part of the loan/mortgage and it will increase as the bank release more funds.

There are normally 6 stages…The % is the % of the total loan cost.

1. Preparation — 5%
    Plans, permits, connection fees, insurance, driveway crossings and soil test.

2. Base -12 %–
    Concrete slab complete or footings and base brickwork complete.

3. Frame–10%—
    House frame is complete and approved by building surveyor/inspector.

4. Lock-up—21%—
    Windows/Doors ,Roofing, Brickwork, Insulation

5. Fixing–39%—-
    Plaster, Kitchen cupboards, Appliances, Bathroom, toilet, laundry fittings/tiling, Heating
    Fixing/internal doors etc, Plumbing,Electrical, Painting

6. Completion—13%–
    Fencing, Site clean-up, Supervising builder

Yes you will have an issue if you declare as investment …you risk the OSR rejecting the FHOG.

It sounds like you have a serviceability issue, and that’s why the bank is declaring this as an IP as well- to let the “potential rent” kick in….i think you need to either;

1. Re-work your budget,if you can’t afford a $355 loan
    2. Work with an experienced broker or ask different banks, as each bank looks at serviceability differently— especially over time etc…

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@sha2011

Thanks for clear picture of repayment detail.

Actual issue here is when I ask IP loan, bank accepting that I can contribute monthly around 1200 (while I am paying my current rent (around 1100). But when I ask for my first home loan they are not accepting I can make 2300 contribution for each month!!!

That’s right I will check with mortgage broker and see what he advice.

Thanks shape

Participant
    @shape
    sha2011 wrote:

Thanks for clear picture of repayment detail.

Actual issue here is when I ask IP loan, bank accepting that I can contribute monthly around 1200 (while I am paying my current rent (around 1100). But when I ask for my first home loan they are not accepting I can make 2300 contribution for each month!!!

That’s right I will check with mortgage broker and see what he advice.

Thanks shape

From the bank’s point of view the rent you pay of $1,1000 is still a liability until you finish building because you need a place to live during this 9 month ( not the case with all bank’s though- so are willing to take on end debt as long as you have enough funds in savings to pay for 9 month i/o)

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.