All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice and answers needed for a couple looking to invest in property =)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

Hi guys!

My partner and i found this forum after purchasing 260 properties in 7 years – great book i may add!

We are looking into property investing and would like some advice or some input on how to go about things as we want to do things right from the beginning…

I will give you a brief run down on our situation at the moment:

Combined income at the moment is a little over 120k annually.
    We have NO debt and by this we mean NO debt
    We are currently renting in the ACT
    We have around 75k – 80k in savings
    First home/investment buyers
    Are keen on setting up a system/structure the "right" way from the beginning

We are considering purchasing an investment property that has been advertised for 325k, add about 12k for stamp duty and using our savings to pay the deposit, stamp duty and then have some equity in the house with the remainder.  We are not sure if paying interest only or half interest/half principal – any tips or incite on this?

Steve mentions in his book that setting up a trust structure for asset protection and for some tax benefits is a good way to go about things – can someone give some information on how this may benefit my partner and i in more detail? e.g. how do we use the trust to borrow money from the banks?  how is it possible to borrow more money from the banks after we have purchased this property? and any other info??

We are a little confused on how we should go about things as we are very new to all of this but are looking forward to learning all about it and getting in on the action! =)

We will be talking to an accountant for more info but thought that this site would be a great place to start =)

Sorry if these questions are silly but i'll say it again – we are new to all of this :D

thanks guys and looking forward to hear from you =)

InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

My partner also thinks that buying a home first is a better idea than purchasing an investment property – could you please clarify what you think would be our best option or give ideas of what our options are taking into consideration our situation?

Profile photo of Ashley CAshley C
    Participant
    @ashley-c

My view is that rather than paying rent, you would be better off paying off a home loan. You can then borrow against the equity in your home to assist in purchasing investment properties.

This of course does depend on how the numbers stack up and you should look at this. How does your rent compare to likely home loan payments? What would your cash flow postion be for an IP and does that change the balance?

Also, ask yourself what’s important to you – is there a non financial motivation to owning your own home?

Lastly, you should research the performance of property in the area where you are looking and get an idea of where the market is heading. If prices are likely to come off further then it may be better to try and time your entry into the market to position yourself for maximum capital growth.

InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

We are thinking about purchasing a home to live in which we would take a 500k loan which will cost us around $950p/w in repayments.

Our rent at the moment is $355 p/w

If we were to put out savings into the investment property i have talked about in the above post then we will use our savings and borrow around $261k – rental return on this property would be about $380p/w which would cover the weekly loan repayments if we were to pay interest only (not sure if this is a good idea – paying interest only – any info on this?)

From what i have gathered – we will be paying nothing in the loan repayments (maybe $30 – $50 at a max between us both) while renting as well – we would have also paid off about 64k off the rental property which is advertised at 325k meaning we would have 64k in equity right??  could we then borrow against this equity and then buy a home to live in?

I think IF we were to buy a home first the banks may reject an application for another loan IF we were to apply for one to get this investment property but i think IF we were to get this investment property first our chances for a loan for a home where we reside in would be better??  meaning the outcome of this scenario would be that we have an investment property where we pay next to nothing or literally nothing in home loan repayments and then just pay off our home loan??

thanks for your post and i look forward to hearing more from you =)

regards,

Rookies :P

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

In theory, you are right. Buy the IP, then use whatever equity to help purchase your PPoR. You still need to cover the loan on the equity + your res. home loan, if you were to get it. A lot of people forget that using equity is still borrowed money. It ain't free. Will your combined incomes support your IP leveraged to the hilt AND a PPoR?

The first thing though is the equity you have in your IP is not enough to borrow on unless you were to raise the Loan to Value Ratio (LVR) from 80% up to say 90%, which then increases your outgoing payments making the property negative. If the market drops then the bank can ask you to make up the difference to get your LVR down, so you will be treding on uncharted territory for both of you and probably not the best strategy.

Also you can only borrow up to 80% (usually) of your equity, so the difference between 80% LVR now ( your $64k deposit) and 90% is $32k less 20% is only $25,600
    Does this make sense?

Personally, given you are starting out and havent got huge finances to play with, I'd look at :

• buying your first IP rather than a home to live in as the tax gains are much better and you have a rent income.
    • Secondly I would probably take as much care as I could to research areas to look for the best capital gain potential suburb that I could afford and buy a property really close to the next suburb that is more expensive. ( See RP Data & Residex for this info).
    • Thirdly I would look for an IP that needs some work, or I can add value to in some other way either straight away ( a cosmetic renovation) or down the line Eg: a subdivision, add a granny flat or convert an extention or garage, or develop the whole block.. This way you are in a position to create your own equity in the property, rather than waiting for the market to dictate that to you.

If you were to buy your own home first, what happens in many cases is you buy a place you want to live in which costs more than an IP that you dont want to live in. Your liability to the mortgage is much higher and you find it hard to save enough to get to the next stage of property investing. Most people never get there and those that do it can take years.

One other option ff you dearly wish to live in your own house first, is to set up a company and buy it in the company name, then you rent it off the company. The tax deductions are the same as an IP although for all intents and purposes, you have your PPoR.
    Check all this out with your accountant. Make sure they specialize in property or you are wasting your time ( and money)

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info. Tools & Resources For Investors With A Sense of Humour.

Participant
    @ashley-c

Whatever you do, don’t buy a property in a company as suggested. The CGT consequences would be a disaster.

You really do need to do the numbers and factor in the tax impact. The tax benefits of a negatively geared IP can be good but if still paying rent then you have to look at your total income and asset position.

I would be surprised if this is better renting and buying an IP.

As for buying a home – do be careful not to over capitalise. If you start with something more modest you can still save towards an IP.

You can then trade up once you have built up wealth and/or income and any profit is tax free under the main residence exemption.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Assuming your username relfects where you live.

The first thing I would do if I was in your situation is go and see a broker. Jamie M is in the ACT – you can get a feel for Jamie by his comments on  this forum. Recommend you do a search by username and see what you think.

Your third post has a lot of 'IFs' in it. Until you definitive answers to these IFs you could be taking an approach that is not going to work. While everyone talsk about property – property is somewhat of a secondary consideration. First consideration should always be finance. I always recommend people should get the financial picture right before looking at property.

Give Jamie a call.

As for the home V IP debate.

Really a matter of personal preference. Most people could mount a case supporting both positions and in many respects it comes down to a financial decision (IP) V an emotional decision (Own Home). Only you and your partner will know the answer to that question.

For what it is worth the home mortgage is a bigger ask than looking after an investment loan as you don't have any assistance from rent or tax deductions.

Call Jamie.

Participant
    @ashley-c

Is the home loan more of a risk?

You can’t ignore the fact that you are paying rent and building someone elses asset in the process.

It is also problematic to do a simple cash flow analysis/comparison when the home investment is substantially more than the IP.

You need to run the numbers and take the full position into account incl cap growth, taxes (incl cgt), rent, etc.

If your are willing to start smaller with your home your risk will shrink.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    InvestingCoupleACT wrote:
    We are thinking about purchasing a home to live in which we would take a 500k loan which will cost us around $950p/w in repayments.

Our rent at the moment is $355 p/w 

The extra payments plus your lack of deposit (after you buy PPOR) will severely restrict you ability to buy an IP.

If we were to put out savings into the investment property i have talked about in the above post then we will use our savings and borrow around $261k – rental return on this property would be about $380p/w which would cover the weekly loan repayments if we were to pay interest only (not sure if this is a good idea – paying interest only – any info on this?)

Yes pay interest only. Put any extra money into the offset account. When you buy a PPOR pay extra into that. Always pay personal debt first as it's not tax deductable.

From what i have gathered – we will be paying nothing in the loan repayments (maybe $30 – $50 at a max between us both) while renting as well – we would have also paid off about 64k off the rental property which is advertised at 325k meaning we would have 64k in equity right??  could we then borrow against this equity and then buy a home to live in?

Do NOT under any circumstances do this. Borrow at 80%. Any extra money you have put it into an offset account against the loan. That will lower your repayments the same as if you paid it into the loan. The difference is it is YOUR money to take out when you wish. If you pay off the loan then pull the money out to buy a PPOR you lose that money in tax deductions because you spent it on personal purchases. If you pull the money out of the offset account you sdtill retain the tax benefits on the whole lot of the loan.

I think IF we were to buy a home first the banks may reject an application for another loan IF we were to apply for one to get this investment property but i think IF we were to get this investment property first our chances for a loan for a home where we reside in would be better??  meaning the outcome of this scenario would be that we have an investment property where we pay next to nothing or literally nothing in home loan repayments and then just pay off our home loan??
    Rookies :P

The bank looks at your expenditure VS your outgoings. Rent is calculated at 75-80%. Having the IP would not increase your chances of a PPOR loan. Not while it's negatively geared anyway.

InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

Hi I am the other half of the couple! Thanks for your amazing insights, we are very grateful for all the advice!

I am starting to think that an IP may be our best bet if we are trying to get ahead financially. I would like to invest in a home but perhaps down the track when we have made some money? The emotional investment can wait…

If we were to get an IP, what would we need to do in order to get another loan to purchase a second IP?

Do you think being successful property investors is very likely? Ie Buying more and more property (smartly ofcourse) and making enough money to increase partial financial independence?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Do you think being successful property investors is very likely? Ie Buying more and more property (smartly ofcourse) and making enough money to increase partial financial independence?

Yes. You have good income. No debts and a good deposit.

If we were to get an IP, what would we need to do in order to get another loan to purchase a second IP?

Once you buy the first one (with your extra money in the offset) get pre approval for the next one and use the money in your offset to pay the 20% deposit + legals, stamp duty etc. The bank may let you lend to 90% but you will need to pay LMI.
    repeat/repeat/repeat.

If you buy properties that are not too negatively geared you will be able to repeat. If the properties are too negatively geared you will hit a wall sooner than if they aren't. But with your income you can afford to be a bit negatively geared if you need to be.
    You could buy places that need small renos (or big if you are that way inclined). Do the reno and this instantly (or should otherwise you are wasting your time)increase the equity AND the rent. You can revalue if you need to withdraw the money out for a deposit on the next one.

eg buy $250K. Reno $15K new price  $310K. So increase of $45K. Reval and you have $36K for the next one (80% of $45K).

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi investingcouple

Welcome to the forum.

If it were me (and this is only my opinion – it wouldn't suit everyone) I'd look at purchasing your first home as an owner occupied property. That way, you can take advantage of the FHOG and possibly concessional stamp duty (who knows how long this will continue – NSW is scrapping it from 1 January 2012).

For the finance, I would look to take out an interest only loan with an offset attached. Instead of paying down the principle, simply place any savings into the offset account (which will have the same effect) and then you can withdraw these funds down the track if you ever decide to turn this property into an IP.

In Canberra, I have a preference towards 3 or 4 bedroom houses in the outer burbs (Tuggeranong or Belconnen) on decent size blocks. Something that can be cosmetically renovated cheaply – that way, you're creating the equity instead of waiting for time to do its thing. Here's an example of a property my wife and I recently renovated (in our spare time) – http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.205513116151125.43824.127826280586476&type=1

Again, these are only my opinions – others will have different thoughts on what the best approach may be.

Best of luck with whichever path you go down.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

Thanks for you advice as it is really clearing a few things up for us.

This is what we have come up since joining this forum and with the great advice we and opinions we have received!

The cost of the house is 325k – around 340k with stamp duty and legal fees (rough estimate)

20% of 340k = 68k – this will be the deposit on the house and should leave us with 53k equity in the house?

68k – 78k = 10k which we will then put into the offset account

if we lock in the interest rate with st george (example only) for 3 years we will be locked in at an interest rate of 6.54%

325k (price of house) – 53k (deposit) = 272k – 10k ($$$ in offset) = 262k (amount we will be charged interest ondue to 10k being in the offset acc)

the amount we will be paying back each week will be as follows IF my calculations are correct:

262k (offset amount), locked interest rate of 6.54% over 3 years paying interest only = about $356.98 – rent of $380 = positive gearing of $23 right from the start???

Is this a good place to be starting off at??

To be honest there is nothing that we can do to the townhouse to increase its value or rental income at the time being due the place being in quite good condition already and i cant see it increasing too much in the next few years although who knows!

Given the above figures and considering they are correct….  do you think that this would be a good start to our portfolio??

Thanks again as i never thought i would be coming up with equations like the above 1 night after being on this forum! =)

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again

If you decide to buy it as an IP – I'd consider using less of your own cash and more of the banks. If you took out a 90% loan (and paid some LMI) you'd be able to leverage more of the banks money and also be able to claim more on the interest repayments. The remaining cash could then be parked in an offset account.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for STG for an interest only loan with offset – there offset doesn't work in the true sense of an offset account. If you're looking for a 3 year fixed rate – they're not the most competitive either.

Where are you looking to purchase? $325k for a townhouse in Canberra sounds good (that's assuming it's in Canberra).

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

InvestingCoupleACT
    Participant
    @investingcoupleact

Jamie are you in Canberra?? We should catch up and have a chat as we are looking to get into the market. We should be approved for a loan on Wednesday fir 500k to purchase a place we wi be residing in although I’m thinking I would rather buy an IP that is positively geared as a first place and as an IP.

Do you thi k this is a good idea??

What are ur thoughts on our thought in our post before your last post??? :s

Would setting up a trust be beneficial to us??

Thanks for ur input!

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again

Yep, I'm based in Canberra.

Feel free to give me a buzz during the week and I'll help you work through your questions.

Do I think a trust is beneficial? I don't know enough about your situation to advise – but in general, I think that too many people get caught up in the idea of purchasing in a trust structure when it may not be that necessary.

The debate about cashflow or capital growth has been going on for years. Personally, I don't get too caught up in either – I just look for an investment that suits my strategy. I have both positive and negatively geared properties – townhouses, units and houses.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.