All Topics / Value Adding / Average Town House

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi All,

I am looking at building a townhouse and I have been told I can fit a 2 or 3 bedroom town house on the site.

Either way the bottom level would be about 77 sqm and upstairs about 55 sqm.

I would like to have the 3 bedroom but concerned it will be too small. The 2 bedroom would be more generous but obviously you loose the extra bedroom.

As a general rule of thumb what do people classify a 'comfortable/standard' size of a 3 bed townhouse?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the above.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Mav

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The last townhouse we purchased was 140m2 and it was quite comfortable. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, DLUG two story terrace townhouse.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of veseliveseli
    @veseli

I would make it 3bed but third bed can be small, as long as you can fit bed in there and small wardrobe it will sell as a bedroom, and thats what counts, but two beds must be good size, dont make them all small.

Trust me property valuers and REA when valuing your property ,they compare how many beds, baths is in there.

I've just quoted a granny flat 60m3 and its got 3beds so im sure you can fit 3bed in 132m2 but it all comes back to the draft person, sometimes the plans are really bad and you cant fit it.

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

I do agree. Do you know what the standard size would be for a 3 bed townhouse?

Profile photo of veseliveseli
    @veseli

It could be anywhere from 120-180sqm

What you have is a good size, and as i said its all up to the architect.
    I've built some properties where i felt sorry for people spending all that money on such a bad design house.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Hi Mav86,

This is a question I am asked a lot. There is no "one size fits all" answer, however, it's almost certain that the bigger it is the more it will cost. So, if you are looking to make a profit it's a good idea to contain costs.

We recently got a permit for a client for a 3br + study dwelling, behind an existing dwelling, that was 99m2. It's small but will be comfortable enough. It uses a few tricks like plenty of natural light; clever storage; minimal corridors; differing ceiling heights.

It's my opinion that the size of the dwelling is not that important.

What is important is how the space looks, feels and works.

I do think that bedroom sizes are important and have found that 3m x 3m (excluding robe) is about as small as a comfortable bedroom can be, and that 3.6m x 3.6m gives the feeling of a big bedroom.

Also, a smaller room with a larger window, will often appear larger than a larger room with a small window!

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property

In my opinion, it really depends on the suburb and the the type of product that you are building. Best to see what other developers are building and selling nearby and speak to agents for their opinion.

Building a standard townhouse compared to a architecturally designed townhouses are two different things and also in cost wise.
    Bigger town homes means extra money for construction, you will need to see how the number stack up in your feasibility.

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

As a three bedroom townhouse naturally it will be targetting either of the following groups.
    – Young family
    – Professional couple
    – Retirees downsizing

As you have mentioned above a large bedroom is 3.6 x 3.6. Well what would a large downstairs living area be deemed to be a large/spaciouse area?

Cheers,

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

I would say look at the location.
    I seen a 120 squ meter Terrance in Newton (sydney) rent for the SAME amount as the property next door which was only 72 squ meters…The area had no demand for large spaces ( all uni students + single working professional).

No point building a average, if it’s not the average for that area.

Ie 3 bedroom home in inner city :(

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.