All Topics / Help Needed! / Melbourne Property Subdivision – Check list or things i should look for? (Without getting confusing please)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Hi Guys,

Just contacted and supplied two different design/drafting firms my Section 32 and Land Titles and both have come back to me suggesting that there MIGHT be a chance to develop a small unit or townhouse on my current investment property.

It is located in Narre Warren, Victoria.

Both have said the next step is to obtain a “House” plan which cost me $66.00 from my local council (City of Casey – Melbourne). I’ll have this in a couple of days time.

Hypothetically – let’s say that the house plan comes back and both think that it might be worth pursuing – can anyone, just even ball park and not too confusing, give me an idea of the process and steps taken to pursue this.

What sort of fees would a typical design/draft firm charge to get it all organized. I understand that some of these firms do all the “paperwork” as such – but then have nothing to do with the building, despite some perhaps recommending builders.

This is all very NEW to me and i’m happy for a drafting firm to organize everything legal wise – and then deal with builders direct… just not sure about the process.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

JR

Profile photo of LAROC50LAROC50
    @laroc50

G'Day JR,

I personally started by visiting my local council. ( Inform them that you wish to build on your land)     
    I've built a house starting from that point. Your question on charges etc, every council has differing fees and charges.

I employed Braddon Building Surveying company who dealt with all my paper work, who then submitted it all to council They carried out all inspections re building progression and then did final assessment for sign off (occupancy certificate) etc 

I wish you all the best and do hope this will help you make a start.

PS you have a lot of homework to do. Get a least 3-4 written quotes from persons drawing your plans. Written quotes for all other workers Builders etc Make sure they have insurance "never assume anything" 
    Keep a strict diary of all your costings, quotes etc.   

Cheers

Laroc50
    Tassie

Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Thanks Laroc…

Appreciate your reply.

What i’ve found is that the companies that tend to do it all (propertysubdivision.com.au) tend to make a mark up on absolute everything – but have the convenience of a one stop shop.
    What i tend to do is price check everything, be absolute candid with everyone i deal with and guage there responses… and go from there.
    But hopefully we’ll come back on Friday (when i get a copy of my house plan) and that will determine more what i can/can’t do

Profile photo of The_GeneralThe_General
    @the_general

e4a,

Steps are basically as follows:

1. Get a planning permit – this involves going to a land development firm (easiest way), getting them to draft up some architecturals, place the unit on the site etc. This is very important as most councils now require a certain amount of private open space (POS) that is north facing. They will also look at overshadowing and essentially should be able to tell you straight away how good your chances are of getting approval. They will also know the council and whether or not they are a nightmare to deal with. All of this will cost you around $10k.

2. Get a building permit. This is a token requirement that you shouldn’t really have any issues with and will be quite cheap. At this stage (depending on whether you’re going to build or sell the subdivided block) you need to get a soil test done, structural and foundation designs done, as well as drainage. All up this could cost around $4k depending on the topography/soil type.

These are the main requirements that you need to develop the property. In my experience (very limited), councils are a nightmare and you need to make sure that you have a chat to them regarding the development to gauge whether they are happy with it or not. At the end of the day it is not a clear cut decision whether you get approval or not, most of it comes down to who is working at the council. E.g. stay away from Shire of Yarra Ranges at the moment.

Hope this helps slightly.

Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Thanks…

So around 10-14k give or take just in getting the OK?

Would this be the fee from the drafting service and hypothetically – should it include everything? (Excluding obviously the dealings with the builder to actually build the thing)

I understand time is money and that a drafting service requires their expertise – but should they have everything itemized for me? Do a majority of the fees go to the council, or do they go to the drafting service backpocket?

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

To get a planning permit the majority of the costs will go to the drafting/town planning services rather than the council.  There will be a list of the fees on the Casey website.  All up with advertising fees (which you pay part way through the process) the council fees would probably be in the order of $800-$900. 

Typically the unit projects I'm involved in involve 3 businesses: surveyor, designer and myself the town planner, though as mentioned above you can find all-in-one firms.  The quotes that I've seen from designers seem to itemize the inclusions and exclusions pretty well.  Also you can have a look on the Casey website as many of the councils have checklists and process flowcharts that may give you an idea of the overall process.

Cheers,

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

I hope the following doesn't stray too far off topic.

Firstly, ascertain if the project is feasible.
    In very simple terms, and before allowing for tax:

Land cost* + development costs** = cost base
    Value at completion – cost base = margin
    Your margin should be 20% or more

*The land cost needs to be included in you feasibility even if you own the land. It may be, for example that you are better off selling up and buying property better suited to subdivision and development.

**In very basic terms, the development costs include the planning and documentation, the building works, the peripheral works (like driveways and infrastructure) and any levies and contributions payable.

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi JR,

To repeat the guys above initially yes you will need your permits. Survey-wise, what is required is called a ‘Feature and Level Survey’ which involves locating all features on the subject site such as buildings, trees, paths, retaining walls, fences, everything! Overlooking properties are shown with window heights, ridge/gutter heights, significant trees, buildings etc. Also the street information and any services are shown.

In most instances with subdivision council will require a ‘Site Analysis’. This is simply where every property within a 50-100m radius is also shown on the plan with setbacks from the street. This varies council to council and your surveyor can specify exact details. I have an example of this type of survey on my website which is a free download: http://www.staceysurveying.com.au/services (scroll down a bit and there’s a link).

After this you can get your surveyor to start the subdivision process, this means undertaking a re-establishment of title survey (showing the relation of fences to title) and submitting that to the titles office. An initial plan of subdivision will also be drawn up and sent in. From here it’s just a matter of building the new house.

I hope this could be of some help to you.

Kindest Regards,
    Ashley Stacey

Profile photo of joehannjoehann
    @joehann

I wouldn't bother talking to the council to be honest. They never tell you anything concrete because interpretations of rules change all the time. Go talk to a local surveyor, and ask about whats going on.

Look around the area for similar properties that is a good way to tell if you can do it or not.

I've also heard that there is going to be a planning update from the state government soon so things might change, but i reckon your alright to go now.

Chris

http://mysubdivision.net

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

The steps an experienced design and planning consultant will advise are:
    Do a prelim sketch design
    Have a Pre App meeting with your local Council planner
    Order the feature survey
    Complete the design and Town Planning Application documents
    Submit to the Council
    Respond to the RFI
    Manage the objections from neighbours
    Work hard and collaborate to get a permit or NoD (if there are objectors)
    Get endorsed drawings
    Go about the subdivision process and build
    But do your feaso after the pre app meeting or prior

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.