All Topics / Value Adding / Kitchen: Paint cupboard doors vs replace with new

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

hey folks,

looking for some advice from either experienced renovators or tradies in the know. I am renovating a kitchen in my IP apartment. approx 16 years old, kitchen is original. Benchtop, sink, stove, tiles and floor have to go, no questions asked. But I'm looking at the the cupboard doors and trying to decide what to do:

a) replace with new doors only + handles
    b) scrub clean and leave as is + new handles
    c) remove, sand, repaint + new handles

or do I just rip out the whole kitchen and start from scratch? I've heard that you can get kitchens quite cheap, so is it worth the effort?

All the doors at eye-level appear in good condition. They are currently white melamine with no handles. I will be painting the whole place in neutral tones. Going to meet a tradie recommended by someone on the site soon to chat and get his thoughts, but thought I'd put it out there. Have you tried repainting?

if i've done this right, here's a photo of the kitchen currently: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nczWNdZCWPfxlSjd7t82Eg?feat=directlink

Cheers,
    Emma

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hi Emma,

FYI the pics aren't showing up atm.  Getting a message on the page that says " Oops… there's nothing to see here …"

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

In the past I have never seen value in spending money on an old kitchen as new ones are so cheap.
    But I recently changed my mind with my last purchase.

Kitchen was in good condition but doors were an ugly colour. I didn't want to replace now so I painted the doors and put on new handles.
    Turned out great.

I'm thinking over time the doors will scratch but I will replace eventually. I wouldn't be spending any decent amount on buying new doors though. But it really depends. With new doors will it look near new or just like a done up one? That's the difference. If it's a great benchtop and good layout go ahead. But if you will still need to replace it down the track take that into account.
    My only cost was the undercoat ($30) but I've got most still for another job plus handles $20 set of 10 in Bunnings. They weren't that much different for ones selling for $5-8 each.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I think it depends on what area the property is in. If it is in an affluent area, then a new kictchen would be worthwhile. And in a lower socio economic area it might be best to do a cheap job and save a bit of money. Also depends on what kind of house it is.

I would think that in most situations it would be easier just to replace the cupboards, they arent that expensive expecially if you are installing them yourself and if the kitchen isn't too big. You will be able to depreciate new cupboards, but not really be able to claiom much if you just repaint them, so a bit of a tax break will help ease the pain of the cost of the purchase.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl
    itsandrew wrote:

FYI the pics aren't showing up atm.  Getting a message on the page that says " Oops… there's nothing to see here …"

that might be because i forgot to change album view to public, oops… might work now

@wisepearl

just for extra info – this is a property i already own, and its an inner city apartment which i'm hoping to rent to executive market. competing with many newly built large complexes, so finishes should be to a high standard.

catalyst – u mention u paid for the undercoat, but what was on top of that for the final finish? did you DIY the doors?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Right, I think if you are targeting executive market then you should do the job properly and replace the cupboards.

Cheers,
    Luke

@wisepearl
    luke86 wrote:
    Right, I think if you are targeting executive market then you should do the job properly and replace the cupboards.

hehe i thought u might say that ;)

will see what the kitchen guy says when i meet him on monday, and will see what the difference in total cost would be. could be at the end of the day my reno budget determines my actions, not me! ideally i'll have the funds to do it all, but of course there's other more priorty actions and the budget will only stretch so far. so i may be left with the choice of just sprucing up what i have.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If the layout is functional & cupboards sound, either replace like for like or change the doors & handles only.

How about the benchtop?

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew
    wisepearl wrote:
    itsandrew wrote:

that might be because i forgot to change album view to public, oops… might work now

All good now.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Emma

Here's a before and after pic of a kitchen that we recently renovated. We simply changed the doors/handles/sink and tiled a new splashback. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=205513192817784&set=a.205513116151125.43824.127826280586476&type=1&theater

We kept the same benchtop and carcass.

I won't mention how much we paid (because we're lucky to have a cabinet maker in the family) but I couldn't imagine it would be that expensive to get the doors cut to size…and the handles can be purchased cheaply from bunnings or online.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@wisepearl
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    If the layout is functional & cupboards sound, either replace like for like or change the doors & handles only.

How about the benchtop?

it is functional, the only thing lacking is a proper pantry space! leaning towards just replacing doors + shiny new handles, cheaper and faster. cuboards are indeed sound, and in quite good condition, just some elbow grease to fix a couple stains.

benchtop is ugly mustard yellow colour and showing some chipping around the edge. will most likely replace completely rather than cover it, but that too will come down to cost and advice.

Jamie, thanks for that link, i’ve seen your canberra reno house pics a few times, looks good. i noticed you replaced doors rather than repaint. what was your reason? cost and time effective that way? or the previous doors just not in good enough condition?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Your kitchen is fine….i would just paint over with Cupboard paint ( i think the brand is called “Knight” $50 for a small tin) + change handle.

Also as another posters mentioned, if this property is in a affluent area, then that would be a different story…

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    wisepearl wrote:
    Jamie, thanks for that link, i’ve seen your canberra reno house pics a few times, looks good. i noticed you replaced doors rather than repaint. what was your reason? cost and time effective that way? or the previous doors just not in good enough condition?

No worries. My brother in law owns a flat pack kitchen business so I was very fortunate to get everything at cost price. That said though, I would have replaced the doors regardless. If it were a cheaper property I’d consider simply repainting.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @catalyst

I just painted using gloss paint.
    I think the kitchen looks fine (except the back colour) so I wouldn't spend money updating it.
    seeing as you are targeting executives though I'd think about replacing it. Where is the unit located (what city?).   We may be able to give you some contacts. Prices vary W I D E L Y.

I was going to post a before and after photo but haven't worked out how yet.

@wisepearl
    Catalyst wrote:
    Where is the unit located (what city?).  

its in East Perth

Profile photo of JeanoJeano
    Participant
    @jeano

Hi We were faced with the same question, in the end we pulled it out and put in a new kitchen, we are in Alice Springs, so in Perth you would have access to much more bargin power etc.
    The prob with just doing laminex and doors if there is wter damage in the cupboards we had a small patch you may have to rip it all out later
    Cheers

@wisepearl

thanks jeano

i actually had an excellent quote for replacement of whole kitchen so will be going ahead with that. :) i had also read about what u mentioned, apparently u need to be careful if replacing benchtop and leaving cupboards, could possibly be gaps not sealed perfectly and water seepage can damage the cupboards. plus there’s also the invisible damage that may already be there. better to just replace.

Cheers,
    Emma

Participant
    @catalyst

Hi Jeano. I'm interested in chatting with you about property in Alice.
    But I can't send you a Private message. If you don't mind can you PM me. Thanks

Profile photo of EthenGroomEthenGroom
    @ethengroom

Hi Wisepearl

I looked at your picture of the kitchen and I thought it looked pretty decent. Of course you might be able to see a bit more flaws since you are living there. I think that the target market that you are trying to reach should ultimately determine what you do with the kitchen. If you are hoping to rent out/sell to students or people just starting out then you do not want to put expensive effort into fixing the house as this would increase the rent price.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.