All Topics / Overseas Deals / Claimable expenses : US tax ….. help ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of RickHRickH
    @rickh

Hi Guys,

I have my property up and running but have yet to takle US taxes.
    I presume it is different to Australian rules, but what expenses are claimable against income for us tax ?

Loan repayment ? Interest only or P&I ?

Management fees ?

Repairs ?

Any input would be helpful ……. please no accountants looking for business !

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Rick

You really need to speak with an accountant in the area / state you are investing in. I don't think many Aust accountants will be able to help you with the specifics. I spent 30 mins with an acc. in the town I was looking at investing in, in Michigan, a couple of years ago and learned more in that short time than you will find in a year trail blazing these forums.

Every state is different. Company set ups, paperwork, taxes and deductions can differ as well.

Also I think that if you are looking at buying in the US it's a lot easier to forget the LLC thing and get good insurance. Much less hassle and expense with similar protection and the same tax deductions from what I understand.

If you are looking at buying a stack of properties then it would be wise to look at company options, but one, two or three properties, I wouldn't bother. I'm finding it takes a couple of hundred to set up an LLC but a hell of a lot more to keep them running, in time and money, providing the IRS and all the other govt/state depts with the right forms – (every quarter in some states.) A right pain in the a.

Sorry Ive gone off your topic a bit, but a 20 minute skype phone call to a local CPA will save you a bundle as well.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Humour.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hey Rick,

James Simango (US Tax Central in Brisbane) is a great help. He's a CPA in the US and also in Australia.

I'll try to do an interview with him on the topic of tax deductions and add in to the US Focus Group resources in the next couple of weeks.

You might also want to check out a book called 'tax wise'. I got it off Amazon. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Tax-Wise-Business-Ownership-Toby-Mathis/dp/0979786002

Cheers,

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of HighIncomePropertyHighIncomeProperty
    @highincomeproperty

I would have to agree with Ian and Steve, although you can (after some time) learn to do your own tax returns etc, it's always advisable to speak to an accountant or tax strategist upfront, to make sure you get your structure correct.
    As you might also know, there's very few people out there who can "legally" advise you, even if we think we know the answer:-)

[email protected]

Profile photo of RickHRickH
    @rickh

Thanks Steve,

I look forward to see the interview if you manage to get it organised. That would be great help

Rick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.