All Topics / Help Needed! / starting out

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of laying planslaying plans
    @laying-plans

This is my first post So my wife and I have decided to finally take the step of property investment. We have just opened a first home saver account so cannot realistically buy for 4 years. This is off set though by the extra money we can save in high interest accounts utilising the honeymoon period and then when that ceases close that account and then transfer the balance to another high interest account.

We  are just wondering what would be some tips from the property investors on this site on how to get a started. At this stage very overwhelming. We know the first step is the hardest but just seems so far away. I am getting educated somewhat by reading relevant investment magazines but see this as a way to get some definitive help and information because we all are interested in the same subject of property investment. I look forward to reading some of your views

Thankyou in advance

Stephen

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Stephen

Welcome!

Just to clarify:  you are wanting to buy a place to live in?  Or an investment property that tenants will reside in?

If it's a place you'll live in, I presume you guys are eligible for the First Home Owner Grant?

If you can tell us what state you are in, and what approximate area you are hoping to buy in, it will help us understand the stamp duty taxes and so on relevant to your situation.

But generally, the rule is that land is king.  The more land you own the better.  Better still if it is within an hour commute of a major city such as Sydney or Melbourne.  Personally I prefer houses or townhouses over flats in multi-storey buildings for this reason.  It is land that goes up in value, not the building sitting on it.  So the more land you have, the better.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Dont take advise from ppl who gain from you making a purchase, such as brojers, real estate agents, magazines extra.
    These ppl make money from selling you things, not from investing.

Dont listen to baby boomers, neighbours, ppl at bbq or the person working behind the counter at your fav local shop.

Don’t by anything emotionally

Don’t by negative geared property

Don’t by positive geared 200 year old property in the middle of no where

By bargin good valued high yeilding property in smart areas with the cheapest finance possible at the highest lvg

Wait your turn and don’t get greedy when you see others appear to make money on spectulative buying

I belive there will be some great deals on the market in the mid term future when this current property bubble pops

Ohhh and I almost forgot lol, don’t by property on the expectation of capital gains

Profile photo of laying planslaying plans
    @laying-plans

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. Initially we are looking to purchase our PPOR and from that gain some equity through minor renovation to obtain a investment property and then another and another and so forth. We have kinda done things backward but now our eyes are slowly openbing to the benefits of property investment. What I mean is we have had our kids first now have 3 kids under 3.5 so money can somewhat be tight but lucky enought to be in a job that pays well enough to save a bit as well as live lol. We are very much in the infancy stage. Seeing we are locked in for 4 years of saving which will do us good and give us a chance to research researea resaerch.

We are able to obtain first home owners grant [as long as it is still available] A tentative figure we will have available to put towards deposit etc will be approx $50000-75000 of savings. We will be looking around outer eastern melbourne some suburbs include The basin, Montrose, Mt Evelyn, Lilydale etc as our kids are going to school in Mt Evelyn. Prices now for what we looking for is about $350000-400000 so who knows what it will be in 4 years.

There are so many ways to invest in property I guess our initial interest is minor renovations to increase equity that would then fund further purchases in the future. I think different ares that you would buy in would have different tactics related to an area. I look forward to my experience growing through fellow investors replies to my questions. We would be so grateful to any one who has any helpful tips to a couple just starting down the road of property.

Thankyou in advance and thanks to the people who have replied so far

Stephen and Katrina

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Ahh then you have four years to refine your saving skills, and also to identify stellar properties.  Here are few suggestions:

You could spend some of your weekends educating yourselves on things like:

– What kind of properties offer you more for less?  For instance, is there a massive loungeroom that could have a piece sliced off it to create another bedroom?  The cost of adding a wall might be say, $1k-$2k, whereas the cost of buying a house with the additional bedroom ready-made is more in the order of $40k.

– What kind of things can you see that you could do to improve the property?  eg does it need a whole new kitchen?  or would simply changing the handles on the cupboards and doors suffice?  Or perhaps keeping the carcass and changing the doors and handles?

– What sorts of things are prevalent in your chosen area that are likely to cost you a heap of money? eg is it an older area where the houses are all on old stumps?  Upskill on the cost of things such as restumping and re-roofing so you can look at a property and say to yourself "bang, right there – that's gonna cost me $5k".  such costs can be included in your reasons for your offer on a property.  eg "I know you want $400k, but I know restumping is required and that will cost $10k so I offer you $390k".

– Are there parts of town where the blocksizes are bigger, offering opportunity to subdivide and sell the backyard?  Take a visit to council and ask to see the zoning maps and have someone explain block size minimums to you.  Realise that the zoning and min block sizes might change during the next four years.

– Help some mates out with their renos.  It will give you a bit of experience in a few bits and pieces and give you the confidence to look at something and say "yeah I can see it needs this and that but I know how to do that and I know where to buy the hardware from, and the task will take me only 3 weekends".  You'll also be able to look at an ugly or dated room and look past it to say "yes this room is awful, but I know that if I paint it white, change the window coverings, the door handles and the lightfittings, it'll be just lovely".

– spend a bunch of weekends in the hardware store to understand what you can buy there, and what things cost.  it does sound stupid, but it is handy to know for eg, "well a solid new chrome doorhandle will cost me $25" for instance.

– visit free DIY sessions at your local hardware store.  watch "how to" videos on youtube.  You'd be surprised how much you can learn!

just a few things to get you thinking.  good luck!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

What's the matter with baby boomers? I'm one and I'd listen to me.

I was always told "listen to those who have what you want or are where you want to be". Obviously they know what they are doing.

There are many different paths to property investment. Read as many books as you can and work out the right path for you to achieve your goal. Work out what your goal is of course. Make it specific. Not "I want to retire in 10 years". Specify what you will do to achieve your final goal. Eg save $30,000 by ** then buy a property that is neutrally geared. Do a reno, reval and buy again etc etc (whatever your strategy is).
    It can be confusing but the more you read the more you'll work out. Read forums and ask questions about things you have read to gain clarity.
    Go to a few courses if you can. Not the $1000's of dollar ones. There are some cheap and free ones that are OK for beginners. You can meet likeminded people too. Attend meetups etc.  This is one of the best things to get you moving to your end goal.
    Good luck with your future endeavors.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    laying plans wrote:
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. Initially we are looking to purchase our PPOR and from that gain some equity through minor renovation to obtain a investment property and then another and another and so forth.

Hi Stephen and Katrina

Welcome to the forum.

I like this idea. You'll receive the FHOG and potentially concessionary stamp duty (depending on the state in which you purchase). You also receive the non-monetary benefits of home ownership – such as stability.

If you buy something that you can add value to – you may be in a position to tap into this equity sooner, and purchase your first first IP shortly after (it obviously depends on your borrowing capacity as well). As you said – you simply repeat the process (which becomes easier as you become more familiar with whole concept).

Have you considered using a smaller deposit and taking out a 95% loan so you can get into the market sooner? It will incur some hefty mortgage insurance (which can be added to the loan) but at least you'll be in the game sooner and the general consensus is that right now is a "buyers" market.

Best of luck.

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @jamie-m
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    Dont take advise from ppl who gain from you making a purchase, such as brojers, real estate agents, magazines extra.

Hi hbbehrendorff

Can you elaborate please? When I started out, my mortgage broker at the time was one of the best resources I had.

I'm now in a position were I'm frequently providing advice to investors – which I'm sure they're appreciative of (many of whom frequent this forum).

Your obviously not engaging these professionals in the right manner.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Well just think about it for a second, Do you think a real estate agent showing you through a particular property is going to tell you what a bad buy it is ?

Do you think a finance broker is going to try and convince someone not to get a loan ?

Can you provide reasons as to why an Investor would want to take particular "Investing" advice from either a broker or real estate agent ?

Now don't confuse tailored advice concerning your profession with advice on investing before you answer my question

Profile photo of laying planslaying plans
    @laying-plans

Massive thankyou guys

Just seeing your ideas and your willingness to share them has confirmed in me that being a part of these sorts of forums is a very helpful tool. So many ideas jacm that i have taken note of and things that you have said have confirmed my ideas i had eg going to hardware stores to do handyman courses etc. please kepp sharing jacm because you have same great ideas.

Next Thankyou catalyst for taking the time to reply. Its really appreciated. Very helpful ideas you shared

Jamie 1 comment you said was buy something where improvements can be made. This is a real good idea that we are thinking will apply to our PPOR and then reval so we can release equity and get our 1st IP. In all honesty I am almost jumping out of my skin knowing that I am recieving help from you guys as we are very green in this area. I know however that after recieving all your advice and I know I will never stop learning I will be better for it

Participant
    @jamie-m
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    Now don't confuse tailored advice concerning your profession with advice on investing before you answer my question

Sure – that's where there's been a misunderstanding. If the person organising the finance was also trying to spruik a property I'd be running for the hills.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.