All Topics / Help Needed! / SEPP Senior living – Tricky question!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Naremburn123Naremburn123
    @naremburn123

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the the State Environmental Planning Policy (Housing for Seniors or People with a Disability) 2004.

It basically allows the building on higher density developments ( than normally permitted) in NSW. But they must be sold to 55+.

However I don't understand this policy – In fill self care housing ( so villas townhouses etc) are permissible in existing areas. But are not permissible on land that adjoins land that is zoned primarily for urban purposes. Only serviced self care, hostels and residential care are allowed here.

Somebody please! If you can shed some light on this for me.. I'm trying to work out where I'd be able to build a self care housing development.

If anybody can help that would be great!

Cheers

Naremburn.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

This is an interesting post, but outside of my expertise to answer.

I have been approached a couple of times over the years by people with either disabled children, or else from organisations representing them, inquiring about the validity of special purpose housing that can be converted back to standard residential property after a period of time. This could be an interesting niche, particularly if you could get a win-win lease.

Alternatively, as a developer, you may be able to get attractive pre-sales for a unique product.

I wasn't aware there were special planning regulations, but this makes sense.

I suggest that if you want to take it further then you should contact a town planner. They should either know, or else know how to research, an answer.

If you do find something out, please come back and share it with the community.

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

In General terms, SEPP5 requires that the proposal complies with several basic conditions:

These conditions include: (Ref: Ch 3 Part 2 Cl 26)

Proximity to banks, retail, medical & commercial uses
    Access to regular transport
    Community services & recreation facilities
    Footpaths for electric wheel chair access etc…

Many of these conditions are probably harder to meet in rural areas but are more easily met in major centres.

For more info see: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/settingthedirection/pdf/ps07_016_sepp_seniorshousing.pdf

Site compatibility: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/pub_site_compatibility_certificates_apr09.pdf

The legislation allows you to erect this style of dwelling where it complies with the guidelines – Pt 1 17 (2) as you point out prohibits "serviced self-care" on land that adjoins land zoned primarily for urban purposes that is, nursing homes/retirement villages etc where there is on-site management 24/7.

SEPP 5 is generally for multi-unit dwellings located close to services (bus/rail/doctors/shops etc) but on land which is not zoned medium density.

Profile photo of Naremburn123Naremburn123
    @naremburn123

Thanks for that feedback guys.

Very helpful. And Steve, I agree with your sentiments and think that a town planner might be the way to go in terms of getting a definite answer.

Cheers guys

Naremburn

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.