All Topics / Help Needed! / Rental property damage advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of sksk
    @sk

Hi,

I have been renting out a very nice IP (2 years old in NSW) which has been looked after fairly well.  However, the recent tenants have just moved out and have chipped the edge of the kitchen bench.

My managing agent who has a relationship with the tenants from a previous property has offered me $100 'compensation'.  Given I need to 'live with' this for ever, that hardly seems adequate.  I may want to move in one day in the future and also want to make the apartment as nice as it can be for future (now new current) tenants.

I do have landlord insurance with NRMA, but not sure what people would usually do in this situation; and what I am entitled to do.

Your factual advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi sk

Do you know how much the excess would be if you were to make a claim with NRMA? I'm not sure what the extent of the damage is but it would obviously have to be higher than the excess to make it worthwhile claiming.

How did the PM come to the $100 figure? I'm assuming that damage to a relatively new benchtop would cost more than that. Perhaps request the PM to get a quote for the damage and ask them to recoup the costs from the tenant. You shouldn't be out of pocket for this.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

You should claim back against the tenants bond to FULLY repair the damage (no matter how it is caused). Damage is damage, even if it was accidental and must be paid for by the tenant.
    I would be asking when this damage occured as it shoul dhave been picked up in the 3 monthly property inspection reports and not left until the end of a lease.
    I am assuming that this is NOT 'normal wear and tear', a term agents like to use a lot so that they do not have to do any work via a follow up with the exiting tenants and retaining the bond.
    The agent should NEVER release the bond without your approval; if they have, then the agent will be held accountable for the costs to repair. Its not 'compensation' that you are after, its therepair of the damage caused so as to bring the bench top back to a 'as new' (after taking in fair wear and tear) condition so that you can rent the property out again.
    By a 'relationship' are you suggesting a 'conflict of interest' with the agent?  Ask the agent what they mean by a 'relationship'.
    I would also consider that any lost rent be claimed during the time that it takes to complete all repairs as the property has not be returned in a 'reasonable rentable condition'.

Wiwin
    Participant
    @wiwin

hi all,

regarding rental property damaged, i also have a case of rental property damaged last year at overseas. I have 3 br house rent to tenant. By the end of the lease, i just found out the ceilings are leaking and the tiles also damaged. Not only that, the tenant also drilled the wall and make a hole to put antenna tv cable inside the house.  The tenant is not willing to pay the damaged and argued the leaking ceilings and the damaged tiles caused by earth quake or house structural problems and the last ones ( the holes ) is unavoidable happened since she need it. I instructs my agents to not refund the bonds and used it to repair the house. However the cost is 5 times from the bonds. Notes: i rent it monthly so the damaged cost me 5 months of rent.

Next year, I am planning to get another property, and  i am definitely will have a mortgage on it. I only concern if that situation happen again, i am afraid  that i couldn't make a cash flow positif on that property. How can i prevent the same case happens again ? Who should pay for the leaking that occurs during the rental ?  

Wiwin

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Get Landlord insurance as a MUST. My policy costs less than one weeks rent and can cover up to 12 months rent if more than AU$1,000 of damage is deliberately caused.
    As for the damaged tiles etc, the tenants would be liable as they [should] have a legal obligation written into the contract to contact the agent or the owner [within 24 hours] of any damages or repairs needed [no matter how casused] ie: a leaking water tap due to worn washers where the tenant does not report the leak which causes damages over time.
    Your contract should also state that ALL alterations MUST have written approval of the owner. ie: drilling holes for TV and picture frames etc.
    I would also claim against the agent as they are responsible for picking these things up during the [3 monthly] property inspections.

Wiwin
    Participant
    @wiwin

Thanks Colin…
    your answer clears up my doubt.
    I will review my contract agreement and add up some details. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.