All Topics / Overseas Deals / Detroit, Michigan …..I need help please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of den1251den1251
    @den1251

I'm thinking about investing in a property at Detroit, however i'm concern about the decrease of population .For those who have already invested at Detriot, What made you decided to invest in that area? What would be the positive and negative side of investing in that area? Why do you think people would want to live there?

Cheers

Dennis

Profile photo of HighIncomePropertyHighIncomeProperty
    @highincomeproperty

Hi Dennis,

That's a valid question, and I think you'll get as many different opinions on here as you will find number of investors…

Personally (as well as us as a firm) I like it, IF you are able to buy the right property in the right area, and make use of the generous Section 8 rental program.

Detroit really isn't all it's made out to be – it has a lot of very bad areas (like most major US cities) and the loss of population is certainly happening, although not all of them leave the metro area – they leave the City of Detroit, but might relocate to the more attractive suburbs. I wouldn't buy real estate (as a general rule) in the downtown area, and also some sections of the fringes of the city. However, many of the suburbs are great, and make for fantastic cash flow properties.

The Section 8 program, as earlier mentioned, pays better in Michigan (and has longer waiting lists) than anywhere else in the country, and we put relatively large number of investors into our properties there, and management is also of a better quality there than in other parts of the country, as many of the managers are used to working with out of state investors.

As for value, yes that is a concern in Detroit, but you will find that all across the Midwestern states, as well as many of the cheaper properties in places like Atlanta, Memphis, and even Florida. Taxes are also very high in Michigan, and must be taken into account. All taxes have to be paid one year in advance now, which will add a bit to the amount of funds you need to bring to be able to close.

However, you should also be aware that the State of Michigan is actively trying to attract "new" businesses (not just manufacturing) so house prices MAY NOT fall much further, if at all, as there are still a lot of very good areas of metro Detroit where you can invest – it's literally like a different world from what you might have seen and heard.
    Feel free to get in touch – think I better now mention more about our business here, or the moderators will delete it!

[email protected]

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

Dennis,

Let me try to help you the best that I can (since I live in the Detroit area and invest there).

~~~I’m thinking about investing in a property at Detroit, however i’m concern about the decrease of population.
    A lot of what you read in the media does not directly apply to the rental market. The rental market in Detroit and SE Mich suburbs is great right now, there are a lot of people who cannot get mortgages so they become renters.

~~~For those who have already invested at Detriot, What made you decided to invest in that area?
    I decided to invest in the area because everything is on sale, I know the areas, and the # made financial sense to me.

~~~What would be the positive and negative side of investing in that area?
    Positives are that there is an extremely low entry cost for the high rents that the right properties will yield. There is no where else in the country that you can make equal returns. The downside is that most likely the properties will not appreciate as fast as other area or it will take a longer time.

Why do you think people would want to live there?

At the end of the day there are still a lot of people living in Detroit and SE Michigan. It will never turn into a ghost town. I do not put much stock into any articles or media blurbs – but here is a recent one on Detroit’s business future.

http://blogs.forbes.com/joannmuller/2011/06/29/detroits-fix-it-men-in-their-own-words/

Best of luck to you Dennis!

-Dan

Profile photo of den1251den1251
    @den1251

Thanks you HighIncomeproperty and Dan for sharing your experience and knowledge. Both of you have  given me a different perspective of Detriot.I will continue to do my research on the future of Detroit as it does look like Governor Rick Snyder is focusing on reforming Detroit.

I appreciate all your help

Regards
    Dennis

@detroitdan9

Dennis,

No problem! Keep us updated on your progress in Detroit. Did you pass on the property?

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

The south east is the New detroit , just check it out, all the auto manufactorers are or have moved south. No big union problems.

Largest Nissan plant in the world = Jackson MS —Largest Toyota plant under construction between Memphis and Tuepelo MS home of Elvis and thats saying something, I personally have visted both sites. the Toyota site is something to behold at least 5 miles by 5 miles under construction, Out in the middles of no where but it will create thousands of Jobs.

Alabama and GA have seen there share as well as the Carolina's. 

Upper mid west may attrack some new bizznesses but it won't be auto motive.

Detroit has over 50k houses that could be bull dozed under right now. Be very very careful in Mich. Ohio upper IND Like Fort Wayne. there is NO capital Growth there in the foreseable century in my mind. and has not had any since the 60's.

No one knows were the best places to invest are. However those rust belt towns are certainly ones to be very careful with.

If you can get good clean neighborhoods and want your 5 to 10% NET return year in year out they will do that.

Any one preaching 15 to 20% Net returns for year in year out is Puffing big time. You can do that if you buy at the price the folks that are selling you the properties buy at. But by the time the AU gets it the mark ups are 30 to 50% over true cost so there is not near the income potential and certianly no Capital potential.

Its going to take those that dive in to these markets thinking they are going to get this huge return  and then loose their money to figure that out

JLH

@detroitdan9

Jay –

15-20% in SE Michigan is pretty close to average. No puffing here LOL.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

You may want to look at established businesses in Detroit that have been buying and selling property during this downturn and know everything there is to know about the city with regard to property returns.

An  investing strategy in Detroit i have been involved with is Rent To Buy as we call it. There I think it's called land contracts. You purchase the property for x amount – say $30k. A retail buyer ( on a waiting list) then pays you $50k for it using a deposit of x amount – say $10k, reducing your exposure to $25k. They then take over all outgoings, (maybe except insurance – you might want to ensure you have a property safe while the deed is in your name). They also agree to pay you rent or vendor finance payments, whatever you want to call it of x amount. Let's say $800per mth for the next 24, 36, 48 months, whatever you negotiate. At the end of the term they either own the house or pay you a balloon payment after renegotiating with a bank or lending institution.

For $100k you could control 4 properties with no outgoings, no management problems, no vacancies. The local Detroit company handles all the contracts, finds the buyer and collects the monthly income. If they, the retail buyer defaults, then the vendor finance option reverts to a rental contract and they can be evicted in 45 days ( or less). You then sell the option again and get another $10k deposit reducing your initial $25k exposure down to $15k

It's actually better for you as an investor if the retail buyer defaults.

Ian

http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Humour

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    sapphire101 wrote:
    You may want to look at established businesses in Detroit that have been buying and selling property during this downturn and know everything there is to know about the city with regard to property returns.

An  investing strategy in Detroit i have been involved with is Rent To Buy as we call it. There I think it's called land contracts. You purchase the property for x amount – say $30k. A retail buyer ( on a waiting list) then pays you $50k for it using a deposit of x amount – say $10k, reducing your exposure to $25k. They then take over all outgoings, (maybe except insurance – you might want to ensure you have a property safe while the deed is in your name). They also agree to pay you rent or vendor finance payments, whatever you want to call it of x amount. Let's say $800per mth for the next 24, 36, 48 months, whatever you negotiate. At the end of the term they either own the house or pay you a balloon payment after renegotiating with a bank or lending institution.

Ah the old lease to own game with the "I hope they quit paying mantra"  I think for long term holds these can be good in general however I have done at least 50 of these over the years and can count on one hand and 2 fingers those who actually could buy.

but they by and large make good tenants. And 10k down I think is puffing most people with 10 k will buy outright not just lease, On reason is so many landlords have scammed and stolen money from Lessors its an epidemic.

Seller gets the 10k down renter pays 800 a month, land lord defaults it takes a year or more for mortgage company to figure it out and foreclose Landlord never makes payments pockets the 800 a month never pays tax's etc. gets the down payment they end up making 20 to 30k , the poor lessee gets a notice their house is going to foreclosure and they get booted after its done and loose everything.

YOu may ask who would do this, Answer many many landlords. That is why in deeds of trust or Mortgages their is an assignment of rents clause. And why the lessor if they go to an attorney will record the lease.

Now if your the seller and they record the lease, its not so easy to get ride of them you need to do a full foreclosure which in Michigan is a pain and 1 year and costly,

most of the guys i know in this bizz do what we call sweat equity they do these lease options and let them move into a house pre rehab for 1k down and really low payments. And some of the tenants actually fix them up some just live in them.

but the reality is 60 to 90% default over a 5 year period.

Hope that sheds some light on the lease to own program

sapphire101 wrote:
    For $100k you could control 4 properties with no outgoings, no management problems, no vacancies. The local Detroit company handles all the contracts, finds the buyer and collects the monthly income. If they, the retail buyer defaults, then the vendor finance option reverts to a rental contract and they can be evicted in 45 days ( or less). You then sell the option again and get another $10k deposit reducing your initial $25k exposure down to $15k

It's actually better for you as an investor if the retail buyer defaults.

Ian

http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Humour

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    DetroitDan9 wrote:
    Jay – 15-20% in SE Michigan is pretty close to average. No puffing here LOL.

Dan,

send over your sample proforma lets see what constitues 15%. I am very conservative on my numbers in the detroit market I would use 50 to 60% of gross for expenses. One being cold weather 2 for vacancy. and the oft chance i get stuck with a water bill ( which has happened to me to the tune of 4k) and of course properties tax's can and are a real huge burden there Not to mention turning the houses over every year to 2 years max. We all now how transient these tenants are.. Just like texas. I had a con call today with an investor that owned 30 houses in texas and he could not wait to get ride of them the property tax's ate him alive and he never made a dime in texas.

@detroitdan9

Shoot me an email and I will send you an example. Cold weather is not a factor for vacancy – it is standard up here. Not sure how you factor that into it.

Also being stuck with a water bill means you probably made a bad purchase or placed a bad tenant, either of which is not a reflection of Detroit, but whoever was running your property.

It sounds like you are just trying to push your product over Detroit, which is fine – but just make sure you are informed when you make such statements, instead of blindly slamming the City of Detroit.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    DetroitDan9 wrote:
    Shoot me an email and I will send you an example. Cold weather is not a factor for vacancy – it is standard up here. Not sure how you factor that into it. Also being stuck with a water bill means you probably made a bad purchase or placed a bad tenant, either of which is not a reflection of Detroit, but whoever was running your property. It sounds like you are just trying to push your product over Detroit, which is fine – but just make sure you are informed when you make such statements, instead of blindly slamming the City of Detroit.

Just real world experiences after doing some 250 loans in Detroit and foreclosing on 8 or 10 properties and ending up owning them, As a lender we definitely get the worse end of the stick when borrower walks. We got out of most of ours because we stopped lending there in 07. Before the big melt down and the credit crisis.

I think the stats stand on their own about Detroit there is huge negative population growth, unemployment, of which a good section of the unemployment are those that are terminally unemployed which does skew the numbers up ward.

In its day I liked it enough to do hundreds of loans so there was a day that we enjoyed it, that day has passed, as well as most big inner cities, Same thing with Chicago, Pittsburg, Philly, Fort Wayne, Cleveland.

The outlying suburbs are, as you say more stable and there is I am sure decent returns. Just hard pressed to see how your going to have price's come up substantially unless the Aussies or Brits create a shortage and drive up prices. Because it sure is not going to happen from US investors. US investor's still go into Detroit only for the price point. buying houses for 1 to  5k.
    and trying to keep them rented and repaired. their price point it so low they risk the other factors, and if you get a bunch of them like you probably have you make a business out of it.

My point is that it can be very iffy for a out of state or foreign investor to Make ANY purchase in the US, and only have 1 or 2 properties. Even in good areas or areas we think are good there is going to be management issues.

And because these houses by and large are REO and usually vacant when they are purchased, Folks are buying these all on proforma financial data prepared by the person who is trying to sell it and is trying to make as much profit on the front end as possible, hey thats capitalizm and the american way. 

When ever I buy or sell Plex's for instance and those are almost always to experinced investors, people tend to buy single family then move up to multi. First thing they request is 2 years of tax returns and P and L's with actual expenses. And then run the numbers to figure out a cap rate that they are comfortable with then fashion there offer to purchase accordingly.

Whats happening here in the single family Niche is investors are buying properties that have no historical data as to that specfic property. so there is no way to know for certain what you can expect in vacancy factor and on going Maintance.

My comments about cold weather are that houses by and large will cost you more to maintain in a cold weather environment.
    Also as such one needs to be careful what they buy if a house is poorly insutlated and has abnormally high UTL bills the tenants will not stay long. Thats why I would not buy a rental in cold weather area that is much bigger than 1500 sq ft. You buy a 2k sq ft home or bigger sounds great but expensive!!! to heat and cool. And tenants are on fixed budgets by and large so those are little things one needs to be aware of.

@detroitdan9

Jay,

You bring up some valid points but I am still a little confused on the cold weather point.

On all of my rentals, I do not pay the heating or water bills, the tenant is responsible for them. Do you do your rentals otherwise? This allows me to have a fixed cost for each rental, and makes the tenant aware of how much energy they are using.

Dan

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Morning Dan hope your having a good fall, My 49ers snuck one out there on your lions, Been a long time since we both had teams to cheer for.

No I do not pay utilities. My experince has been if houses are too large and your dealing with tenants on a budget ( which most are) the price to heat or cool the house is an issue.

Therefore the target sq ft size of rental for me is 1200 to 1500 sq ft… We like 4bds when we can get them. However I would not buy a really large 2500 sq foot or bigger home for rental just because its a good deal, More expensive in all facets to own and operate and your not going to get that much more in rent to make up for it again is my experince in Detroit Chicago and Indy.

Suh  is from Portland Ore were I live by the by he is a nasty dude, us Oregonians by and large are laid back earthy types.
    Tag line for Portland is:   Keep Portland Weird         thats the prodominate bumper sticker.

Profile photo of ToddBrittinghamToddBrittingham
    @toddbrittingham

I think I can lend some help to this conversation as well. Like Dan I also live in Michigan and I am investing Michigan for the same reason Dan stated…everything is on sale. You need to know the right areas to be investing in because like every city there are certainly bad areas. However, if you know what you’re doing now is a phenomenal time to be buying property in Michigan.

I agree with Dan in that the typical returns are on the order of 15% – 20%, and the main reason for this is because rents have stayed constant while values have fallen approximately 50%. If you look at indices like the Case-Shiller Home Price Index (see link below), you will find that Detroit is by far the lowest priced region of the 20 regions tracked by the index. There are a couple reasons for this. Detroit was hit with the foreclosure crisis just like the rest of the US, but on top of that Detroit’s auto industry collapsed. With these two events happening simultaneously prices were driven down severely. This all happened in the 2006-2009 time frame. Since then, prices have stabilized, and the Detroit auto industry has restructured resulting in profits by all three automakers for more than a year now. We’re actually starting to see reports that Michigan is one of the fastest growing economies in the US behind North Dakota (see link to Bloomberg story below).

So, given this, it is my opinion that Michigan is an excellent market to be investing in. Prices are low, rents are high, and there is a great opportunity for appreciation. I’ve helped a number of Australians with their investments here in Michigan, and I’d be happy to lend assistance to others. To me, the key for Australians to do well is to have the right team on the ground to help you purchase properties in the right areas, set them up correctly and manage them right.

It is definitely an exciting time to be an investor!

Link to Case Shiller Home Price Index: http://www.standardandpoors.com/indices/sp-case-shiller-home-price-indices/en/us/?indexId=spusa-cashpidff–p-us—-

Link to Boomberg Report on Michigan Economy: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-02/michigan-surpassing-48-states-shows-autos-drive-u-s-recovery.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.