All Topics / Help Needed! / Advise needed on Property Manger

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of sydey99sydey99
    Participant
    @sydey99

Last year we have bought a property in Greenacres in Adelaide, SA. It was sold through Century 21(C21) and currently C21 are managing the property. Last month(May 2011) Tenant’s moved out and from last 3 weeks property is vacant. Both myself and Agent advertised property for Rent on separate websites(Gumtree and REA). In the last 3 weeks I have received over 25 emails regarding the property and they all just through my private listing in the Gumtree. I have forwarded details of the Agent to the prospective tenants but so far Agent is not able to secure 1 Application. Property is nicely cleaned and Painted after the tenant’s moved out. So, there are no issues with the property.

Last week(June 1st 2011) I have received an application from the agent saying a family funded by centerlink are willing to take the property, if I accept the application. I have replied the Agent with accepting the application on the same day. Following day of the acceptance of application, I have received one more application through gumtree and both the applicant’s are working. I have requested agent to consider this application on 3rd June 2011 and agent replied saying i have already accepted the application and New Tenants are in the process of moving to the property on Monday 6th June 2011. Based on the agent reply, I have rejected the 2nd application.

Agent Sent me an email on 7th June 2011, saying tenant has moved in to the property but yesterday on 9th June 2011 Agent sent me an email “Unfortunately the tenant we had lined up for your property has fallen through, due to the tenants wife not liking the property”

I am just confused and not sure what to talk with the agent, please throw some light to me what to do with the agent

Questions to the experts:
    1. What should be my action when Agent confirmed tenant has moved in to the property on june 7th but on 9th June she has mentioned that they are not willing to move in
    2. Though we have high response through gumtree and people turned to property inspection, why are we not able to secure the tenants

Sorry if similar question has been raised in the past.

Thanks

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Sydey99

Oh dear, you got yourself in a bit of a pickle with this! Never mind, just learn from it.

Firstly, it looks like the agent made a mistake. They are only human, remember.  However this is a very basic cock-up that a good agent should not make.  A tenant can only be "moving in" once a lease is signed (i.e. they are committed) and keys handed out.  Do you think the agent is any good? How have they performed for you in the past?

Equally you made a mistake, in my opinion, by advertising the property thru Gumtree when you're paying the agent to manage it.
    Two parallel processes only lend themselves to confusion and error.  Do you not trust the agent to do their job? Personally I wouldn't have looked at the application from the working couple, because once an application is accepted, the property is off the market, or else you're just messing everyone around.

So in regard to your second point, what did the agent say re why no tenants? Was the property marketed before the last tenants moved out? How many applications have they received? What reasons were there for rejecting any applications? Surely as a landlord you know there are many reasons why tenants might not get rental approval, working is not the only requirement.

My advice would be either accept that your agent is ok, and this mistake is a one off, and talk to them about waiving your fees this time, or look into ending your agreement with that agency and finding another who is more competent

Whichever agent you use going forward, work with them, and manage them (and the process) more closely.

Good luck!

Profile photo of sydey99sydey99
    Participant
    @sydey99

swampy30 thanks for the Advise

Firstly, it looks like the agent made a mistake. They are only human, remember.
    Agree with this point
    However this is a very basic cock-up that a good agent should not make.
    Agree with this point

A tenant can only be “moving in” once a lease is signed (i.e. they are committed) and keys handed out.
    Agent confirmed through an email saying they moved in, so not sure the lease has been signed , Keys has been handed over

Do you think the agent is any good? How have they performed for you in the past?
    Since we bought the property last year and tenants are already in place, really can’t comment on them because all they are doing is collecting the rent and depositing in to our account.

Equally you made a mistake, in my opinion, by advertising the property thru Gumtree when you’re paying the agent to manage it.
    Reason for giving an ad on gumtree is to market property quickly and keep it occupied ASAP.

Two parallel processes only lend themselves to confusion and error. Do you not trust the agent to do their job?
    Since they are agents, thought they are not worried about finding the Tenant’s quickly as we do, so i started putting the ad on the gumtree

Personally I wouldn’t have looked at the application from the working couple, because once an application is accepted, the property is off the market, or else you’re just messing everyone around.
    I was not sure with the 1st application was signed the lease, so i sent the 2nd application to the agent to consider if they have not signed.

So in regard to your second point, what did the agent say re why no tenants? Was the property marketed before the last tenants moved out? How many applications have they received?
    Property was advertised before 2 weeks of last tenant’s moved out but since last tenant’s has damaged the property. It required good cleaning and a coat of internal paint to remove all the bad smell.

What reasons were there for rejecting any applications?
    So far we just reviewed 2 applications and they have been withdrawn for personal reasons.

Surely as a landlord you know there are many reasons why tenants might not get rental approval, working is not the only requirement.
    My advice would be either accept that your agent is ok, and this mistake is a one off, and talk to them about waiving your fees this time, or look into ending your agreement with that agency and finding another who is more competent
    Whichever agent you use going forward, work with them, and manage them (and the process) more closely.
    Good luck!
    Will talk to Agent about the above options.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Sounds like your agent is telling you porkies. He told you they moved in so he wouldn’t have to bother with the people you were keen to give the property too. Unfortunately for the manager, the centrelink couple decided against moving in – leaving him in this now awkward situation. Have you considered self-managing yourself?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @sydey99

Hi Jamie,

Unfortunately this property is in Adelaide and i live in Sydney/

I manage my property in Sydney which was never been vacant for more then 2 days.

Can i terminate the agent contract once they find the new tenant’s or will there be any legal implications?

Thanks and Regards
    Raj

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

no issues at all – you usually give 30 days notice

Participant
    @sydey99

Hi Scott,

Can I request the agent to wave of my 2 weeks letting fee because of their fault I have missed other prospective tenant’s last week?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

you could probably come to some arrangement if you express how frustrated you are with the agent & you might walk.

Participant
    @sydey99
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.