All Topics / Help Needed! / At a loss, need direction.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of kasdkasd
    @kasd

Hi all, There is a bit of a story here & it’s a long one but I feel that I need to lay it out so that I can get the best advice possible.
    I’ll put it in point form so that you don’t nod off by the 2nd paragraph.

* 32 year old married with 2 dependants.
    * have my own company that turns over around 110-120k per year but my wife & I only earn around “45k”, looking to expand with more private supply & install projects.
    *Single income but my wife does earn a little on the side from a home based business.
    * No bad debt really, just one car to pay off but in the company.
    * PPOR in the Hills district of Sydney of which we have had for 9 months. See link for details https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/help-needed
    * purchased for 520k with the deposit taken on my parents mortgage.
    * I have put about 20k into it over the last 6 or so months to get it to a decent living standard but I would say I would need another 20k or so to make it salable & around another 6 months to Finnish it off (doing it all myself after hours to save on labour costs)

A big part of the story is that we had a house in Kellyville which we purchased 10 years ago for 299k & sold 2 years ago for 500k. The main reason for selling was that the company I was working for (brothers) was not paying with any regularity & the was no from of budget. Things were very tough & unfortunately the old credit rating took a beating & I thought rather than lose the lot we sold & got rid of a whole bunch of bad debts. A couple of months ago I finally decided to leave the “company” & now get paid on a weekly basis.

Anyway, I have always been interested on property investment & feel that soon I may be able to take it on.
    So my question to you all is what would be my best move to attain my 1st IP? Do I sit tight & build equity in my PPOR, build a little shack the back yard & gain some extra cash (see link above), a cash positive property at the lower end of the market to boost up my creds should I see my bank to see what my options are as far as funds go, maybe a quick buy, Reno, sell.

Thanks in advance
    To be honest I am at a total loss but really want to get some sort of plan in place so that I can move when the time is right

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

hint #1 don’t sell unless you have to. Look @ alternatives, Is it possible to move out of the ppor & use it as an ip? You’ll either rent elsewhere or move in with parents. Buying & selling exposes you to sales commissions, marketing & stamp duty costs.

Hint #2 convert your loan to interest only, to save a few $ on repayments

Profile photo of kasdkasd
    @kasd

Thanks Scott, I have been with the olds for the last two years! I would be OK with hanging out but not sure if my wife would be cool with it + my parents are looking at down sizing so I suppose either way I will need to make a move.
    As for renting my place out & renting elsewhere, how does it benefit me? Is it mainly come tax time that I will see the fruits of it? Does that mean that I would also be able to claim depreciation on the works that have been done?

Thanks again :)

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

1 by renting elsewhere & renting your place, interest, rates, maintainence etc become tax deductions not dead money. Renting elsewhere allows you to live in a better place than yours.

You might look at renting the inlaw’s place or buying it at a discount.

Profile photo of kasdkasd
    @kasd

Thanks again Scott, forgot to mention that our loan is on an interest only set up so that’s a start.
    What you have said about renting our house & going elsewhere to rent really makes sense to me at present & has made me totally re assess the way we have approached our renovation. Just out of interest should I look at building up my taxable income for future loans?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.