All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Council Housing Areas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Joanna - New InvestorJoanna – B
    Participant
    @joanna-new-investor

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and would be so grateful for your advice.

I have recently invested in my first property and am already looking into new areas to invest.

I have identified an area about 30km North of Adelaide, it is a council housing area (built in the 1960's) however the area is currently undergoing development with new provision of schools, shopping centers and a an expressway which would make the commute to Adelaide quicker and reduce traffic congestion in the area.

Property is very cheap, however much (from what I can see from my research) is still council estates, and therefore not an entirely desirable place to live. (Possible risk with tennants as well?).

Yields are between 5.5 – 6.5% and I would hope that once all the development is complete that the area will improve, and property value would increase especially given the proximity to a capital city. The Government is expecting the population of the area to double by 2022.

My question is, is it worthwhile investing now – if I can afford to sit on it for 5 – 10 years in the hope of Capital Growth, or is it better to avoid areas like this. The risk is that in 10 years the area is still undesirable and I haven't made a significant return on my investment.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts and advice.

Kind regards,

Joanna

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Joanna

Welcome to the forum.

You’ll probably find that investors who purchased within the area 5 to 10 years ago have experienced decent capital growth during this time (and Elizabeth, etc would have been deemed undesirable back then as well).

There are ways to mitigate risks in these areas. A good property manager and landlord insurance should give you some peace of mind. My understanding is that some areas (within this location) are better than others – so it might be best to scope the place out in person (if possible).

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Joanna - New InvestorJoanna – B
    Participant
    @joanna-new-investor

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I am based in Dubai and am completely unfamiliar with South Australia. However, I would welcome anyone's opinions or advice on more desirable locations within the City of Playford.

Kind regards,

Jo

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yep, that’s quite a hike from Adelaide.

Check out this recent thread – North Adelaide was mentioned by Anthony (SA is his stomping ground) – https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/creative-investing/4336394?highlight=playford#comment-235466

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Joanna - New InvestorJoanna – B
    Participant
    @joanna-new-investor

Thanks Jamie,

Interesting read. I'll continue my research and keep the area on my radar for now.

Thanks for your time.

Jo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.