All Topics / Finance / Obtaining Finance For A Business?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of SashSash
    @sash

Hi Guys,

I'm 22, have a great paying job, 2 props + development waiting on permits. I still though need to create further cashflow to propel my towards my goals at a quicker rate. I was looking at business' for sale today as a work colleague planted a few ideas in my mind. It seems that you can achieve superior returns from buying business in any price categories (I was looking under $300K). Most of the business would be paid off in the first couple of years with the returns eg. Business for $260k returning $13k p/w gross.

What I want to know is what is required do land a business loan? What sort of deposit is required? I know a bank will need security normally a property etc. What else is needed though?

If you can add another $150k profit to your income after a few years, think of how many more properties and loans you could service!!! If anyone can provide any further info it would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Sash.

Want it. Own it. Enjoy it. Achieve it.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Commercial lending is very similar to residential lending, with only a few pitt falls to avoid + a few tricks to execute.
    In fact, a few lenders uses the SAME form or similar form for the commercial and residential lending.

Main differences: Points the lender will look at;

1. Rate is higher – starts around 8.5% variable ( not intro)
    2. Rental income is accepted at a certain % and it’s case by case …depending on the business your buying.
    – example-
    – Rental income from a shop front ( currently a bakery) – will take around 70% of rental
    – Rental income from a Office ( currently rented to a accountant) located in CBD – wil take up to 90% of rental
    – Empty shop front- will take 30% of potential rental

The trick here is HOW you PRESENT the loan, very important.

3. The security on offer; if your willing to use a residential property as 2nd security then rate would drop close to residential rate ( 7.15-7.8%)

4. Lease term- How many more years are left on the lease and what sort of lease is it.

5. Zoning – what uses does this property have?? can it be a car-workshop etc…
    Normally Mixed zones are the simplest to approve.

6. Experiences. Depending how big the loan and deal is…the bank may only lend if your have experience or some sort of banking ( strong financial) for commercial deals. – But in your case, since the loan is under $500k this is not going to be a problem.

In term of deposit; LVR must be under 80%, preferred to be under 65% LVR ….UNLESS you have another security for the lender to fall back on; can even be a 2nd mortgage ( ie no need to refinance to them)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @shape

Lastly; some business are hardier to finance then another, here is a quick list from my experience:

—-Easier—-
    Car park
    Aged care
    Child care
    Motel/Hotel ( under 25 units)
    Pubs
    Car work shop
    Offices ( location dependent)
    Taxi plate
    Management right
    Shop front ( zoning conditions)
    Mixed zone
    Boarding house ( can be part of residential as well)
    Muti residential accommodation
    Block of units > 12 ( under 12 it’s still residential lending with some)
    Rent roll
    Pharmacy

—Hardier—-
    Private hospital
    Supermarket
    Private school
    Rural area ( population under 10,000)
    Farm
    Vet
    Brothel
    Clubs
    New business- start up ( depending on exp)
    Shopping center

That’s all i can think of for now.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of SashSash
    @sash

Hi Michael,,

Thanks for all your helpful information! In summary to your comments, it sounds like I should be ok with applying for finance? If the income can pay for all expenses without any $ coming from my pocket, surely the banks would be cool!!

What would be the best way to go about a business loan- use my broker? Contact a bank manager? Can you suggest any lenders that would be easier than others?

Many thanks again!

Sash

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Sash

Just as an indicator that there may be another way to secure the business your interested in, two friends of mine recently bought two businesses in Qld with vendor finance.  One bought a nursery, the other bought a cafe.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Participant
    @shape
    Sash wrote:
    Hi Michael,,

Thanks for all your helpful information! In summary to your comments, it sounds like I should be ok with applying for finance? If the income can pay for all expenses without any $ coming from my pocket, surely the banks would be cool!!

What would be the best way to go about a business loan- use my broker? Contact a bank manager? Can you suggest any lenders that would be easier than others?

Many thanks again!

Sash

If the income from rental supports the loan without your income…then yes the bank is MORE then fine….even if you need to fork out a bit from your pocket it’s also fine (of course depending on your overall financials)

Going to a broker or Bank direct is a personal choose, it depends how confident you are dealing with the bank etc…some commercial brokers do not charge a fee some do ( our firm is free for both commercial and residential).
    Which bank ? not a simple answer ….have to look at your overal financial, credit file + what and where you are buying.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@sash

Paul – Thanks for the insight mate, I briefly thought of that as a concept but thought it would be rare to come by.

Shape – Cheers for the feedback regarding banks perception on income generated to business towards the loan repayments. After further research it still seems that the biggest hurdle will be a deposit. What is the highest % LVR that banks would allow generally? I understand business' are assessed as higher risk than standard residential property however if one can run a business as an absentee owner, the extra cashflow would be significant in servicing debt to fund more property ventures.

Does anyone have any experience in absentee run businesses and what niche's work? My 10 year plan would hopefully run along the lines of overseeing 3-4 small business for cashflow and doing property ventures for capital and long term wealth creation. Even though I have a great income from my current role in excess of $120k pa, I believe I can get a better return from my time further down the track when I gain a little more experience than my 22 years of life.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Sash, you sound like you are one of those young successful big thinker, it is good to hear that.

do you mind if I ask what do you actually do ? because 120k pa is a lot of income for 22 years old….

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

@sash

Hi  Scha –

It's more like $150 but who's counting ;) I work for Telstra Business – Sales & Accounts Manager.

And yes the thinking part does give me trouble when trying to go to sleep at night – mind constantly racing. I find myself consistently thinking up different ways to generate income through property, business, work etc – does your head in at times.

Thanks.

Sash

Want It. Own It. Enjoy It. Achieve It.

Participant
    @shape
    Sash wrote:
    Paul – Thanks for the insight mate, I briefly thought of that as a concept but thought it would be rare to come by.

Shape – Cheers for the feedback regarding banks perception on income generated to business towards the loan repayments. After further research it still seems that the biggest hurdle will be a deposit. What is the highest % LVR that banks would allow generally? I understand business' are assessed as higher risk than standard residential property however if one can run a business as an absentee owner, the extra cashflow would be significant in servicing debt to fund more property ventures.

Does anyone have any experience in absentee run businesses and what niche's work? My 10 year plan would hopefully run along the lines of overseeing 3-4 small business for cashflow and doing property ventures for capital and long term wealth creation. Even though I have a great income from my current role in excess of $120k pa, I believe I can get a better return from my time further down the track when I gain a little more experience than my 22 years of life.

Sorry no straight answer here….Because LVR is based on property type ( see my previous post) + The business income + your overall financial…if you have strong serviceability and good history bank are willing to take a higher risk and go for a higher LVR etc.

I gotten a Shop front in Parramatta Road Glebe approved at 90% LVR ( self insured policy) …another client who bought something similar on the same road was only able to get 75%.

If your serious about commercial, instead of stabbing in the dark – i suggest you obtain a pre-approval so you know how the bank view YOUR proposal and strength.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799
    Sash wrote:
    Hi  Scha -It's more like $150 but who's counting ;) I work for Telstra Business – Sales & Accounts Manager.And yes the thinking part does give me trouble when trying to go to sleep at night – mind constantly racing. I find myself consistently thinking up different ways to generate income through property, business, work etc – does your head in at times.Thanks.SashWant It. Own It. Enjoy It. Achieve It.

Yeah, I did not have a good income job like you. but I work 2 to 3 jobs for many years. I have similar problem as my mind is alway racing, thinking about investment property, and business.  i wish I have good pay check like your though !  currently I own couple of investment properties and also on and off looking for the good business to run( I've never run a business before, but I am very interested to run my own business), so that I don't have to work for someone else, for a fixed salary and  I can reach my ultimate potential. keep positive and inspired : )

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of pinkboypinkboy
    Participant
    @pinkboy
    Sash wrote:

I run my own business, have my own niche market, and use it as my vehicle that drives my personal wealth creation.  I started my company at age 23 from scratch, so you are in the exact same place I was 5 years ago.  It is great to see young people with vision to run business, but I cant stress enough to fully understand what you (may) get yourself into!!!

Running a business has its own inherent degree of risk which should be thoroughly investigated and due dilligence should be carried out, especially buying an already established business. 

From my experiences (and expanding further from Shape's comments), more mainstream businesses (franchises for example) which have modelled training and proven recepies for success are a more safer bet, but generally profits get taxed within the franchise (royalties etc), and thier locations (shopping centres) attract higher lease terms.

Businesses that have staff are more challenging.  Right from management down to the floor sweeper, you will have staff issues until the cows come home.  Big things, small petty <moderator: delete language>, pay advances, bickering, and just pure no common sense to name a few.  The more staff, the more you will put up with if you are the direct port of call for the business.  When you get a great team together, do whatever you can to keep them, as they are more valuable to keep the business ticking over than holding onto dead wood!

Starting a business from scratch is hard, and I liken it to being 'on commission'.  You gotta put the hard yards in, and what you put in is what you get out of it.  Starting from scratch is very rewarding (well it was for me), and watching what you created grow is very satifying!  I had reached my 10year goal at about the 3rd year, so I had to rehash my goals, but there is the new drive to land that big contract, or a highly profitable job that keeps you going and keeping you on edge!

I would say that a business run under absentee management that is highly profitable would have a serious premium price attached to it, again getting back to due dilligence on your behalf, or why would someone be wanting to sell?

pinkboy

Participant
    @shape

Pinkboy it sounds like you havea very interesting mining business- mind sharing what your company does or name etc?
    Feel free to PM if you prefer.

I love your drive for business!!

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@sash

Hi Pinkboy –

THANKYOU! For the kind words of advice, it sure is great to have such impressive information at hand on this site. I definitely have to do my homework! I dont want to bite off more than I can chew. I am going to continue to progress in my current role do a couple  more developments to increase my equity position . Something may come from doing that business wise – I can see an opportunity and have great skilled and talented people/mentors willing to assist me. I will reassess the concept of business for cashflow in a year or so and see if I feel more comfortable.

I appreciate all of your advice.

Sash.

Want It. Own It. Enjoy It. Achieve It.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.