All Topics / Help Needed! / Is there light at the end of the tunnel ?!?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of sudoxesudoxe
    @sudoxe

Hi all,

My name is Matthew and i live in western Sydney i have joined this forum today because i am frustrated and i feel as tho i am failing as a young person in the property market :(  i can’t count how many times i have seen or read stories on young people owning 15-20 properties and being financially free at the age of 25, i have exhausted every avenue i can think of and contacted every bank/lender i can find on google and i just don’t see how this is possible.

My Background info: i am 27, i own an IT franchise with gizmo (gizmo.com.au) i have 3 IP’s, 2 are currently rented at $280 week each (148k owing on each loan) and the other is currently for sale. My property manager is good but isn’t a millionaire himself so can’t really offer me any useful information. I have worked hard and still work 7 days a week but i feel I’m getting nowhere, my parents live in housing commission and don’t own any assets which the bank seems is the greatest way for young people to buy property (use your parents money/equity!). i have an accountant who isn’t great at financial advice and i have given up on trying to find a Business/Property Mentor in western Sydney (to pay someone for the advice that i should work hard, save and invest just seems counterintuitive to me).

I love property and i love IT, i like working but my long term goal is to renovate and sell property as well as have a healthy positive cash flow portfolio. I just don’t understand who finances a 25-30 year old with 2-4million dollars worth of property, i can’t seem to find anyone who can help me with goals like this, i just keep getting told <moderator: delte language> or they are using their parents assets as security, is this true?

I seem to be chasing this dream that one day money will work for me rather than me working for money but I’m starting to believe that it is just a dream and isn’t possible for me. The majority of my finances are with the commonwealth bank and dealing with them sometimes feels like I’m head butting a brick wall. My finances are all over the place and i feel like I’m drowning! Between IP’s, running my own business and SMSF i seem to be learning everything the hard way…. I’m over it…

sorry for the essay but it did feel good getting it all out :)

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Hi Matthew,

First of all, you are not failing at all. To be 27 with three IP's is a great achievement. You are well ahead of 99% of your peers.

First thing I would suggest is be patient. Even for the few who have amassed large holdings, it didn't happen overnight. We often see the end result, that this young person has amassed an amazing amount of property and net wealth, but we don't realise, or we underestimate, how long it has taken to build their portfolio.

My advice is to read whatever you can regarding renovating and selling for profit, as this is what you want to do. Talk to finance brokers re: the availability of finance and how much you can borrow.

Keep working and keep patient, and focused, and you'll get there.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

I would echo what Dan has already said to be your age and own a couple of IP's isnt a bad start but i can understand how frustrating it can be to go to your local Bank and find you have more equity than the manager and really what does he now anyway.

As long as you have the income to support the borrowings there is no reason why you can gear against your existing securities and use these funds as deposit for your new IP purchases.

Structure is the main key to any financing so that you dont feel stick in the mud after a couple of property acqusitions.

Obviously without knowing any numbers it is difficult to comment further but depending on your income / expenditure there is absolutely no reason why you cant move forward.

Admitedly i am a little older than 25 but only arrived in Australia when i was 28 and didnt take me long to get to grips with the market and financing opportunities.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of GiumelliGroupGiumelliGroup
    @giumelligroup

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the forum and chin up! You have achieved a lot for your age and should be very proud of yourself…

Richard & Dan42 have provided some great information but the thing i would like to add is move as far away from CBA as soon as possible!! I used to work there in their mortgage department and they are all about tying peoples portfolios up to benefit themselves not the client. I can only presume they have cross collateralised your properties & business dealings but this can be unwound with a good structure.

If you need an unbelievable accountant please pm me their details as this will be the first step you can make to achieving true financial freedom! I too went down a similar path to yourself at your age (now 34) and it has only been in the past 3.5 years that things are really cracking along nicely in all areas of our lives finances, portfolio and of course business but it took a lot of hard work to get there.

Remember also we have been through one of the toughest financial periods of all time with the GFC which has cause chaos on all fronts especially finance/property markets and don't get me started on what the labor government has done to continuously screw us all over, mind you some of the major banks aren't much better.

If you want some free advise or help with where you are heading, what structure you need or just a general chat i'm more than happy to have a chin wag with you to assist. Don't loose sight of your dreams or hope in what you believe!

Cheers

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Sounds like you are off to a good start but it can be frustrating when you are ready to move forward but feel constricted by others.

Have you looked at Right Group? They have meetings every Tuesday fortnight (tonight) at 7pm at Rydges Parramatta. Cost is only $10. Actually their topic tonight is what you need.

Yes this is a plug but an unbiased one. I am not affiliated with them. Value for money at $10. Get there early to network. Great way to meet likeminded people.
     From their Email-

Itching to get started in property investing, and don't know how to get together a deposit?

Victor Kumar and Steve Waters will share the various strategies in getting together a deposit to either get started or to add to an existing portfolio, strategies that they themselves have implemented, and seen other investors implement to get ahead.

From simple things such as refinancing, to thinking outside the square to come up with a deposit. A must attend for every one.

Where: 116 James Ruse Drive Rosehill (Kingston suite, upstairs to the left)

Date:   Tuesday the 17th May 2011

Profile photo of sudoxesudoxe
    @sudoxe

Dan42- Thanks mate, i will try to be more patient in the future! I think i need to deal with someone in finance that has already done what I’m trying to do.

Richard – Thank you for the kind words.“there is no reason why you can gear against your existing securities and use these funds as deposit for your new IP purchases”  <—- this is what i thought to but apparently every bank/broker i talk to wants me to refinance the properties to “unlock” the equity i don’t see why!! (Also i haven’t been this far yet but I’m guessing if i refinance i would need to pay LMI again which just seems stupid to me).

Trent – Thanks mate ill try to stay positive!
    Do you mean move far away from CBA will all my finances? I have multiple business accounts/SMSF term deposits, Loans (personal and mortgage) Credit cards ect all with CBA! Should i cut all dealings with them?

My CBA business manager called me today and advised me my only choice to separate my personal and business debts was to refinance into a business loan and use my person residential IP’s as security!! I’m guessing this is the cross collateralization you where talking about? 

I’m glad things are going well for you and hopefully i can get in contact and hear some of your stories and adapt them to my situation or help motivate me to continue with my original goals! I really need direction and advice i can trust, currently i find it hard to believe or trust anything anyone is telling me regarding money :(  

Catalyst – cheers i will check that out i only live about 30mins from rosehill (i work 9am-9pm usually so ill have to put aside a tues night!) Is this something you attend or have attended in the past?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I don’t have a whole lot to add (everything’s been covered) but just wanted to mention that if it’s any consolation – I also bang my head against the wall dealing with the same bank (I have a few loans with them). Just switching an offset from one loan to another became quite a feat the other day.

You’re not doing too bad for yourself – you’ve already got a few properties under your belt and time on your side…that’s a lot more than most.

Hang in there.

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Yes. I've been to a few. I go if the topic interests me.

There is no pressure. They will do a blueprint (look at your position and outline where you should go next and how to achieve that) for free. Of course you can use their buyers agent but there's no push or obligation.

They did one for me a few years ago and I just started looking and buying using that strategy.

It's a great way to meet people also. Networking is the way to get ahead. Lots of people pay thousands for networking meetings (mentors).
    http://www.rightpropertygroup.com.au/homepage     Check the website to see what the topic is for next fortnight and see if it is for you.
    Might see you there. Wear a pink hat.    Just kidding.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Matthew,

If you need to be encouraged, talk to me.  Apparently, according to close friends, my life mission is to  Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Kidding aside, if you just want to meet for coffee (a few young people here have met with me) you are welcome.  Don't worry, I don't sell anything – not even a broomstick.  I know, i know, I've said it before.    Honestly, as an old foggy, I probably can share a truth or two.  PM me and tee up a time. 

In closing, you have done well.

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of GiumelliGroupGiumelliGroup
    @giumelligroup

Hi Matt, please see below for responses.

Trent – Thanks mate ill try to stay positive!
    Do you mean move far away from CBA will all my finances? I have multiple business accounts/SMSF term deposits, Loans (personal and mortgage) Credit cards ect all with CBA! Should i cut all dealings with them? I DID AND IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID, HOWEVER I DON'T KNOW YOUR COMPLETE SITUATION SO YOU MAY HAVE TO DO IT IN STAGES AND LEAVE SOMETHINGS WITH THEM FOR THE TIME BEING!

My CBA business manager called me today and advised me my only choice to separate my personal and business debts was to refinance into a business loan and use my person residential IP’s as security!! I’m guessing this is the cross collateralization you where talking about? THAT'S HOW IT ALL BEGINS JUST TIGHTENING THE NOOSE ON CLIENTS! YOU NEED SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP VIA A GOOD ACCOUNTANT, THEY WILL STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

I’m glad things are going well for you and hopefully i can get in contact and hear some of your stories and adapt them to my situation or help motivate me to continue with my original goals! I really need direction and advice i can trust, currently i find it hard to believe or trust anything anyone is telling me regarding money :(  AS PREVIOUSLY STATED MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE A CHAT WHEN YOUR FREE

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Matt,

Man I wish I'd started as early as you have. Congrats you have and are doing really well!. What is missing here is maybe a little more thought outside the square. Forget the banks mate. For the time being it looks like they are definitely not your solution.They are your problem, so we have to look elsewhere for the answers.

What is it you require? Is it more money to buy more property or is it the more time to be able to do deals?

Rather than go into a big expose of options here, why don't you contact me directly at [email protected]

I am in New York right now, but we also can have a quick chat via skype and am happy to talk to you from my experience. I was right where you are now.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Humour.

Profile photo of PositiveMindSetPositiveMindSet
    @positivemindset

Hey Matt,

You’re doing really well! You own your own business and also have 3 IP is a feat when most people at your age are still in denial that they’ve left their university/teenage years behind!

Definitely DO NOT cross collateralise your mortgages….. Even though bank managers and even some seminars will tell you that’s it’s good and saves you on fees like previous posts this is the bank tightening the noose!!!

Took me ages to find a good accountant but have finally done so and he’s got a portfolio of over 160 properties himself so he speaks and advises me from experience himself.

Dealing with the banks is frustrating as most of the employees know a lot about banking and loans but little to nothing about how it applies to property sitting on the customer side of the table!!!

By the way, Jamie M, awesome you switched to an offset. With CBA? I thought they didn’t have a 100% offset and had minimum withdrawals and also transaction fees!!! I have facilities with other banks that are 100% offset and fully transactional. Curtesy of a finance broker who is in property investing too.

I find that there are so many courses and theories and approaches of doing investing. What finally has started to work really well for me is sticking to one mentor. Otherwise I can see it can get really confusing with all these different opinions flying around.

Good luck with this. If you get only one thing from this, it is don’t let some bank schmuck stop you from your goal!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    PositiveMindSet wrote:
    By the way, Jamie M, awesome you switched to an offset. With CBA? I thought they didn’t have a 100% offset and had minimum withdrawals and also transaction fees!!! I have facilities with other banks that are 100% offset and fully transactional. Curtesy of a finance broker who is in property investing too.

Yep, I agree – the old MISA isn’t the best offset in the world but it’s doing the trick at the moment. I basically use it as a savings account.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.