All Topics / Help Needed! / Equity to invest but worried about cash flow

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of bella84bella84
    Participant
    @bella84

Hi,

I'm a first-time reader of this forum and would love your insights. I'm 26 and have always had an interest in property and i'm now researching heavily as to how i can make it work for my situation – my husband and I are planning a family soon but i'd still like to buy and investment property now with a goal of becoming financially free at 40.

Our home is worth $600,000, with around $240,000 in equity. We are still spending money renovating it (restumped, rewired, reroofed and planning an extension in about five-seven years) and are planning on staying here long-term. I'd like to tap into the equity and buy another property, but i don't think we can afford to negatively gear it on one income should i need to stop work for a period – it will be a challenge to manage our primary mortgage on one income (though we have paid extra into it and have a buffer).

Am I silly to be thinking about investing at this point or are there opportunities in positive cash flow or positively geared properties? I've always looked at negatively geared properties as my parents have two (and warn against me doing it at this lifestage) but now i'm wondering if I've been limiting our options….

I'm still educating myself so sorry if this is a very simple way of looking at things – any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Bella

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Certainly never put yourself in a position where you do not feel you will be able to service the ongoing debt however correctly structured you maybe able to have your cake any eat it.

You could look at buying the property as either Tenants in Common or in your husbands sole name so he claims all or the majority of the deductions. Of course not every property is negatively geared and if you look at the cheaper end of the market in order to dip your toe into the water you might find little difference between the net rent and the interest repayments.

Get your mortgage broker to look at options such as prepayment of interest for a year especially if you feel the following year your income may be reduced. Also you might want to thing about splitting up the loan between fixed and variable in order to remove any concerns that interest rates may rise.

I never suggest to clients they cross collateralise the 2 securities so limit the exposure your PPOR has and look to gear against the IP just in case. Flexibility is key and remember the loan should work for you and not your Bank / lender.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of bella84bella84
    Participant
    @bella84

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the welcome and the detailed reply! It's very helpful.

I hadn't considered buying a property as anything other than joint proprietors – tenants in common makes a lot of sense if i'm in a lower tax bracket due to limited income/working part time.

My initial thoughts are that we would use the equity in our PPOR for the deposit (to avoid mortgage insurance) and borrow the rest as an interest only loan (say $200K). I definitely want to minimise the exposure of our home.

The best strategy for us at this point seems like buy and hold, looking for a house in regional VIC with a yield of 7+%. Within 1-2 hours of Melbourne is desirable so that it's easily accessed so we can do renovations to improve the capital growth and yield over time (and be able to claim depreciation on the improvements). Places that spring to mind are Ballarat, Mansfield or Heathcote/Bendigo area. Alternatively we could look at a unit closer to Melbourne, which may mean higher yield but less capital growth.

Lots of food for thought, i need to do some more analysis and crunch numbers!

If anyone else has any thoughts please don't hesitate to comment!

Many thanks.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi bella,

Hard to make further comment without the actual numbers but remember if LMI is charged on the IP loan then it becomes a loan cost and is Tax deductible.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of albertwtalbertwt
    Participant
    @albertwt

Thanks for sharing such a good case study here everyone.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Hi bella84,

It’s good that your thinking and planning for each buy…i see alot of people these days; especially young couples who just buy a whole bunch of IP in a short period of time and get stuck with a massive debt and when the wife gets pregnant instead of celebrating, they are grieving.

My suggestion;
    Release some equity to buy your IP, as a safe buffer try to release enough so you do NOT have to use your own “cash”, so it should pay for the 10- 20% deposit + stamp duty etc…(IMPORTANT- if you do a Equity release, it must be done as a split loan, so the IP part can be tax deducible).

Keep your hard earned “already tax” cash in your PPOR offset account, try to minise the use of your own cash for this IP purchase.
    This strategy allows you to have a “cash” buffer in case you lose your job, the IP becomes vacant or need the money for emergencies etc…
    Also the new IP, set it up as an I/o for the first 5 years.

So in summary:
    1. You gain the IP you want
    2. Still have a cash buffer
    3. All loans are set up with the right structure for the tax part.
    4. Better cash flow

Where you buy, or what you buy is a different story, for a different day :)

Lastly the above loan structure is general advice only, so without knowing your situation and financial numbers, it may not be right for you.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @bella84

Thanks for the additional reponse Richard, and for your advice Michael, it really is immensely helpful! I don’t know that i’ve fully grasped the best way to structure the loans, and speaking to my bank hasn’t made it any clearer (surprise, surprise!)

Michael, you suggest releasing some equity in our PPOR to fund the purchase costs, etc. which sounds good. Our PPOR mortgage is with BankWest (Premium home loan) and as it’s still under the Lite Plus package (structured this way because we had a split loan with half fixed…I won’t tell you what rate was but *ouch*) loan setup fees and refinancing costs are nil. Sound attractive but i expressed that I was very keen to avoid cross collateralisation, but they then proceeded to advise me that the whole investment loan would need to be with them, not just the equity part to finance the purchase costs. Apparently they don’t finance property where another lend also has a hold over it.

Did I get this all wrong and in fact should I position it as just accessing the equity and only using this amount as security against our current home? ie. setting up an interest only loan of $50K which we could leave sitting there until we’re ready to invest? Or would they veto this too?

In this scenario, we’d then see a broker about getting an IO loan for the balance of the purchase costs, which is $200K. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again for your insight.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi bella

Yes you are are on the right track but dont let Bank West tell you they dont do equity loans as i have done dozens of them with BW and never had a problem.

Then use the equity loan as deposit and use a separate lender for the new IP loan.

Drop us an email if you need further assistance and i can advise you further.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Bella

Richards’s absolutely right. The deposit for the house I’m sitting in right now is from Bankwest – the remaining portion is from CBA.

Drop RIchard a line – he’ll sort it out.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

bella84 – It’s untrue what the branch staff is telling you.
    1. BW allows equity release
    2. You are free to take the IP loan with any another lender as you wish, with the above equity release.

The advice you have gotten is a standard response i hear ALL the time. it’s a way to “make the sale” because at the end of the day BW wants that new Business…Only give them the business if they give you a reason to ie are they willing to offer you a competitive overall package compared to the market place and most importantly the right loan structure for you to move forward in the future.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @bella84

Wow thanks for the input everyone! And for putting me on the right track. Much appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.