All Topics / Help Needed! / Sell first home or hold… help please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ribrib
    @rib

Hello All

I have been reading this forum which is very informative and helpful.

We purchased our first property ( 2 BR apartment) in Southbank, Melbourne in 2007 lived for 8 months and than had to move to Sydney for work. Since then the apartment has been rented out as a fully furnished property. Rental is pretty decent with rent almost paying the interest cost the property has also helped me negative gear. The property has almost appreciated by $200K, the mortgage on property in $290K now

Now we are planning to buy something in Sydney close to $640K we have a deposit of $100K and we can also avail a home equity loan of $50K if need be. We plan to initially rent this property but shift in one year time and in the meanwhile sell the Melbourne property and reduce our total mortgage.

My question and dilemma is let us say we decide to continue with our Melbourne property and shift into Sydney property after a year, can we get the Valuation (and from where) done for Capital Gain purposes as on that date and avail the six year (owner occupier) period rather than paying CGT on the whole and convert the property to  investment property.

We earn $200K per year and our pretty conservative family with one kid.

Thanks in advance for your views and help.

Profile photo of ribrib
    @rib

I was hoping to get some advice from the members but not sure no one replied. Something I said!!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi rib

You should organise a valuation on your Melb property now – regardless of whether you sell it in a year or keep it. It would be ideal to have a registered valuer carry it out (perhaps google for one in the local area).

I’m not an accountant but you can only claim one property as your principle place of residency at any one time. Therefore, if you sell the Melb property next year, you’d be liable to pay CGT for the one year it was an IP.

Hope that helps.

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Rib,

In a word "hold."  It seems such a nice property and it would be a shame to sell it. If there is no financial pressure, holding on to it may be the beginning of a property portfolio.

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of HassassinHassassin
    @hassassin

Hold! Southbank is a very nice area. I had a place there too behind the melburnian and now regret selling it (even though i made good money on it!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.