All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying a Property to Reovate & Sub Divide

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ChittasChittas
    Participant
    @chittas

Hello Everybody,

I’m currently looking at a couple of properties that have the Potential to Sub Divide as well as retain the original residence. I would like to Renovate the existing residence and create a Battle axe green titled block behind the renovated property.

My question is when properties are listed as having the potential to sub divide, What would the process be to research the property given my plan to renovate and sub divide? Who should I contact to ensure that the option is possible and that the original residence doesn’t impede on the proposed rear block? Can I do all this research (Contacting Council, Surveyors etc) before putting an offer on the property and If I was to put an offer in on the property, is it common to put a clause in the settlement that it is depending on the subdivision being possible or not?

I hope that makes sense to you all. I’m a newbie when it comes to investment property purchases like this. I do plan on speaking with Agents at a later date, I have just been browsing through Realestate.com and wondered how I should approach this if I was to look at the property and wish to proceed.

Thank you.

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

You would contact council and a surveyor. A surveyor can give you an initial indication and for a small fee a more detailed indication.

You can submit an offer subject to a due diligence clause. This will allow you to secure the property and pull out of the deal should your research show that the property cannot be subdivided.

You have to be aware that until the property is subdivided nothing can be taken for granted. There may be 95% chance it can be done but until l it has been signed off by council it is not 100%

Profile photo of ChittasChittas
    Participant
    @chittas

Hello fredo_4305

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me, I’m still doing my research on Sub-divisions and won’t be jumping in until I’m comfortable with the knowledge I have, This just added to that.

Thanks again.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Most councils will happily give you an opinion on the potential to subdivide any given parcel of land. This my may not be the best opinion, but a reasonably objective opinion none the less.

The rules that govern the subdivision of property are to be found in part in the planning overlays for the area, and these overlays are often best understood by someone who regularly assesses them, like a surveyor or planner.

Density objectives are also affected by issues of proximity to services and amenities like shops and public transport. Any local precedent is also a useful yardstick, although just because the neighbour has done one thing or another, that's no guarantee that you will be able to do the same.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Chittas

I have been looking at doing the same thing. In the Shire of Stirling, for instance, (I think I read elsewhere you reside in WA) one needs 3mts across the driveway if the current building is to be left, whereas if you start from scratch (vacant land) it’s more like 4mts. Google earth is one tool I used to get a quick look at the property and also compared it with what was near. I then contacted the Shire for more information. Also, this site proved to be helpful. http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/Survey+Plan I think these are less expensive routes to follow before calling the surveyor. Hope you find a site! :D

Profile photo of ChittasChittas
    Participant
    @chittas

Hello Christianb & Marie123,
    Thanks for your replies. It’s good to know the process to take when looking at Sub-Dividable properties to see whether they have the potential to make some additional money for you. It’s not my main focus but if a property comes up that has some potential at least I know were to start.

Also Marie, Have you ever had a look at https://www.nearmap.com/welcome-new. It’s a lot more updated than Google maps/Earth. The update roughly every month and instead of a Satellite image they use survey planes to take the image so it’s a lot more detailed. It’s free to join, The only down fall is they don’t have any form of street view.

Cheers

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Along with Nearmap and Google some councils have very good websites which shows maps with zoning and measurement tools etc. Subdividing can be a daunting process but have trust in the experts that you utilise. They are experts for a reason. Half the problem is finding the site which ticks all the boxes.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The councils have great mapping tools, for which they pay a fortune!
    They have the up to date aerials, with boundaries and topographical images.
    So, as Fredo suggests, use this resource wherever you can.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.