All Topics / Overseas Deals / LLC Structuring in the US

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp

Hi there,

If you have purchased several investment properties (IP) in the US or already owned several IPs, I have some questions about structuring your LLC:

Did you structured your IP, say one IP per LLC or you have a range of IPs allocated per LLC (e.g., 5 IPs  per LLC).
    Are you better off with a range of IPs allocated per LLC compare with one IP per LLC.
    Some of the advantages with several IPs per LLC over single IP per LLC (e.g tax management).
    Is it costly to transfer IP from one LLC to another, if so ho much did it cost you.

Appreciate your comments.

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

Hi Leo.
    You need to ask the experts and one of them is a good mate of mine. Feel free to send your questions to [email protected] Jim is an Aussie who helps Aussies with all the legalities if investing in the US of A.

Profile photo of kevtraceykevtracey
    @kevtracey

Hi Leo,

We generally buy a max of 2-3 properties under one LLC, but this has more to do with our multiple investment partners. Every situation is different and complicated and for these reasons I agree with the post above and recommend you seek legal council.

Cheers,
    -Kev

Profile photo of TheFatInvestorTheFatInvestor
    @thefatinvestor

Hi Leo,

Not sure as to what stage of the buying process you are in however I would recommend that you ensure you have the correct structure to suit your individual investment strategy sorted out prior to making any investments… It's money upfront but saves a lot further down the track.

It is suggested you speak with a qualified practioner but ensure you look in to setting up a head LLC (which can be owned by your Australian entity i.e Family Trust) in a tax and asset friendly state (i.e. Wyoming) which you can then have multiple underlying LLC's which may own real estate. When setting up this structure you need to keep in mind asset protection and tax minimisation strategies which will lead to the topic of whether or not you want that head LLC taxed as a C Corporation. It's important you make the correct elections from the beginning.

Cheers

Profile photo of HankieRichHankieRich
    @hankierich

Hi,

What is the benefit of having the head LLC as a C Corporation?  Can anyone help me.  thanks

Profile photo of HighIncomePropertyHighIncomeProperty
    @highincomeproperty

HankieRich,

The only real reason (in my experience, although I'm no accountant) is that a Corporation is "capped" in the amount of tax it pays (whatever the Corp tax rate is in its home state) although the paperwork is a lot heavier, so it usually only makes sense for larger deals, most likely not for just a few properties.

An LLC goes against your personal income tax, and while there are ways to minimise/reduce your taxes, there is no cap as such, other than once you're in the highest tax bracket, that's the highest you will go.

A downside of the Corporation (unless you elect to be taxed as an S-Corp, which I don't think you can as a non-US citizen) is that you first pay corporate taxes on the profits, then you need to pay income tax (personal) on whatever money you take out.

[email protected]

@hankierich
    Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Agree with HighIncomeProperty with regard to company set up. It's also important you have a well set out operating agreement especially if your LLC has multiple members.

In answer to transferring property, not sure you would need to do this unless you purchased in the wrong entity or the county wrote the deed in the wrong name, which they do by the way.

You can transfer property between companies, but you will have to pay the transfer tax for each and other smaller fees. This is worked out differently in each state and sometimes counties, so make sure you have the right information beforehand. It's also based on the tax assessment at the time, not what you may have bought the property for.

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with A Sense Of Humour

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Can I just point out, that if you have set up your LLC in a non-disclosure state, and then want to borrow hard money, you will reacha dead end.
    I have been accepted for a hard money loan (Florida LLC), but had friends knocked back because they have a Wyoming LLC.

@hankierich

Hi Quickchick,

What is the rate of hard money lenders?  What area in Florida are you looking at? I am interested in Florida as well.     

Profile photo of buybelowreplacementcostbuybelowreplacementcost
    Participant
    @buybelowreplacementcost

I recommend one LLC for each property. When it comes to insurance, the llc can not get insurance for personal liability. So when someone falls down on your property, breaks their neck, you are not insured. Your LLC gives you protection but with the assets in the LLC. So if you own several properties with one LLC and on one property you run in trouble you are cought with all other assets.

An S Corporation I believe can not be held by a non US-Resident.. Only C-Corp. So your head company can be an LLC who owns all the other llc's for example

I do investments in Florida and in case you need a lawyer I can recommend a few.

Profile photo of quickchickquickchick
    @quickchick

Hi Hankie Rich,

My education connections were in Florida, so that's where we set up our LLC.
    However we're buying property in Phoenix, with our Florida LLC.

We frequently visit family on the western side of USA so preferred to invest where it's convenient for us.

Question for Jurgen: How much do you pay a year, getting taxes done for many different LLC's?

Profile photo of akgakg
    Participant
    @akg
    TheFatInvestor wrote:
    Hi Leo,

Not sure as to what stage of the buying process you are in however I would recommend that you ensure you have the correct structure to suit your individual investment strategy sorted out prior to making any investments… It's money upfront but saves a lot further down the track.

It is suggested you speak with a qualified practioner but ensure you look in to setting up a head LLC (which can be owned by your Australian entity i.e Family Trust) in a tax and asset friendly state (i.e. Wyoming) which you can then have multiple underlying LLC's which may own real estate. When setting up this structure you need to keep in mind asset protection and tax minimisation strategies which will lead to the topic of whether or not you want that head LLC taxed as a C Corporation. It's important you make the correct elections from the beginning.

Cheers

Hi Fat Investor

I would like to clarify a few points if you could contact me at [email protected]

thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.