All Topics / Help Needed! / Mistake I made… hopefully you can learn from it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi all,

I’ve made mistakes, big ones and small ones, a few to mention…. but I’ll relate one to you. If I tell all of them, you’d never hear the end of it.

The Unit, bow. Yes, a unit at Hunters Hill. I mentioned this to you guys in one of the threads.

Backstory: One year after divorce and just recovering from my seeming bankruptcy, I decided to plunge back into the market. Bad. Bad. Bad. To go back into the market so soon was bad but that’s not the half of it.

Making emotional decisions is BAD. Newbies, don’t invest when you’re depressed or in recovery. DON’T. In hindsight, I was making myself feel better for my failure to hold on to my marriage. Losing three properties through divorce was hard so I looked to compensate it with another. It was also probably true that there was an element of pride in it, “Look what I got.” Silly. Stupid.

Hard truths to swallow but if I mince words, it would be like I never learned from it.

Anyway, in hindsight, it wasn’t just an emotional decision, it was also “mathematically” stupid.

Back then, I was working as a mortgage broker, supporting four kids. Although ex-husband does not provide financial support we have split custody and he really does look after them when they’re with him. God bless him. So, straight away, child support was, and still is, a non-event. This was mutual agreement though, not his fault.

Secondly, mortgage broking means one month you’re rich and the next you’re just about ready to Q at Centrelink. It didn’t get that bad but close.

Thirdly, the property was heamorraging money. Trust me, I’m not exaggerating. It was heamorraging $1,000 a month. The quarterly strata fees were so high that I was paying equal to 14 months repayment.

There was a saving grace though because I always found fantastic tenants. Being Hunters Hill, you only got the cream of society as tenants. One repainted my unit, 3 X coating. Three!!! He was obsessive with perfection. And, believe you me, he ripped up the carpet and laid floorboards. He called me from Ikea and said, “I’m out of here, these floorboards are disgusting.” Went away and bought the most expensive floating floor boards in the market. He said he’s used to a certain lifestyle and must meet that standard. I only paid for the labour.

Anyway, negatively geared it was. I learned the lesson that you can’t eat negative gearing or depreciation. And when the kids wants something besides the basic survival needs- (food, water, housing… thank God for public schools or my kids would have had to consider schooling optional to their survival) you just have to say, “NO.”

Every time I despaired, I’d go for a walk at Hunters Hill. It’s such a beautiful place. I’d come home feeling better but my kids and I can’t eat the views.

Enter panic mode again. But no! Don’t panic. Think. After investigating all options, I found that vendor financing was the ideal solution. In 2006, I went in that direction and found myself making $580 a month, from negative $1,000 pm. So for three years, I was making a little money, instead of bleeding to a slow death.

I’ve had to “sell” for 0 capital gains as GFC hit. So folks, this is the kicker — after the “buyer” bought “refinanced” last year via bank loan, the capital growth sky-rocketted. Soon after RBA dropped the interest rate, the unit went up $110,000.

If you can hold on to your property it will eventually make you money BUT this strategy only works if you have the means to hold on to it. Clearly, negative gearing is, in itself, NOT a strategy. It is a BONUS. Holding to an asset only works if there’s “meat on the bone.” In my case, there were just tendons. :)

I tell you what though, I have no regrets. It was bought from me by a young man who was almost like a son to me. Secondly, by letting go of it, I got to fight another day. Look where I am now. Still standing and carrying on.

So you see, long-term investors make mistakes, too.

Hope this has enlightened someone.

Angel

Profile photo of Tech4uTech4u
    @tech4u

Very touchy and indeed gives a way through to fight for bad times.

I also believe in pay less and no to -ve gearing; there is no point to pay 100$ and get 30$ back from the -ve gearing; of course, in the limit is fine but I will not be getting IP just for -ve gearing if I cannot pay 80% of morgage from rental.

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp

Steve McNight strategy is buy on the bottom of the cycle and sell on the peak of the cycle! A strategy that made him the BEST selling multi millionair property investors and i'm sure it would work for someone else too. Also, don't over stretch yourself financial because when Murphy's law will visit you, you are more than ready and can ride out the storm.

If you have some buffer as for emergency fund, it could have avoided you selling your IP and You could have capitalise on the increased of your equity to buy more IP.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

This is a great story about how you turned a negatively geared property that was eating you alive into a positively geared property. Even though you didn’t make a lot of money it is still a great achievement.

I was wondering, would you mind if I used your story on my blog? My readers have been asking for stories of people who turned bad deals into good deals by being creative.

Shoot me an email if you don’t mind me using your story
    [email protected]

Cheers :)

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca

Great story and contribution as always Angel. Completely agree – Australians are fixated with the negative gearing story – sold to them continuously by banks, mortgage brokers, tax agents etc. Unfortunately the whole point behind negative gearing is that you're making a loss on your investment on purpose so you can take advantage of the tax benefits. This strategy only works if you're a high income earner with a stable job and a high tax bracket.

However, if you're not as fortunate to be in that category, it may not be the best option for you. Given that property prices in most capital cities are so high, many investors will have no choice in which case it's critical to run the numbers to determine whether you can afford to pay for the cash short-fall / loss on your negatively geared property.

Good post Angel.

Jase

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Ryan,

Of course, you have my permission to use this in your blog. The more people become educated, the better.

Hi Jase,

Agree with you. Negative gearing is just a sexy word for “loss.” A loss is a loss by any other name. Yes, the more we can persuade people to be wise with their money, the merrier we will all be.

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Great post buddy!!!

I have never been a fan of -VE ….and this confirms it! – “you can’t eat negative gearing or depreciation” ahahh made me laugh!!!

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Thanks for sharing :) Hope this helps out many others considering their options after a separation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.