All Topics / Overseas Deals / Detroit, Michigan is SHRINKING! Beware

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of mjcantrellmjcantrell
    @mjcantrell

Just came across this about Detroit, Michigan  If you are an investor looking for homes in Detroit you had better take a look at this link,  https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffinance.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fdaily-ticker%2Fincrebile-shrinking-city-detroit-becoming-ghost-town-20110323-095202-383.html&h=88865  

Profile photo of HighIncomePropertyHighIncomeProperty
    @highincomeproperty

While that is true – I wouldn’t necessarily give up on Detroit just yet. For some investors, it is a great fit.
    I fully agree that there is no capital growth in Detroit – even if the auto makers come back, growth will be in the wealthy suburbs in Oakland County, just north of Detroit, as that is where all/most of the executives and key workers would like to live.

However, there are still some pockets in Detroit that are doing really well, and also don’t forget that the Section 8 program in Detroit is more generous than elsewhere in the country, and due to the job situation, there are more people waiting for a home using this program than anywhere else in the nation.

Granted, your insurance premium will be higher than anywhere else, but your income will be good – if you’re looking for capital growth or a “trophy” home, I can point you to 49 other states, but if you’re looking for income, then Detroit might be the place.

[email protected]

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

I think the real issue with Detroit is you have to assume that any investment you place into Detroit is an absolute gamble. I have got a series of properties there, and they are truly remunerative. But the first thing I did with all of them is pay them off in full. Granted it was easy because they were cheap to start with. But I'm just not up for the exposure to risk that exists in Detroit. There are too many people leaving at a consistantly high rate for me to feel any investment in Detroit remains secure. I prefer to have it as an income earner without any debt residing on it. That way .. for me the only way is either .. out .. or up.

@highincomeproperty

Absolutely agree with previous poster, as far as that any funds you invest into Detroit should be all cash deals. However, I’m also of the opinion that you should employ this strategy pretty much nationwide, unless you are really buying at the higher end of the market, at which point you might wish to leverage.
    We still really do not know where prices are headed, be that in Michigan, Florida, New York or any other state, so investing without leverage, while giving yourself an option to re-finance later on, is the best way to look at it in my opinion.
    While not perfect, the Section 8 program provides a good income from the US Government, and in my opinion, it is as safe, if not safer, that private rentals in other parts of the country.

[email protected]

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

It is interesting to read the wide range of perspectives of Detroit on this board. :)

The one thing that is prominent of Detroit is the negative media coverage. Detroit is always getting hammered in the national news, that is for certain.

As an investor in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs I can say it is not as bad as the media portrays. It is definitely not an easy market to navigate but it is one that is highly profitable if you know what you are doing.

One great comment from a previous post, states that Detroit will most likely not show capital gains, I agree to an extent. However, if you get in at the right price, and break even with rent after 1-2 years, everything thereafter is gravy. Which is exactly what some investors are doing.

If you are looking for a capital gain in the Detroit area, I would focus on a suburb like Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, or Redford. These are all more stable suburbs with reliable appraisals that when Michigan turns around, these areas will appreciate where Detroit is a gamble.

It all depends on what your strategy is as an investor, the one thing I do believe about Michigan is that this is the buying opportunity of my lifetime, so I am buying every deal that I can right now that makes sense. :)

Hope this helps shed some true light from someone in Detroit.

@highincomeproperty

Dan,
    Thanks a lot for your views – like you said, it makes a lot of sense when someone from the city itself comments on the post.
    Fully agree on the negative coverage vs. what is actually going on, I’ve been to Detroit quite a few times and I’ve been positively surprised, both by the opportunities, but also by the pride that still exists of being from Detroit.

You mention Dearborn and surrounding areas, we have also invested (mainly in rehabs for quick resale) in areas like Oak Park and other more affordable parts of oakland County as I just see them as more of a “safe bet”, are you familiar with those markets also?

[email protected]

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

If a city has lost 25% of its population in the last 10 years and over 50% since its peak I would say thats a pretty good reason to stay away. Many of the so called great deals are in areas that no one has lived in so 30 years. There are many other areas in the US that are far better.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

@detroitdan9

@nigel

Sounds like you are not big on Detroit at all :)

There are a lot of areas of the USA that are great for investing – depending on the investor. Some areas are poised for quicker capital gains than Detroit – but at a higher price point of course. So when you say other areas of the US are “far better” what are you referring to? What area and what type of investor in mind?

Have you spent much time in Detroit or Michigan to learn the market? Being based in Michigan really provides a great understanding of the market, trends, and specific areas to invest in.

As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat – same goes for real estate investing! ;)

@detroitdan9

@HighIncome

It is great to hear you have visited the area – there is nothing like seeing for yourself as opposed to having the media force their viewpoint on you!

Oakland county as you know is the top notch county in Michigan! The price point is higher but it comes with a higher price tag for a reason, Oakland county will appreciate quicken than Detroit when the market turns around definitely – it is just a matter of when that time comes!

How many deals have you done in Michigan?

@highincomeproperty

@ Nigel:
    I don’t want to sound like a broken record here, but every single city in the U.S. will have many different markets, all with different characteristics. We operate nationwide and have done so for the last six years, and Michigan is one of the states where our investors have the most success. I can also personally assure you that none of the deals we sell (or enter into for ourselves) are in areas where “nobody lives” but in areas that are really no different from other areas in cities across the country.

@ Dan:
    Yes Oakland County is great and a beautiful place to be, we’re actually considering moving up there in a while!
    How many deals – well, we got into Michigan middle of last year, and it’s higher than 20 and less than 99 :-)

[email protected]

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Well thats your opinion. I would not touch Detroit especially when there are far better areas for investors to put there money. Many Australians will loose money in the US by investing in bad markets. I am not pointing the finger at people here however many market groups push places like Detroit because it is cheap and target people that cannot afford to buy property in Australia. I am sure that you deal in a different part of the market but why buy in a city without a future. You only have to look at the film like 8 miles.

Email Me | Phone Me

@highincomeproperty

Nigel,
    That’s your opinion, and you’re entitled to that. But rather than just racking down on Detroit (and yes, I did laugh to myself when you based your research on 8 mile) why don’t you tell people what to do then? I know you are pushing your assumable mortgages and I don’t mind that, but you still did not answer what has been asked by numerous people of you, how you get the bank to sign off on those deals, as even back in the good days the banks were very reluctant to agree to let anyone assume financing, never mind an out of country investor?

[email protected]

@detroitdan9

@High Income
    I am with you, I did share a laugh about the 8 mile comment. ;) If someone looks to movies for investment decisions please let me know, I would be interested to hear your success rate!

@nigel
    Looks like we agree to disagree. It seems like you are not overly familiar with Michigan, which is understandable, no one can be an expert in all areas of the USA. What areas do you prefer to have your clients invest in and why?

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I am being a bit tongue and cheek regarding the 8 mile comment however a market with half the population since 1950, a 29% umenployment is not a great place to put your money. I deal in Texas which to me is far safer
    I believe you can make money anywhere. However I have not seen to many good people on the ground. I have been involved in the US market since 2005 and even ran a real estate firm in Texas. However you may be great operators

Email Me | Phone Me

@detroitdan9

Nigel,

I agree to disagree with you. Detroit is a great place to invest in, if you understand the market, the pockets of good neighborhoods, and the rental rates. It is very difficult for an outsider to come in and estimate the true value of Detroit without actually being on the ground and not afraid to get dirty to learn the ins and outs. I do agree with you on the fact that Detroit may not fit in your business operation because you have expertise elsewhere.

Either way, there is money to be made in every market, I do not think one is “better” than another, it all depends on what you are looking for in your investment.

Best of luck.

Dan

Profile photo of dandyinvestordandyinvestor
    @dandyinvestor
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    I am being a bit tongue and cheek regarding the 8 mile comment however a market with half the population since 1950, a 29% umenployment is not a great place to put your money. I deal in Texas which to me is far safer
    I believe you can make money anywhere. However I have not seen to many good people on the ground. I have been involved in the US market since 2005 and even ran a real estate firm in Texas. However you may be great operators

Hi Nigel, I see that you have been dealing in Texas for numerous years. I am just at the start of my US property investment journey and from the research that I have done I can see that Texas has the most stable housing market in the US. Are there banks/financiers that will provide finance to Australians? What sort of LVR do they provide? How strong is the rental market? Thanks in advance.

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

The housing market is very stable. Finance in general is still a problem. Our system is a little different we take over existing mortgages within the properties so it is possible to buy a property worth around $120,000 and only need to invest around $20,000. If you send me your details I would be only to happy to discuss what we do in more detail.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

After reading all these comments, a couple of things stand out very clearly. The first is that Detroit Dan and High Income Property both have a great insight into the Detroit market for how it is panning out today and in the near future. The second thing is that Nigel Kibel is full of it when it comes to talking about anything other than his own property spruiking in Texas, so why dont you stick to what you are good at Nigel and Im sure you are very good at it. Stay in Texas, do a great job but stop spreading all this demographic BS about areas you have little knowledge of it seems.

Suburbs mentioned such as Dearborn, Dearborn Heights and Redford as mentioned by Detroit Dan are excellent little pockets of Detroit to invest in as are Livonia and the Uni District and a couple or others. Have a look at this post for pictures of the houses in these suburbs .http://www.theblockblog.com/america/detroit-dodging-the-bullet/ – not exactly the slummy picture painted of Detroit by all and sundry.

Sure there are other areas one can invest in in the US – too many in fact, but hey stop bagging people and their choices in favour of your little slice of pie in cowboy country. Most investors are not complete idiots and will have at least looked at the stats for Detroit and Michigan and will make up their own mind. They don't need you to be stupidly quoting rapper movies to add to the negative hype.

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools and Resources for Investors with A Sense of Humour.

Profile photo of kevtraceykevtracey
    @kevtracey

As an investor in US real estate, I would by lying if my business partners and I had not seriously considered buying property in Detroit. I have a few Australian mates who have invested and are doing ok. However, I live in NYC and have a couple of native Detroit friends who often talk about how dangerous the city is. I know there are nicer areas that are less effected, but these are far and few between.

Before anyone jumps all over the article below, I want to caveat that I know this is a one off case, but it was enough to make me hold off Detroit for a while –

http://m.smh.com.au/world/aussie-trying-to-make-a-difference-gunned-down-20110510-1egnv.html

With all of the vacant factory space from the largely withdrawn auto industry, Detroit has the potential to be a gold mine if you buy now and a large industry, like textiles, has a few large corporations that re-locate there in 10 years.

However, Detroit is just too dangerous for me at the moment, but like I said people have done ok so far. Also, I noticed some posts talking about bank financing, in my experience, you can really only invest in these types of markets with cash deals.

-Kevin

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

It sounds to me that you also have a vested interest in your comments
    As I have mentioned before I do not get clients from Property investing .com

Secondly I do not bag people but wish to point out the issues of investing in some areas. I have also been to the United States on many occasions and even ran a real estates firm in Texas. So after 6 years of investing there I also think I have some idea of what I am talking about.

If you have comments to make about Texas then please make them. I have always said if there is evidence that Texas is a bad place to invest then present the information. To me a city that has lost 50% of its population since 1950 is not a good place to invest. If Dan is providing a personal services and is working on the ground then people may be able to make some short term money. Quite frankly your comments are rude and I do not make rude comments about people. My comments about the rapper were meant in jest. However if people make claims that a city is a great place to invest they should also hear both sides. My experience is that many investors do no where near enough research when buying property. The same thing happened 6 years ago and many Australians lost money.

I would agree do your research very carefully. If you are going to invest in a city like Detroit then go there and see it for yourself. In my view there are safer places to invest. However go there and make up your own mind. I encourage of my clients to Visit Texas and do there own due diligence.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.