All Topics / General Property / BCA and Maintainence

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

What would you do!!!

I have a property with an outside staircase leading to the front door..the stair is old and needs major repair and therefore I have had quotes to replace it.. The current stair is not compliant to BCA so a new Compliant stair would require a landing…

some builders are quoting to replace stairs as per existing for about $2500 and arent concerned about compliance….
    while others are quoting $5000 for a compliant stair..

I would prefer to not pay $5000 but I am concerned about my liablilty to tennants visitors etc!!! What are my legal obligations, what would you advise me to do in this situation?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Get a copy of the BCA and research yourself. Or ask the people who are quoting for a BCA compliant stair what makes it compliant. I think I can shoot you a copy of the BCA if you pm me.

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

There can be no more than 18 risers in a flight of stairs (i.e. in a set of risers not interrupted by a landing or floor).  Does your existing staircase have more than 18 risers in an uninterrupted flight? 
    I don't think you have any choice but to comply with current BCA requirements in building a new set of stairs.  The builders would also have a legal responsibility to comply.  You would need to seek Development Approval from your local Council.   

Participant
    @luke86
    Trev wrote:

There can be no more than 18 risers in a flight of stairs (i.e. in a set of risers not interrupted by a landing or floor).  Does your existing staircase have more than 18 risers in an uninterrupted flight? 
    I don't think you have any choice but to comply with current BCA requirements in building a new set of stairs.  The builders would also have a legal responsibility to comply.  You would need to seek Development Approval from your local Council.   

I am not sure if there would be a need for DA but you could check with council to make sure. As long as the new stairs are BCA compliant and do not alter the appearance of the house from the street then I think you would be safe.

There are a number of requirements for BCA compliance- the number of steps between landings, the size of the riser, the size of the tread, the width of the stairs, height of handrails, the list goes on. It is actually not that complex- if you have a read of the BCA it is pretty self explanatory and easy to comply with.

Cheers,
    Luke

Participant
    @luke86

And I forgot to add- if your tenant falls down your non BCA compliant stairs and injures themselves and sues you, your insurance would probably not cover the liability so you would may up for a few million dollars in compensation. I would definitely go with a compliant stair however I can not for the life of me justify a builder charging double just to add a landing.

Luke

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.