All Topics / Legal & Accounting / tax deductible?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of PropertySeekerPropertySeeker
    Participant
    @propertyseeker

Hi everyone,

my investment property has a small patch of grass in the backyard which is a hassle to my tenants, i.e insects, mowing etc. I want to replace the grass with say tiles or concrete. So is this tax deductible?

Thanks
    PropertySeeker

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A few questions: is it maintenance or replacement of an asset with a different asset?

Putting down a slab will require excavation, drainage, possibly concrete pump etc – so it won't be a cheap exercise. Concrete will also increase the heat-load on the house.  If the grass is in good condition, then consider a rent increase & offset by arranging for regular mowing.

Profile photo of Ren10Ren10
    @ren10

Hiya

I dont believe you could claim the full amount as an immediate deduction but u should be entitled to a capital works deduction.

Here is the link to the relevant page of the ATOs 'Rental Properties' guide.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/00237831.htm&page=22&H22

Profile photo of TC62TC62
    @tc62

The long answer is Yes you can! It would be deemed as capital improvements to the property in the form of a fixture and you would propably even be able to depreciate it as well. A quick call to a Quantity Surveyor such as BMT Tax Depreciation in any one of their national offices will give you the answer real fast!
    CHEERS!
    TC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.