Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of Jake HJake H
    @jake-h

Hi I’m 20 years old and live in nsw and I’m currently studying my builders licence (already tradesmen carpenter).
    I have 30k saved up in cash and I’m looking to get into the property investment game. Not property trading. I plan to buy a few houses over long term using equity of the previous. I was just looking for some advice? Has anyone been in my situation? There’s so many options but I’d like to tage advantage of the first home owners grant if I could. Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Who says the property investment game and the building development game are separate?

First, to get any building development going you are going to be chasing the banks (or finance brokers) for money. They will want to see a reasonable asset base to lend against.

Second .. a lot of developers build their properties … sell what they need to, and keep the rest as investments .. for their next borrowing schedule to lend against. Equity appreciation happens .. and they decide they'd like to build again .. off they go !

The sheer fact you have the carpentry skills in hand works good .. as you dont have to hire a tradesman to do that. If you need to get secondary skills, get a plumbing license too. Dont worry about electrics, leave that to an expert. From having placed my pinkies into an open wall socket, I can tell you the experience is hair raising. For painting, you can either grab half a dozen painting books and learn how to do things, or chase up a decent painter. All these skills and trades you'll need at one time for doing the jobs. And each one of these is a cost that can either be incorporated .. or eliminated when developing. And developing is all about minimising costs to produce a product that is saleable at a profit.

Start your investment with building a capital base, either through .. property trading (renos) or property investing (PPOR). You need to build an equity base for startup capital. Fastest option though .. would be through successful property trading.

Profile photo of Jake HJake H
    @jake-h

I’m not saying there different. I just meant
    I was going to try stay away from quickly
    turning over property for quick profit to avoid
    capital gains tax. Instead using the equity to invest
    more and build a property portfolio. Am I on the right
    track there? Yeah ill let the pros touch the electrics
    and plumbing but I’ve got enough experience on every
    other trade to fully Reno a home so I’m lucky there. At the
    moment I plan to buy an old house. Renovate it pretty quick and
    start renting it out and negative gear it and just wait on it until I
    can do it again. Does this sound like a good idea?

Participant
    @xdrew
    Jake H wrote:
    At the moment I plan to buy an old house. Renovate it pretty quick and start renting it out and negative gear it and just wait on it until I can do it again. Does this sound like a good idea?

Well, at that point you fall into the 'wait for appreciation' trap. The buying and renovating is good .. its buying .. and adding value, but the best idea for a budding developer is to extract as much out of the investment as quickly as possible. So .. your idea of the reno and holding really should be more like doing a reno .. then flipping it .. and doing another one. Get familiar with  the tax laws relating to property .. because you'll be playing them all the time. Start sussing out real estate agents, go with the ones you trust but .. become a familiar face with a good bunch of them. Some real estate agents will turn you a deal if you come up as the most likely purchaser. Its a good way to get deals.

The other way, which some developers do .. is to skip the agent altogether and offer cash deals to homeowners. Some people just want to sell and are prepared to sell at slightly less if they dont have to deal with an agent. That slightly less allows for more of a margin for you to make on the property when you onsell.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Jake H wrote:
    At the moment I plan to buy an old house. Renovate it pretty quick and start renting it out and negative gear it and just wait on it until I can do it again. Does this sound like a good idea?

Well yes except for the negative gear bit. If you do a good job on the reno you should be able to achieve neutral to positively geared.

xdrew wrote:

Well, at that point you fall into the 'wait for appreciation' trap. The buying and renovating is good .. its buying .. and adding value, but the best idea for a budding developer is to extract as much out of the investment as quickly as possible. So .. your idea of the reno and holding really should be more like doing a reno .. then flipping it .. and doing another one.

I disagree with this being the "best" idea. You lose a lot by selling. If you buy, reno and revalue you can extract the equity to buy your next one, thereby retaining an asset that will appreciate (above the equity you have just created) AND have your deposit back to buy again. With this strategy you can keep on buying AND holding. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Participant
    @xdrew
    Catalyst wrote:
    I disagree with this being the "best" idea. You lose a lot by selling. If you buy, reno and revalue you can extract the equity to buy your next one, thereby retaining an asset that will appreciate (above the equity you have just created) AND have your deposit back to buy again. With this strategy you can keep on buying AND holding. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Thats nice … for someone who is planning an investment portfolio. But what a developer should be looking at (if he's looking to be a developer quickly) is rapid cash and accumulation. It means he works on situations where out of a whole deal and improvement over and above expenses, he may make 20-30k on the deal. But because he's moving quickly he can accumulate on the couple of deals within a short period of timespace. I'm aware that he loses his CGT discount .. and pays full CGT on the deal. But until he's a couple of properties in hand .. with equity and cashflow the banks wont look at him for any further development plans. I'm viewing it from a developer perspective and not a folio accumulation. Both are good, and yes .. the drawing on equity is the best strategy once you have a small pile of equity to play with.

By the way, the initial reasons for CGT discount was to keep a pattern where the purchaser holds the property for at least a year. Its a means of preventing regular flipping of properties .. which tends to ruin the value scheme underlying the property. Its a great safety blanket for our current property systems values.

Participant
    @xdrew

Jake, I have re-read your first post. My apologies .. i was reading your post as someone who is going to use your carpentry to work your way into development. My apologies .. i have read a bit too much into the statement.

You want to use the FHOG grant wisely? Just remember that its used to get someone in and really exists to offset the stamp duty on a property. Its not going to be much benefit otherwise. The only time it really comes into being more to you is when the property is of a lesser value in which case the FHOG doesnt just pay for the stamp duty .. it contributes to the property as well.

The smartest thing i can give you for advice on buying your first properties .. either for investment .. living or using the FHOG is .. buy as much VALUE property as possible for your coin. Unless you are on an executive income to start with .. you'll be initially limited to around the 200-250k for borrowings from the bank. As you might guess .. that wont go very far in the current metropolitan area. If you feel you can take on an 'improver' do so. The whole idea since you are looking for a PPOR to start with is to get the maximum out of it. So look for a property you can add to … use a backyard and subdivide … a 2br you can extend cheaply to become a 3br .. something where you and your skills can provide the additional value to make it something great. Because thats the idea in the end, after a year of living in the property you can assess from that point on whether you rent it out (renters will wear out your property) or go on to sell. As your PPOR its going to be CGT free (there are conditions) but if you are looking for a base to start an investment plan .. that works great.

@jake-h

Thanks for Everyones reply. They are really helpful.

Xdrew, yeah I really wasn’t going to be a developer as such. Until I have a bit more equity and a bit more cash behind me or borrowing power I was just going to stick to the 200-250k mark (as you said). And work my way up from there. The “appreciation trap” is this a bad thing? Just waiting for enough equity to make another move could be frustrating.

Catalyst you said I wouldn’t have to negative gear it if I do a good Reno, but I thought it was good to negative gear as you got tax benefits. Or am I misled? But your method of using equity to accumulate property is really what I’m leaning towards. Do you think though by doing this way I would be wasting money on interest?

Again thank you for your comments. Much appreciated

Profile photo of bm17bm17
    Participant
    @bm17
    Jake H wrote:
      Catalyst you said I wouldn't have to negative gear it if I do a good Reno, but I thought it was good to negative gear as you got tax benefits. Or am I misled?

Jake,
    As a most of the investors on this forum will tell you, receiving tax benefits should really be seen as an added bonus of your investing, not a reason to invest.
    If you use negative gearing, you are required to pay the shortfall between the rent and repayment using your after-tax dollars. Although this can give you solid deductions at tax time, it also limits the number of properties you can purchase because eventually banks will not lend you any more money due to servicability (your ability to repay the debt) factors.
    Hopes this makes sense

@jake-h

Makes perfect sense thank you. Again I’m really just starting out I’m going to research alot more before I do anything. Thanks for your help

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Jake H wrote:
    Makes perfect sense thank you. Again I’m really just starting out I’m going to research alot more before I do anything. Thanks for your help

Hi Jake

Welcome to the forum.

You’re at the right place. Keep asking questions and carrying out your research. You’ll be offering up your own opinions in no time!

All the best with the investing.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Jake H wrote:
      Catalyst you said I wouldn't have to negative gear it if I do a good Reno, but I thought it was good to negative gear as you got tax benefits. Or am I misled? But your method of using equity to accumulate property is really what I'm leaning towards. Do you think though by doing this way I would be wasting money on interest? Again thank you for your comments. Much appreciated

Hi Jake, just to elaborate. When you negative gear sure you save on tax but it's because you are LOSING money. It's always better to MAKE money. When you reno, you are not only adding capital (as I mentioned) but you will be able to ask premium rent. I've done a few of these lately. Purchased, quick reno, increase rent. All positive with min $50k equity (after reno costs). So they will pay themselves off. I can up the loans and buy again.
    Keep asking questions. You're on your way. Well done.

Profile photo of Blue Ridge HomesBlue Ridge Homes
    Participant
    @blue-ridge-homes

Hi Jake,

Just want to congratulate you on being a young gun – only 20 and getting your Builders Licence – awesome. 

We are bit longer in the tooth than you (but not old enough to be your parents!) but similar background.  My partner Carl is a Builder (Carpenter by trade).  Our strategy is a mix of build & sell, build & hold (rent out) and buy existing / renovate & hold (rent out) – with development on the same block where possible (ie., buy an old house on large block, reno and build 2nd dwelling at the rear).  Our sole goal with the build and sells is to generate income to enable us to increase our long term property portfolio.  You may be surprised but very few Builders actually have an investment portfolio – many just see the lights of the quick development dollars and thats where it ends.  Our sell developments are the equivalent to someone else's job – they are the fuel for the whole engine, in fact we have done almost solely our own work over the last few years and only at the moment (as I no longer work outside the business and we got affected by the floods on our farm and not eligble for any assistance due to having the outside business, building) ramping up our client work.   Over the long term holding property will put you in a sound equity position and enable you to gradually get into larger projects.  The FHOG wasn't around when I bought my first property at 20 and putting the 20% plus purchase costs together that were required then in the early 90's meant sacrifice. I bought another few properties down in Victoria in my 20's which we still own (10 years down the track) and when I met Carl the growth in those properties enabled us to leverage into other projects.  It is very rare to hear someone say 'gee I wish I'd sold that property' more often than not we look back and kick ourselves for selling out when we look at current prices.

I think your strategy of buying an older property using the FHOG, doing a reno and then leveraging against the increase in value for future investments as the opportunities arise is sound.

When you do start to look outside of PPOR reno's I definately recommend getting some Accountant advice on structure.  It may be that you don't put everything under one.  Some of our property is under the Trust entity, the build / sell often in the company name and some of it in our personal names.

All the best.

Meg

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Jake, you’ve god a good head on your shoulders by the sounds of things. Everyone will have their own opinions on the best way to move forward and build a portfolio. Learning how to crunch the numbers on any type of deal be it a renovation or a build is one of the most important aspects, as well as structuring yourself (finance & company wise) correctly before buying. Let us know if you go down the Reno path, we’re happy to help out :)

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca

Hi Jake,

Good on you for taking the first step in securing your future. I bought my first property when I was 21 with a lot less in savings, so you're already ahead of me when I first took the plunge!

<moderator: delete advertising>

My second suggestion, find yourself a mentor. Talk to your friends, family and others who you trust that have made some money from property investing. You'll be surprised by how willing people will be in mentoring a young and ambitious person like yourself.

My final suggestion, never pay more than you can afford. This comes down to knowing what mortgage is appropriate and running the numbers. Again, use the website to help you in this process.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

All the best,
    Jase

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Jake H,

You have received some very good advice. I will add another one. A conventional wisdom. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Creating wealth has many aspects to it, you can certainly use all of them. Generally on a case to case basis.

Should you buy and sell? It depends. Some you buy, renovate and sell. Others you sold on to. That’s not a crime, it’s a strategy.

Should you only invest in CF positive properties? A friend has one negative geared property and four CF positive ones. The negative one she continues to hang on to because it will give her the most capital growth. Nothing wrong with that.

Should you invest only in NSW? Again, it depends.

All I’m saying is this: there is no one sure-fire way to invest and make money. You can do all sorts of combination. You will still have your niche but there is no rule that says you must only stick to that.

For a 20 year old, you are sure impressive.
    Angel

@jake-h

Thanks for Everyones help. Its great everyone who obviously has experience gets on here n helps everyone out.
    So the big thing I’m understanding is there’s numerous options u can choose from and each has there pros n cons. I cant wait to get my first house but I’ve gotta wait until the bank will lend me the money as I’m self employed. Which is a annoying but it gives me longer to save more money.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.