All Topics / Help Needed! / Does a landlord have to pay for cleaning and mowing costs before a tennant moves in?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of MarmelMarmel
    @marmel

Hi Everyone

I have just a quick question:

If we moved out of our PPOR 3 months ago and did a complete clean; do we have to get a professional cleaner in for the tennants and pay someone to mow etc?

We have friends who have been keeping on top of this while our house has been vacant, but the realestate wants to get someone in to do it professionally?

Do we need to do this?

Regards
    Marmel

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

it depends. If you already have someone mowing & watering the gardens in your absence, then as long as they have been freshly mows, edges cut etc – no.

As for a clean, vacant houses can get dusty & full of cobwebs & bugs. So unless this is done it will set low expectations with the pm & tenants.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I don't know about it having to be professionally cleaned but it needs to be in the same condition you expect it to be returned in.

You can't lease out a place that needs cleaning and the lawns mowed then expect the tenants to leave it clean at the end.

Agents take photos (or should) of the ingoing condition. Are you happy to have it left like that?

We always mow just before tenants move in. Plus if it was vacant for more than a few weeks I'd give it a clean. That is how I expect it when they move out.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:
    I don't know about it having to be professionally cleaned but it needs to be in the same condition you expect it to be returned in.

Yep, agree with Catalyst. A professional clean may not be necessary (but can save you a lot of time). At the end of the day, you rent out the house in the condition that you expect it to returned to once that tenancy agreement finishes.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1

You’ve heard it said that you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression.

I would have thought you’d want the property to look good to attract the type of tenant that would look after it.

Esp as its your PPR – it’s a small price to pay for getting a better tenant or more enquiries

Profile photo of Matt.BMatt.B
    @matt.b

I agree with the others – it doesn't have to be professionally cleaned but it sets the standard for the property to be returned at, and it gives you a receipt to prove that it was done.

And on top of that it's tax deductible.

Matt.B
    http://www.realestateinvestar.com.au/matthew

Profile photo of MarmelMarmel
    @marmel

Hi Everyone

The house is in immaculate condition as we have had some fantastic friends who have been going in and cleaning it fortnightly since we have left. And I do feel the tennants will feel they are moving into a spottless house that has been professionally cleaned. And the lawns will be mown in the days just leading up to the house being tennated.

I agree with the posts  above about the perception from the property managers view and the fact that it will be tax deductable.

My issue is that to be honest I cannot afford to get the house professionally cleaned and if I can get away with that cost from the start it would help us out a lot.

Thank you for your helpful comments – I still am thinking about whether or not I should just get this done for tax purposes at least.

Regards
    Marmel

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

It'd be difficult to assess the situation from here since none of us get to see what your house really looks like and what sort of condition it's in. The cleanliness of a place or the neatness of the lawn is a subjective thing. For example, we could have a very lax landlord who believes 'reasonably clean' still means there is junk in the backyard and the grass is up to your shin, coming into contact then with potential tenants who absolutely want a place free of dust from the ground up, manicured lawns and nicely shaped hedges.

Personally, I believe that so long as your property manager has photographed the premises through and through and the tenants eventually return the place to you in a similar condition to what is depicted in the photos, then it's as good an outcome as you can hope for.

The statement about getting all this done for tax purposes needs to be considered more deeply. It is not necessarily wise to do something for the sake of getting a tax deduction because you're still spending money, even though the tax refund essentially makes the venture a little cheaper for you.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Marmel
    Tenants en masse are a mixed lot.
    But the best ones are attracted to ads using words and phrases like 
    "immaculate" , and
    "scrupulously clean"  and
    "would suit fastidious house-proud tenant" .

It would be in your interest to make the house fit that description.
    It is your opportunity to setup a win-win situation.

The property and tenant usually become a match.
    It's like Karma really.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of DafnnyDafnny
    @dafnny

Hello

When I advertise my rental properties I make sure I have internal and external photos of the properties putting down works like Bright and sunny , spacious and other good descriptive words will attract tenants. Tenants want to know whats around them i.e bus, schools etc.

Your property manager should be doing this :) taking the weight off your shoulders :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.