All Topics / Help Needed! / Due Diligence

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of karlm63karlm63
    Participant
    @karlm63

Hi All,
    Just a quick question,
    What in the hell is a Due Diligence.
    Every corner I turn that is the words I am hearing all the time.
    Is that the same as that buyer beware thing ?
    Can someone explain what it is please because I have no idea !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks karlm

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Karlm

It basically means investigating/researching – so in the concept of property investing, it means looking at growth patterns, vacancy rates, rental yields, infrastructure, etc.

Hope that helps

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

Due diligence = research

That is, studying your potential purchase to know exactly what you're buying into, or whether you should be buying it or not.

Profile photo of karlm63karlm63
    Participant
    @karlm63

Thanks for the quick replies,
    So where do I find this info from ?
    karlm

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Karlm

These links should get you started – http://passgo.com.au/property-data-websites

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jenny321Jenny321
    @jenny321

Due Diligence is a process in making sure if the property is in decent condition. You should review the surveys, check the outstanding violations on hte property, review the building permits, certificates of occupancy and the taxed due on the property.

John Property Investment Advice

Participant
    @fword

In addition to Jamie's websites and what's been mentioned above, you could look at sqmresearch.com.au to look for vacancy rates and myrp.com.au for other details.

Now the rest of this might be akin to teaching you to how to suck eggs, however I find Google (in particular, GoogleMaps) and the Melways to be extremely useful. It allows me to see exactly where my potential purchase is with respect to everything else (ie. transport, schools, shops, industrial zones, proximity to parks and the water). GoogleMaps is not entirely up to date however so this is where the most recent copy of the Melways comes in. And you could even compare the most recent Melways with the Melways of old to see where things appear to be going, or whether anything has even changed in the area within the last 2-3 years.

If you ask questions here about where the next hotspot is, you're not going to get any answers because nobody is going to want added competition. I think at least in this regard, the Melways and GoogleMaps MAY have helped me shortlist a few potential 'hotspots' (some of which have even been mentioned in the papers of late, and prices shot even before I managed to save to buy something there) which I can specifically target and investigate.

Realestate.com.au also has a little section where local residents rate their own suburb. It might be full of rubbish sometimes, but if you take care to read it carefully, there are sometimes detailed opinions about specific streets that are good or bad, or what amenities are in the area.

A visit to the local council to look at zoning, ask questions about the property itself (eg. any proposed developments in the area, building permits etc as Jenny mentioned) and collect a copy of the local newspaper. What sort of articles do you see in the paper? Does it reflect an area that has a degree of crime which the council is trying to stamp out? What about sports, culture and festivities?

Use the information at forums like this. What's the general sentiment of the market at the moment? Is it a frenzied market (in which case you might decide not to buy at all since things are 'overvalued') or is it a flat, cooling or even a buyer's market (where you could probably look to secure good deals and buy before things get hot again)?

Of course, ultimately you need to do the good 'ol legwork. Drive or walk around the area where your potential purchase is. Is the area full of well-maintained, quaint period housing or is there evidence of brand spanking-new luxury housing being built? Is the area about to welcome a luxury village-style or golf-links residential area, or low-rise luxury apartments (which could cause a rise in property values nearby)? Or perhaps all you're seeing are ill-maintained, disintegrating weatherboard houses, one overgrown lawn after another, and old rusting cars (or a tarted up wannabe sports car) parked on the lawns? Can you hear your neighbours in a fight or having a domestic dispute next door?

One of the common things I've read about investing in property is not to get emotional about your purchases but instead let the numbers do the talking. Is the property positively geared? Is it going to give you passive positive cashflow from the rent even after all the expenses have been paid?

I have wavered significantly from this 'rule' by getting very emotionally attached to what I buy. That's because I'm not looking to own over a dozen properties and be super rich. I'd be happy with just one family house in the suburbs and a beach-side shack for retirement (and with both the loans paid off). However I believe in buying a house that I would personally like to live in. If you buy something like that, you will attract tenants and potential buyers who are like-minded, people who are just like you. Look at it another way: would you prefer to deal with people who are just like you, or people who are radically different?

Because I have done this, the properties are negatively geared. This is NOT what I set out to do, and I did NOT buy these properties just to reduce tax…this is a VERY bad idea. To me, the negative gearing is just icing on the cake. My intention was merely to set foot in the property market and make sure I have a house ready once I move away from my parents' place and ready to start a family.

Everybody's intentions with property investment is different and that determines in some way the kinds of property they buy. What are your intentions?

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp

Hey karlm63 ,

Due Diligence is just a fancy name for "Research" (e.g. doing your homework to avoid you purchasing a lemon).

Hope that helps.

Participant
    @karlm63

Hey DHCP,
    Thanks for the reply,
    I am confused about the actual questions for research that everyone refers to.
    I have got those 20 Questions that Margaret Lomas uses in her book.
    Is that the type of questions for researching property that you people refer to as due diligence.
    Thanks karlm

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Here are some of the big ticket "due diligence" items to look into:

– What has the average annual capital growth of similar properties (in the same suburb) been over the past 10 years?  (You can find the answer in the statistics pages at the rear of the "Australian Property Investor" magazine, which your local newsagent should stock.  You want a minimum of 7%.  Capital growth is the increase in price of a property.

– What is the vacancy rate of the area?  (also refer to rear pages of API magazine).  You want it to be no higher than 3%.  If it is higher, it means there are many more rental properties available than there are willing tenants.  So you could be left with an empty property and a lot of competition.

– What is the rental yield?  Generally we aim for 5% but some investors are happy to accept a lower yield for a property that has a high annual capital growth rate.  You calculate the rental yield by getting the weekly rent, multiplying by 52, then dividing by the price of the property.  You can determine the likely rental yield by looking at guide figures in API magazine, but also by looking to see what similar properties are being advertised for (for rent) on http://www.realestate.com.au

– Is there are infrastructure coming?  (ie new roads, rail lines, rail stations, airports, shopping centres…).  If you call the local council and speak to the planning department nicely, they will sing like canaries.  Generally new infrastructure means it becomes more convenient to live in a suburb, and potentially makes it faster to commute to the CBD where the work is.  So in theory, the suburb would become more attractive to live in as a result.  Be careful of course if there is undesirable infrastructure going in.  For instance, is there a new waste disposal facility going in next door?

– Drive around your target area at several different times of day, and on different days.  Does the area become seedy and scary at night?  Is it generally a family area?  Do the roads choke with school traffic at certain times?  Is there sporting traffic to content with?  (eg as there would be around the MCG on a Saturday).

– How do the existing residents keep there places.  Neat and tidy?  Or does everything look to be a mess?

– What is the demographic of the town?  Is it mostly owner occupiers, or mostly tenants?  (refer http://www.myrp.com.au).  It would be better to have a higher proportion of owner occupiers as they tend to be more house-proud.

– Is there public transport nearby?  (Preferably a train station…. bus routes can be moved at any time). 

– How long would it take to commute to the CBD?  (Since this is where a lot of jobs are, and let's face it, you want your tenant to have a job).

– Are there schools nearby?  Family tenants will need this.  I think it is more important to be closer to a primary school since this is the era when parents tend to take their kids to and from school.  Secondary school kids are a bit more self-sufficient.

– The property itself; get a building and pest inspection done.  Attend the inspections and get the inspectors to point things out to you, and ask bluntly if there is anything they see that would need doing and how much they suppose it would cost you.

– Look at the cost of the water rates and council rates as indicated on the section32 document, which the real estate agent should be able to provide you when a property is up for sale.

– Chitchat to residents of the town.  Older people tend to have lived in the area for a while and seem to know what's going on.  If you see someone at the front of their home gardening, stop by and introduce yourself, say you're thinking of moving to the area and ask them what it's like.

– Are there shops nearby?

– What is the current smallest block size permitted in the area?  Council planning dept can tell you.  Let's say it is 300m2.  This will mean that a block of 680m2 could get subdivided (ie someone could sell their backyard and driveway).  This is great it if you own or are looking to buy such a place.  Could be a good thing to do, subdivide.  Regardless, the minimum block size tells you how built up the area is likely to become.

– What is the zoning on a particular property?  You might be thinking you'll whack a granny flat in the backyard and rent that out too, but would you be allowed to?  On the other hand, how awesome if you were looking to buy a house on a large block, and secretly discovered it was recently rezoned for medium density, and that you'd be allowed to bulldoze the house and build three levels of units and sell them off for a big profit.

etc etc.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @karlm63

Hey all,
    So what about the 20 questions that Margaret Lomas uses which is in her book of 20 must ask questions for every property investor !!!!!!
    Sorry if I sound blond ??????

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Karlm

Those factors listed in the book are also worth considering – so are all the other things listed above, particularly JacM’s and fword’s contributions.

There’s no set criteria that constitutes “due diligence” – it basically just means doing your research on a deal before jumping in. The collective info you’ve been provided with in this thread should help you with your due dilligence.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Due Dilligence is working out where how and who you are buying the property for. I've seen all forms of stupid when it comes to investing, and very clever forms of smart as well. You can ride with the standard bunch of questions presented in the investment books, but i'd even go further.

WHY – are you investing? Are you planning to sit on this property and hope and pray that you have made a righteous pick?
    DOES – the property meet your specifications for what YOU are looking for? Write them out before you go looking for any property.
    GEARING – Are you investing at a level to best take advantage of the property? Two out of every three investors dont, its not a stupid question.
    TIMING – how is the property clock turning in this area? is the area valued well, over valued or yet to happen? Will inflation or interest rates affect my purchase?
    AFFECT – can I change the idea of what my property is, to anyone who will be wanting it?
    finally
    ME – is this a deal that works for me in the near future?? will it affect my well being (stress) or bottom line (money)

You should be asking each and every one of these questions. These questions extend beyond the position, price and presentation of the property and should be the essence of why you invest.

Participant
    @karlm63

Thanks everyone for the replies,
    I better start and put some sort of list together and start buying property.
    I still have not a clue about this list yet but 1 thing i do know is positive cashflow is the go !!!!!!!
    Thanks again karlm
    TO BE CONTINUED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp
    karlm63 wrote:
    Hey all,
    So what about the 20 questions that Margaret Lomas uses which is in her book of 20 must ask questions for every property investor !!!!!!
    Sorry if I sound blond ??????

Those 20 questions that Lomas came up with, were simply research questions regarding the target area. To put is simply, ask those questions before you purchase a top performing IP. If you have not asked enough relevant questions as she prescribed you might end up buying a lemon.

Hope that is clear enough.

Participant
    @fword
    karlm63 wrote:
    I still have not a clue about this list yet but 1 thing i do know is positive cashflow is the go !!!!!!!
    Thanks again karlm

Congratulations. The best part about this is that you're taking action. Progress was never achieved by people who sit on their hands and do nothing. Hope you find a property that works well for your portfolio.

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a
    karlm63 wrote:
    Thanks again karlm

Good luck Karl!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Property networking evenings in your city are a wonderful place to network and gain some knowledge, the type of groups that provide education without trying to direct sell you something, so education instead of marketing, difficult to tell the difference sometimes when you are just starting out.

Profile photo of lulu1lulu1
    Participant
    @lulu1

HI ALL

This quote is from xdrew

{TIMING – how is the property clock turning in this area? is the area valued well, over valued or yet to happen? Will inflation or interest rates affect my purchase}
    where do you get this info from , is this in the back of property magazines and is it referring to the percentage growths over 1,3,5,10,years and could someone explain how to read these please
    Thanks Lorraine

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.