All Topics / Help Needed! / How does it work?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of naledgenaledge
    @naledge

I’m 19 years old, I want to get a small home loan, buy a small unit, fix it up a little and rent it out.

I feel like I’m too young, but in five years I’ll still feel too young, another five years and it’ll be too late. I see so many people at 18 or 19 buying houses. Twenty years ago people my age were doing it all the time. I don’t understand why I feel like I’m too young to do it.

So I want to know, do you recommend doing this? How do I make a profit? If I get a home loan to buy a $70,000 unit, I’ll need to make weekly mortgage payments of $115 and probably only be able to rent it out for $130. A $15/week profit isn’t worth it to me. How does it work?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi naledge

Welcome to the forum.

Age is only a number.

The bank doesn't care that you're 19. They care that you have a) A deposit to put towards the deal b) That you can pay the loan

Your right about that $15 p.w profit not being worth it. It would be a waste of time. However, what if that $70k unit was worth $140k in 10 years time? Is it now worth it? That's generally what investors are after, the long-term capital growth that property can offer.

Imagine having a few of these units, all appreciating in value while the tenant and tax man help you make the repayments?

Read up, do lots of research and save some cash. When the time is right, you'll be clued up and ready to enter the world of property investing. There's a heap of good books – if you do a search on the forum you'll find some recommendations. Grab them from your local library. Free resources like this forum are priceless – pardon the pun.

Starting young is great – and I'm all for it! But make sure you balance it out with living as well – you're only 19 once!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of naledgenaledge
    @naledge

I thought I might as well add; the reason I’m doing this is because I need financial security. I grew up in a low income household. I don’t want that anymore. I want to be financially stable in the future, I want assets, investments that I can rely on. I want to have a comfortable life and a comfortable retirement, not living from one pay cheque to the next with just enough money to live on. This seems like the best way to go, correct me if I’m wrong though, I know there’s a lot of hassle and a decent amount of risk.

@naledge
    Jamie M wrote:
    Hi naledge

Welcome to the forum.

Age is only a number.

The bank doesn't care that you're 19. They care that you have a) A deposit to put towards the deal b) That you can pay the loan

Your right about that $15 p.w profit not being worth it. It would be a waste of time. However, what if that $70k unit was worth $140k in 10 years time? Is it now worth it? That's generally what investors are after, the long-term capital growth that property can offer.

Imagine having a few of these units, all appreciating in value while the tenant and tax man help you make the repayments?

Read up, do lots of research and save some cash. When the time is right, you'll be clued up and ready to enter the world of property investing. There's a heap of good books – if you do a search on the forum you'll find some recommendations. Grab them from your local library. Free resources like this forum are priceless – pardon the pun.

Starting young is great – and I'm all for it! But make sure you balance it out with living as well – you're only 19 once!

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for the great reply. I’m really in it for a long term profit, but it’d be nice to be earning a little bit off of the rent. The main issue I have is if nobody rents it right away or if the tenants leave, then there’ll be a period of time where I’ll have to make all the mortgage payments myself and that might get a bit hard when adding in all my own living expenses. I’d like for there to be a way to make around $50 per week profit from the rent that I could put away for times when there are no tenants.

@naledge

I have another quick question. If I was to get a home loan, instead of paying the deposit upfront, could I use the First Home Buyer’s Grant to cover the deposit?

Profile photo of joehannjoehann
    @joehann

naledge – Only if you live in it for 6mnths in the first 12mnths from settlement.

Have a read of the forum and if you've got a questions particular use the search feature.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

To get the homebuyers grant, you have to live in the property for a bit before you rent it.  6months I believe.

Back to the matter of getting financially independant… forget about this business of living off the rent in the first year of ownership.  Think more like this: 

– Hold onto the asset until you've paid it off, at which point the rent can supplement your income, or be an addition to your superannuation
    or
    – Hold onto the asset for a few years till it has gone up in value, ask the bank to revalue it, and the amount by which it has gone up in value (known as "equity" can be used to buy a second property.  This is where your personal wealth starts to get really interesting.  You repeat this process a few times, and then in 10 or 20 years you sell a couple of houses, pay down all the other debt, and bam.  You are debt free and the proud owner of a bunch of houses that pay you rent as an income.  Yay!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@naledge
    joehann wrote:
    naledge – Only if you live in it for 6mnths in the first 12mnths from settlement.

Have a read of the forum and if you've got a questions particular use the search feature.

Will do, thanks.

JacM wrote:
    To get the homebuyers grant, you have to live in the property for a bit before you rent it.  6months I believe.

Back to the matter of getting financially independant… forget about this business of living off the rent in the first year of ownership.  Think more like this: 

– Hold onto the asset until you've paid it off, at which point the rent can supplement your income, or be an addition to your superannuation
    or
    – Hold onto the asset for a few years till it has gone up in value, ask the bank to revalue it, and the amount by which it has gone up in value (known as "equity" can be used to buy a second property.  This is where your personal wealth starts to get really interesting.  You repeat this process a few times, and then in 10 or 20 years you sell a couple of houses, pay down all the other debt, and bam.  You are debt free and the proud owner of a bunch of houses that pay you rent as an income.  Yay!

Oh right, I read a few different articles saying that you could defer the deposit payment, get the homebuyers grant and then pay the deposit with that. I guess that’s impossible though, I doubt a bank would want to wait six months for you to pay the deposit.

I didn’t want to live off of the rent. I study full-time and work part-time. I can live off of that, and when I finish my degree my income will be even higher. What I want is for the rent to completely cover the mortgage payments.

I earn enough that I would be able to cover mortgage payments if I need to (if there is no tenant to pay it for me with their rent). But to save up $7000 for a deposit would take at least a year, probably closer to two. Is there any other way?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

By the way, when Jamie mentioned that the tax man helps you make the payments, here is what he meant:

– Let's say the INCOME (ie rent) on the property is say, $10k a year and the COSTS (ie bank interest, council rates, insurance etc) are say, £13k a year.  That's a difference of $3k that you have to fork out until the rents eventually go up to the point where the property "pays for itself".  In the meantime the $3k can be declared on your tax return and you get a refund on a portion of it.  This is referred to as negative gearing.

– Now here's the golden nugget you may not know about.  DEPRECIATION.  The carpets, window coverings (curtains) etc etc will all age with time.  They will depreciate.  A quantity surveyor can write up a depreciation schedule that declares an amount per year you are allowed to put down on your tax return each year.  It could be say $6k in the first year.  This would thus reduce your taxable income and you get some refund from the taxman.  Nice!  Further, if the property was built after 1985, further benefits are available in the way of depreciation of the building itself.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Naledge

You generally have to provide 5% genuine savings over at least a 3 month period. There are other costs involved in purchasing as well such as stamp duty (which there's often concessions for first home buyers), legal fees, govt. taxes, etc.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Serena61Serena61
    @serena61

Its not about the 15 dollar profit now, its about what it can become, in five years time that properties income will fuel another and probably double what you pay today. I wished I had the money to do it at 19. Because at 19 I had the foresight you had, i even knew where I wanted to buy if i had the money, but commitments like school / uni etc, but with no money – it was a ball breaker. Today I looked back, had I done so, I can retire before i even hit 30. Sadly I had to start at 24. and now retirement age seems another 10 years further.

I used to study a subject  that talks about what money is worth tomorrow. Simple really, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Start early…

Participant
    @jamie-m
    naledge wrote:
    I thought I might as well add; the reason I'm doing this is because I need financial security. I grew up in a low income household. I don't want that anymore. I want to be financially stable in the future, I want assets, investments that I can rely on. I want to have a comfortable life and a comfortable retirement, not living from one pay cheque to the next with just enough money to live on. This seems like the best way to go, correct me if I'm wrong though, I know there's a lot of hassle and a decent amount of risk.

Fair call, that's what drives a lot of people.

Email Me | Phone Me

@naledge
    Serena61 wrote:
    Its not about the 15 dollar profit now, its about what it can become, in five years time that properties income will fuel another and probably double what you pay today. I wished I had the money to do it at 19. Because at 19 I had the foresight you had, i even knew where I wanted to buy if i had the money, but commitments like school / uni etc, but with no money – it was a ball breaker. Today I looked back, had I done so, I can retire before i even hit 30. Sadly I had to start at 24. and now retirement age seems another 10 years further.

I used to study a subject  that talks about what money is worth tomorrow. Simple really, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Start early…

Yeah, I think my commitments will get in the way too. Uni takes a lot of time, so I can’t work full-time. Although I could afford mortgage payments, it’ll probably take me a while to get all the money I need for the deposit and added costs. Plus I’m planning on investing in a managed fund soon ($1,500) and going on a trip to Vietnam in December ($4,500). So getting the few thousand for the home loan seems a while off. The sad thing is, by the time I’m in a place to save the money, more commitments will come up and it will be pushed back even further. I wish there was a way I could get started and pay the costs off in installments with the mortgage. It seems like I’ll never be able to get there.

Jamie M wrote:
    Hi Naledge

You generally have to provide 5% genuine savings over at least a 3 month period. There are other costs involved in purchasing as well such as stamp duty (which there's often concessions for first home buyers), legal fees, govt. taxes, etc.

So, roughly, purchasing a unit on a 70,000 home loan, what do you think the other costs would total, without the deposit?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Naledge

I usually factor in about 5% give or take for purchasing costs. However, everyone's circumstances are different. You can use the stamp duty calculator on my webste to work out that cost  – http://www.passgo.com.au/calculators

If you want a more detailed breakdown of costs feel free to shoot me an email. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call
    naledge wrote:

Yeah, I think my commitments will get in the way too. Uni takes a lot of time, so I can't work full-time. Although I could afford mortgage payments, it'll probably take me a while to get all the money I need for the deposit and added costs. Plus I'm planning on investing in a managed fund soon ($1,500) and going on a trip to Vietnam in December ($4,500). So getting the few thousand for the home loan seems a while off. The sad thing is, by the time I'm in a place to save the money, more commitments will come up and it will be pushed back even further. I wish there was a way I could get started and pay the costs off in installments with the mortgage. It seems like I'll never be able to get there. [/quote]

Sometimes it is travel OR save.  At 19 commitments are less than if you were in a job with 4week off/year and a family /schools etc etc. and so there is merit it living it up and travelling while you can.  The pat answer would be choose between the 2, but like someone said earlier, you are only 19 once.  Perhaps save a set amount each month (eg bank transfer straight into an untouchable savings account) so that after 12 months you have saved a decent amount for your deposit. 

Also it is never too late.  Apart from my PPOR, I started with property investing at 42 (1 year ago) and am not racked with regrets.  I travelled all over the globe and worked all over Oz (mostly while married with 2 kids) before settling down when they started school. Never too late, mate.

Incidentally some things, like your travel airfares can be got cheaper with the aussie dollar the way it is, by purchasing the ticket through an overseas website, eg purchase the tickets through UK can be cheaper than getting from Aust websites.-so I have been told).  If you save on that, put it away.

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Profile photo of Gordie1080Gordie1080
    @gordie1080

You are lucking you are thinking like this at your age. Soak up this advice and you will do very well. Wish I had started early but waited till I was in my 40's. Investing is the way to go. Numbers have no feelings, you do.

Profile photo of FYuanFYuan
    Participant
    @fyuan

Hi everyone,

I’m in a similar situation and thought I’d ask my question here instead of creating a new topic.

My questions are concerned with the process of getting a home loan (or pre-approved at the very least).

Like naledge, I am only 19. I never had a small loan. I also don’t have a credit card. Basically, my credit history would be non-existent(?). Furthermore, I don’t really have any assets.

I was wondering if this would be a hurdle for a lender to pre-approve/approve a home loan. Would it be necessary for me to establish my credit history?

I would also like to confirm whether you would need to show a period of time where you’ve made “genuine savings”. If so, generally how long would this period be?

Are there any other issues that I need to address in order to be successful in getting a home loan pre-approved/approved? Would a lender even consider lending 90-95% of the property’s value to someone like me?

If it helps, I live at home with my mum. So my expenses are fairly low. I should have approximately $400/week after expenses (this amount also considers some property related expenses, such as, council, strata and water rates and insurance). (I guess it’s obvious that units are a suitable entry point for me). However, I’ve only had my current job since November and I’m employed on a casual basis. However, the hours are predictable and consistent.

Finally, I would like to know how you would go about paying mortgage insurance? Is it possible for it to be added onto the loan or would you have to pay upfront or something? Sorry for my ignorance.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your words of wisdom :)

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi FYuan

Welcome to the forum.

FYuan wrote:
    I was wondering if this would be a hurdle for a lender to pre-approve/approve a home loan. Would it be necessary for me to establish my credit history?

No, it’s fine.

FYuan wrote:
    I would also like to confirm whether you would need to show a period of time where you’ve made “genuine savings”. If so, generally how long would this period be?

If taking out a 95% loan, you generally have to demonstrate at least three months of genuine savings (the 5% deposit).

FYuan wrote:
    Are there any other issues that I need to address in order to be successful in getting a home loan pre-approved/approved? Would a lender even consider lending 90-95% of the property’s value to someone like me?

If your credit history is clear, your borrowing capacity is fine and you can demonstrate that you’ve saved the 5% then you should be fine. It also comes down to the type of property you’re looking to purchase (ie. the mortgage insurer will need to deem it as a “suitable security” for a 95% lend.

FYuan wrote:
    If it helps, I live at home with my mum. So my expenses are fairly low. I should have approximately $400/week after expenses (this amount also considers some property related expenses, such as, council, strata and water rates and insurance). (I guess it’s obvious that units are a suitable entry point for me). However, I’ve only had my current job since November and I’m employed on a casual basis. However, the hours are predictable and consistent.

Casual employment since November is likely to cause you dramas.

FYuan wrote:
    Finally, I would like to know how you would go about paying mortgage insurance? Is it possible for it to be added onto the loan or would you have to pay upfront or something? Sorry for my ignorance.

Yep, most lenders allow LMI to be added to the loan. Some will only go up to 97% of the value of the property – others such as Adelaide Bank and ING will go higher.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Hi naledge

We think its great at 19 yrs old you are looking to educate yourself about property investment! Best of luck with your journey :)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.