All Topics / Help Needed! / Does rental income cover the loan repayment of a investment property?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of larrytheinvestorlarrytheinvestor
    @larrytheinvestor

I have been reading the book “How I turned $1000 into 5 million” and with his first property the rent covers the loan repayments that he has to make but this was in ~1970/80s when the house was $10 000 and the rest $145.

Basically what I want to know is when investing, does the rent from a tenant cover the loan repayments?
    (i assume the loan is interest only?)

Thank you
    Cheers
    -Larry

p.s i wasent sure where this topic should go in finance or help needed.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Larry

Welcome to the forum.

If the rent coming in exceeds the mortgage repayments (which are generally interest only on an investment property) plus holding costs (rates, management fees, etc) then the property is considered cashflow positive.

If the rent coming in is less then the mortgage repayments and holding costs then the property is cashflow negative. 

To answer your question about whether the rent from a tenant covers the loan repayments. If it were cashflow positive then yes, if it were casflow negative, then no.

Hope that helps

Jamie 

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of larrytheinvestorlarrytheinvestor
    @larrytheinvestor

thanks, so there are rental properties that would produce positive cashflow (ie pay for themselves) ??
    are they hard to find? Why would the tenant not just take a loan out on the house if the amount of rent will cover the loan???

Sorry about the newbie questions but im new to this.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

yes, there are cf+ properties around, usually in country areas. The bad news is that they probably won’t produce any capital growth. The tenant may not want to buy, doesn’t have the deposit etc.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    larrytheinvestor wrote:
    thanks, so there are rental properties that would produce positive cashflow (ie pay for themselves) ?? are they hard to find? Why would the tenant not just take a loan out on the house if the amount of rent will cover the loan??? Sorry about the newbie questions but im new to this.

Don't apologise for the questions – that's the forum is here for :)

They are possible to find and as Scott mentioned above it's particularly the case in regional areas where the rental yield may be quite high but the capital growth isn't as spectacular. I wouldn't say that growth doesn't occur in regional areas – it can be more sporadic (compared to urban areas) and less consistent but over time a regional IP that's held for the long-term should produce  results. If you grab a copy of Australian Property Investor or Your Investment Property magazine you can analyse the capital growth and rental yield figures in all areas of the country from the stats in the back.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

You might be able to turn a non-regional place that is cf negative into cf positive with a bit of creativity.  For example you could:

– Look at blocks of flats, strata title them and sell a couple off and keep the rest

– Look at houses with backyards sufficiently large to subdivide the yard and sell it

– Look at houses with backyards sufficiently large to house another dwelling (eg house, unit, granny flat) which you could construct and rent out.  A recent ruling in NSW has opened up the possibility of renting granny flats to separate tenants than the house.

– Renovate to bring the place into a higher rental bracket

– Pay a larger deposit and/or make larger payments in the early days of the mortgage, thereby reducing the interest payable.  Remember don't get a principal and interest loan.  Just an interest only loan with an OFFSET accout, which is where you'd put all extra cash.  Then in a couple of years when there's a fair amount in there, it is easy to just withdraw and spend on another property.  In the meantime though it saves you interest.

– Don't forget that particularly on newer places, a depreciation schedule could be the difference between cf negative and cf positive.  A quantity surveyor prepares a depreciation schedule for about $500.  In a nutshell, the building, the carpets, the window coverings etc, well, they age, and as such in theory they "depreciate".  The quantity surveyor determines how much they supposedly "depreciate" and writes down a magical figure that you can put down as a "deduction" on your tax return each year for the next however many years, to compensate for this fact.  So say a new place worth about $380k, you might expect a deductble figure of say $8k in the first year, which might amount to a tax refund of say $3k, depending on the tax bracket you are in. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

On the topic of regional property (but off the initial topic), how to people actually manage their regional properties? While it's possible to get an agent to manage it (as with all other properties), there would surely be occasions when repairs need to be made and tradies called in. After this happens it necessitates going down in person to inspect the job, make sure the tradie has done the job before payment is made.

In essence, I cannot imagine driving say, two hours one-way to meet a tradie at the property to get a quote (or even multiple tradies for multiple quotes), and then a second trip to inspect the said tradie's job and pay up. Do people usually trust the property agent to enlist his/ her own tradie, to assume the job is done and get the agent to subtract any payments from the rent? Isn't it possible for agents to encourage their tradies to charge more so that they get a cut from your payment?

Currently I have a place that's just 20 minutes from where I stay, and the number of trips I've made there just to get repairs done or tidy up the place after previous tenants have left is just enormous. I couldn't imagine making the same number of trips for a property that would take a 2 hour trip to reach.

Could anyone advise on this?

Participant
    @jamie-m
    fWord wrote:
    Could anyone advise on this?

I know where you're coming from. We self manage the ones that are close by and outsource the management on those that aren't.

This is where it's extremely important to have a good property manager on board. I usually seek advice for good PMs via forums like this, from investors I know that are within, or have investments, within the area. I also call a few to have a chat – see how many vacant properties they have on their books, what sort of rents their achieving, how they screen their tenants, etc.

I have no probs with repairs being carried out without my involvement. You can request that the property manager sends you photos of the issue that needs repair – if you feel that the price is unjustified you could call around and source some quotes.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    Jamie M wrote:

I know where you're coming from. We self manage the ones that are close by and outsource the management on those that aren't.

This is where it's extremely important to have a good property manager on board. I usually seek advice for good PMs via forums like this, from investors I know that are within, or have investments, within the area. I also call a few to have a chat – see how many vacant properties they have on their books, what sort of rents their achieving, how they screen their tenants, etc.

I have no probs with repairs being carried out without my involvement. You can request that the property manager sends you photos of the issue that needs repair – if you feel that the price is unjustified you could call around and source some quotes.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks. So I'm guessing that after the repair is done, you similarly request photos of the finished job from the agent? I'd assume that regardless of what job was done at that time, payment would already be made to the tradie. I just have concerns about repairs and payment being made sight unseen. Surely there are horror stories of shoddy jobs being done.

Although in practice, even if I inspected the finished product myself, it'd be hard to argue against payment if the job wasn't done to standard.

I've yet to ask openly about good and bad PMs. So far as I can tell, it appears that bad PMs are like bad tenants or bad tradies and you'll only know after you've used them once, and you'll be stuck with them for a while too until the lease expires. Speaking of which, would you happen to know of any good (or bad) PMs or tradies in the Geelong area?

@larrytheinvestor

Can i ask what sort of properties do you go for? Do you aim to purchase cashflow positive properties or do you aim to renovate the property to make it cahsflow positive or do you just aim to fix it up and sell it for profit using rent to lessen the amount you have to pay on the loan?

Profile photo of KlahKlah
    @klah
    larrytheinvestor wrote:
    Can i ask what sort of properties do you go for? Do you aim to purchase cashflow positive properties or do you aim to renovate the property to make it cahsflow positive or do you just aim to fix it up and sell it for profit using rent to lessen the amount you have to pay on the loan?

Work with your strenghts. I am terrible at renovating so I don't go there at ALL, plus in most cases you end up spending more than you initially budgeted for. My strenghts are negotiating so I generally look for bargains and desperate sellers with a good rental return.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    larrytheinvestor wrote:

Hi Larry

I'm a bit greedy. I tend to look for something that will offer decent growth and a high enough yield to bring it close to cashflow neutral or positive. I spend quite a lot of time researching areas that I'm interested in. I also aim to purchase properties that I can add value to – usually through cosmetic renovations. The effects of adding value are twofold – I add some equity and can achieve a higher rent. I also allow tenants to own a "small" pet which also equates to higher rent (due to a lower supply of pet friendly rentals). Depreciation also helps with cashflow. I love tax return time :) 

Cheers

Jamie

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@larrytheinvestor

Hey thanks for the replies.

Can i get a real life example of the sort of price-range you work in, amount you spend on renovations how much rent is, how much the loan costs you, how much you sell for?
    Sort of along the lines of: buy property for $300 000, rent for $_ _ _, renovations cost $_ _ _, rent after renovations $_ _ _, sold for $_ _ _, loan repayments: $_ _ _?
    Average amounts are fine.

Also do you do this in your spare time or as a full time job/career?

Thank you so much,
    Cheers
    -Larry

Participant
    @jamie-m
    fWord wrote:
    [Thanks. So I'm guessing that after the repair is done, you similarly request photos of the finished job from the agent? I'd assume that regardless of what job was done at that time, payment would already be made to the tradie. I just have concerns about repairs and payment being made sight unseen. Surely there are horror stories of shoddy jobs being done.

Although in practice, even if I inspected the finished product myself, it'd be hard to argue against payment if the job wasn't done to standard.

I've yet to ask openly about good and bad PMs. So far as I can tell, it appears that bad PMs are like bad tenants or bad tradies and you'll only know after you've used them once, and you'll be stuck with them for a while too until the lease expires. Speaking of which, would you happen to know of any good (or bad) PMs or tradies in the Geelong area?

Hi Fword

Sorry, I missed this one before.

It depends on the value of the repair. If it's relatively minor and seems reasonable then I trust their judgement. If it's a major job (which I've been lucky to avoid so far) then I'd request some pics.

The best way to find a decent PM, in my opinion, if through referrals from other investors. As for Geelong, I don't know of anyone in that area. If you post a separate thread on it you might have some luck.

All the best

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jamie-m
    larrytheinvestor wrote:
    Hey thanks for the replies. Can i get a real life example of the sort of price-range you work in, amount you spend on renovations how much rent is, how much the loan costs you, how much you sell for? Sort of along the lines of: buy property for $300 000, rent for $_ _ _, renovations cost $_ _ _, rent after renovations $_ _ _, sold for $_ _ _, loan repayments: $_ _ _? Average amounts are fine. Also do you do this in your spare time or as a full time job/career? Thank you so much, Cheers -Larry

Hi Larry

There was a write up of my our (wife and I) story in Your Investment Property in December 2010. It has some of these details. I'm happy to send you a copy of the article if you like. Just pop me an email.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I've heard that Elders in Geelong is very sloppy with putting the rent up each year.

One company you may not have heard of is ReLease – they are rentals only – they don't do sales.

I'd suggest starting your hunt for a PM by ringing around to ask to speak to someone in the property management department of each respective realestate agency and see which ones actually ring you back.  It won't be many, despite you telling them you're looking to recruit a PM for your property.  That will help reduce your list of contenders right away.  Then look at costs, and ask for examples of how they've dealt with various scenarios involving tenants and maintenance issues.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    JacM wrote:
    I'd suggest starting your hunt for a PM by ringing around to ask to speak to someone in the property management department of each respective realestate agency and see which ones actually ring you back.  It won't be many, despite you telling them you're looking to recruit a PM for your property.  That will help reduce your list of contenders right away.

Agree with Jac. It's a great way to weed out the poorer performing ones. If they are courteous and professional enough to return your call – hopefully they'll treat your prospective tenants in the same manner. I've had an IP sit vacant for three weeks while a PM looked after it – we began self managing and had 5 groups through the door the next day. That made we wonder whether the PM was actually bothering to speak with people who called up interested in the property. This was one bad experience we had – I'd never generalise and paint all PM's with the same brush.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hello Larry
    It also depends on how much your deposit is.
    There are many companies out there stating cash positive, but why use your money ‘savings’ when for a small amount per week input by you you can use other people’s money.
    Get the right advice.
    Kevin

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.