All Topics / Help Needed! / Selling or not selling?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of alan1237alan1237
    Participant
    @alan1237

Hi guys, I'm a newbie…

I've a PPOR with $600k with loan around $450k and an IP with $520k with loan around $300k, currently renting at $320pw.

I just signed the contract of an off-the-plan new PPOR and I'm going to sell my existing PPOR to settle the new one.

I'm not sure if I would have to sell my IP or not…otherwise the monthly repayment will be very high with both new PPOR & IP…

Please advise…

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum.

Only you can answer that question. Look at how much it costs to hold your IP at present and how much your new mortgage repayments will be. Combine those expenses with your living expenses and work out what you have left over.

Are there any ways you can improve the cashflow from your IP? Is your IP loan currently interest only? Have you got a depreciation schedule? Can you increase the rent at all?

Cheers

Jamie

Can you afford it?

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of alan1237alan1237
    Participant
    @alan1237
    Jamie M wrote:
    Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum.

Only you can answer that question. Look at how much it costs to hold your IP at present and how much your new mortgage repayments will be. Combine those expenses with your living expenses and work out what you have left over.

Are there any ways you can improve the cashflow from your IP? Is your IP loan currently interest only? Have you got a depreciation schedule? Can you increase the rent at all?

Cheers

Jamie

Can you afford it?

Thanks Jamie, as my IP value has gone up around 40% in these 2 years, just wondering if I am going to revalue this IP and take out some cash from the capital gain to buy some shares, will it generate more monthly repayment?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Alan

Yes, if you increase the loan amount the monthly repayments will also increase.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @alan1237
    Jamie M wrote:
    Hi Alan Yes, if you increase the loan amount the monthly repayments will also increase.

Thanks Jamie, but how much repayment rise we're talking about?

I bought my IP 2 years ago @$370k and and had a loan with $300k.

Now the value should be around $520k, so the gain is around $150k…  

Participant
    @alan1237

And the loan is Interest only

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Alan

You can play around with the repayment calculator on my companies website – http://www.passgo.com.au/calculators

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Blank FrankBlank Frank
    Participant
    @blank-frank

<Moderator: delete flame>

Participant
    @alan1237

I just want to know a bit more before making the next investment…that's it

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca
    alan1237 wrote:
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie…

I've a PPOR with $600k with loan around $450k and an IP with $520k with loan around $300k, currently renting at $320pw.

I just signed the contract of an off-the-plan new PPOR and I'm going to sell my existing PPOR to settle the new one.

I'm not sure if I would have to sell my IP or not…otherwise the monthly repayment will be very high with both new PPOR & IP…

Please advise…

Hi Alan,

Interesting question.

Why don't you turn your first PPOR into an investment property by renting it out? Given that you've already created some equity in the first property, you can convert your mortgage for all of your properties into interest only loan with an offset account. This will reduce your repayments significantly given that you've got rental cash inflow, potentially over time your interest payments will reduce as your offset account increases, some negative gearing tax benefit and a lower repayment rate.

I wouldn't ever recommend taking equity out of your property and investing it into shares. Recipe for disaster if you're only starting out in the investment game. Plenty of professional hedge fund managers who geared up their funds to invest in equity have gone bankrupt over the last couple of years.

You can try one of the free suggested calculators to see if this solution could work for you.

Let me know if you need a hand.

All the best,
    Jase 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.