All Topics / Help Needed! / What would you do? Your two cents please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of rz2010rz2010
    @rz2010

Hi All.

Have spent time reading the forum threads (mainly IP to PPOR related) and have learnt a lot already.

Would like "your two cents" on what you would do in my situation.

I only have one IP (it's in Melbourne) and I have never lived there. I have always rented elsewhere.

The IP has been rented out since settlement in 2005 and the current lease ends in the next couple of months.

I now intend to move back to Melbourne and into my IP as I currently have no job and am living off savings.

The loan (standard variable principal and interest loan) balance is 250K and I have 100K in redraw. The current value of the IP would be in the order of 800K-900K (my estimate based on comparables).

The rent from the IP almost covers (80%) the minimum required loan reapyment. However I have always and continue to repay almost double the minimum requirement. I currently use redraw funds to cover the difference between the rent and the amount I choose to repay.

The main things I ask myself are

1. should I move in to my IP so I don't pay rent elsewhere when I have no job?
    2. should I switch the loan to interest only and pay the minimum until I get a job?
    3. I understand that the CGT upon resale will be apportioned on a time basis between IP and PPOR status but what else should I know given I expect to hold this IP for the long term (say another 20 yrs)?
    4. should I move in to the IP and then move out when I get a job and can then pay rent elsewhere and put tennats back in to the IP?
    5. am I doing a dumb thing by continuing to pay more than the minimum loan repayment using redraw funds?

I do expect to get a job relatively soon (within 3 months) and have typically had an annual income of 100K-150K.

I have no dependents.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Have I given enough info?

Thanks for your time reading this…..I hope it makes sense

RZ

Profile photo of CuthberteCuthberte
    Participant
    @cuthberte

you better move into your IP , and if you are alone , you better have rented some portion or the second way is to have a paying guest , it will also fulfill some of your needs .

Profile photo of John SJohn S
    @john-s

No idea the condition of your IP but moving in while you have no job could be a good idea to give the place a bit of a touch up with all your spare time.

Profile photo of rz2010rz2010
    @rz2010

Thanks for the quick replies. Always nice to know someone is out there.

I haven't even thought of renting out the 2nd room……..pretty obvious to some I guess but after years of single living common sense becomes less common. Definitely the easiest way to reduce costs.

The place is a little tired after 5 years of being rented out so will definitely try to turn my not so handy hands to simple touch up stuff.

If I understand things right I could still benefit from the six year rule even if I move into it now and use it for a PPOR but sell it within 6 yrs of original settlement. I have not had any PPOR to date. Is my understanding right?

Not that I'm thinking off selling but nice to know all the options.

RZ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.