All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Young Investor needs advice – now living overseas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of LostinNZLostinNZ
    @lostinnz

I'm absolutely lost and confused as to what to do with my investment  property back in OZ
    The nitty gritty:

– I got a first Home Owners grant to purchase a property in 2003.– I lived in it for a little over a year and then rented it out (2005)– About the same time I decided to move to NZ (2005)– After some short term employments in NZ I entered into a long term contract and decided to make NZ my home about a year or so into my time in NZ.– I then decided to buy a home here in NZ (also 2005)– I now wish to sell my home in Australia, and am wondering whether a CGT exemption applies (ie. the 6 year rule)? I am trying to decide whether it makes more financial sense to sell up in Australia and bring by funds here (to be freehold on my NZ home)  

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1.  Is there any capital gains exemption if I sell my Aus home now (2010)– essentially deciding to cash out of Australia and make NZ my permanent home?

2.  Would selling my home in Australia, and buying another Australian home (ie. to essentially "upgrade" to a better rental) – make any difference to my capital gains standings… ie. would I then be entitled to the 6 rule on the new purchase? Would I still pag the whole capital gains amount?  ?

Profile photo of omegapartnersomegapartners
    @omegapartners

YoungInvestor

Recently posted an article discussing this type of scenario

http://www.omegapartners.com.au/2010/12/capital-gains-tax-renting-the-family-home/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.